Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What are good options for selling photo equipment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a Canon 70D and various lenses that I never use anymore. It's all just too heavy to lug around. I usually just use my iPhone, though I think I'd like to switch to a small mirrorless or similar camera. Where do people recommend selling this stuff? I'm hesitant to go the eBay/Facebook route just because I don't want to deal with scams or flakiness.

I'd assume a camera store would buy stuff, but I don't know any good ones in Chicago.

Thanks for ideas.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:42 pm

i did ebay, Craiglist and facebook marketplace

Craigslist was the best for heavy items
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I've had good luck on Craigslist and FredMiranda.com buying and selling.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 11:45 pm

The safest way is to go through KEH. You will not get top dollar, but you will get a fair price. I would look on KEH.com or call their 800 number and ask when I KEH buyer will be near your city or town. You can of course mail it all in to them, but why? KEH frequently sends buyers to local used camera shops. They have some strange arrangement with a lot of these shops that may work out for you. If normally they would cut you a check for 500 or 1000 for your kit, you have the option of taking local store credit. The store credit is then 10-15% more than what your check would be.

KEH is a good place to buy used kit or at least they were good with me when I bought from them and a product failed within the warranty. Refund, no hassle.

Hope this helps,
-JohnPaul
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:24 am

Similar to selling a used car ; the easy route will be the most convenient / least risk and also net you the least return
Or sell it yourself to get the best return but most risk as well.

Be knowledgeable about what you are selling is actually worth before selling it. Camera bodies devalue very quickly especially a DSLR now that mirrorless is more in demand but the lens if high quality can retain good resell value.
Searching Ebay for actually Sold listings or Fred Mirandas website makes sense as well as what the used departments at KEH, Adorama and B&H are selling their used gear for currently.
All 3 of those places would buy your gear for a low price (a good amount less than they are reselling it for of course) and any of the 3 are likely going to net you more than walking into a local camera shop that would only buy your used gear at especially low prices.

I highly recommend Fred Miranda (far fewer scam potential than Ebay, Facebook, etc..., knowledgeable sellers and buyers) but you have to pay for a membership in order to use the sell features. If you only have a few items to sell it may not be worth it and you will not be seen as especially trust worthy if your one and only post is a sales ad.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:20 pm

Here are some options for selling your Canon 70D and lenses in Chicago, considering your preference to avoid online marketplaces:

Local Camera Stores:
  • Central Camera Company: This established store (since 1899!) buys used equipment and has a good reputation based on online reviews [Central Camera Chicago]. They are located in the South Loop. Their hours are limited this week, so check before heading in [Central Camera Chicago hours].
  • Dodd Camera: Another well-regarded camera store in Chicago with positive reviews, Dodd Camera also buys and sells used equipment [Dodd Camera Chicago]. They have a wider range of hours this week.
Benefits of Local Camera Stores:
  • Get a quote in person: You can discuss the condition of your equipment and get an immediate offer.
  • Avoid online hassles: No need to deal with shipping, scammers, or flaky buyers.
  • Support local businesses: Keep your money circulating in the Chicago photography community.
Possible Downsides:
  • Lower offer: Stores typically offer less than what you might get selling privately to recoup costs and make a profit.
Additional Option:
  • KEH Camera: This online retailer specializes in buying and selling used camera equipment. While it wouldn't avoid online interaction completely, they have a good reputation and established process [KEH Camera].
Tips for Selling to Any Buyer:
  • Do your research: Find out the current market value of your camera and lenses online to know what a fair price might be.
  • Be transparent: Clearly describe the condition of your equipment and include any blemishes or nicks.
  • Take good photos: High-quality pictures will showcase your equipment and make it more appealing to potential buyers.
  • Have all the accessories: Include the original box, chargers, batteries, and any other relevant items when selling.
By considering these options and following these tips, you can hopefully find a safe and convenient way to sell your camera equipment in Chicago and move on to a lighter, more portable option for your photography needs!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:48 pm

BH Photo in NYC is retailer I have used when know want to buy new gear after trade in, you only pay tax on the difference on purchase price and trade in value received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.