Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera for South Africa Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Camera for South Africa Trip

Going to South Africa this summer and taking a couple safaris. Not an experienced photographer but want to get a good camera to take photos. Prefer not go go over $250 but if willing to go up to $500 if really a good camera. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:51 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
There's no question that cameras included in the current crop of mobile phones offer a remarkable range of capabilities, so the first thing I'd do would be to see if your own phone's camera has extended capabilities. Or if you're thinking about a new phone, check to see if there's one that has a really excellent and versatile camera that's in your price range.

In numerous safaris, my own experience is that, if you're on game drives, it's important to be able to focus and shoot very quickly before the animal vanishes into the "thicket," as it's called in South Africa. You also need to have excellent low-light response and a bang-on reliable autofocus capability; you won't have time to tinker with the settings in the twilight or when the lion or leopard is moving. And while a big zoom range is good, remember that a big sensor with a LOT of megapixels means you can grab a wide-angle shot (less of a focus issue) then crop or enlarge the subject in post processing without losing critical details.

My personal camera of choice is a compact "bridge" (sometimes called "point and shoot") camera like the Panasonic Lumix line. These offer excellent optics, huge zoom range, and 4K video, if that's of interest. They also offer many/most of the qualities valued in higher-cost DSLRs, without the cost or bother of interchangeable lenses, things you don't usually have time for on safari. There are a couple of models of this line that come in under $500, and similar cameras from other companies that are the same or cheaper.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I just bought am iphone 15 pro max so I should be ok there. I had looked previously at the Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ 1000 II based on some recommendations from others so based on your feedback maybe that is what I will go with. Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:56 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
The FZ1000 is my own rig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.