Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Question About Kabul Airport in the 1970's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP
Photo Question About Kabul Airport in the 1970's

So an obscure question here- my pops flew through Kabul airport in the 1970's and remembers a large statue of an animal, possibly a ram, that was very popular and had many people taking pictures with it. Apparently many Indian travelers, including family members, knew of this statue.

I've tried to find photos of this mystery statue for him (he won't stop asking) but can find nothing...

Does anyone remember this supposed Kabul statue? Or possibly have a picture of it?

Not holding my breath but if anyone has any information on this I'd really appreciate it!

Now I've done my part so I can tell him to stop asking.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
When I was there a few years ago (2021) there was a sort of fountain with several dolphins immediately outside the domestic terminal (which would have been the only terminal in the 70s). A Google search (look for: dolphins Hamid Karzai Airport) will unearth a few photos of it. I think the fountain was renovated around 2020 as it was covered and behind barriers for a bit.

I thought it strange as I would be surprised if Afghanistan has many dolphins living wild given it is landlocked.
sgtbalski likes this.

Last edited by cargueiro; Mar 12, 2024 at 7:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.