Wiki Posts
Search

Nikon Reportedly Discontinuing Entire F-Mount Product Line

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nikon Reportedly Discontinuing Entire F-Mount Product Line

Nikon enthusiast site nikonrumors.com is reporting that, after nearly 65 years, Nikon has officially discontinued the entire F-mount product line, including all cameras, lenses, flashes, and all other F-mount accessories.

No one else seems to be reporting this yet - just reposting or linking to the Nikon Rumors article - but if true, this is a major blow to the world of legacy photography, both film and digital.

edited. See post below.

Last edited by anrkitec; Jan 26, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For context, Nikon Rumors publishing such a ground-shaking report about Nikon would be analogous to SeatGuru, PointsGuy, or View from the Wing "reporting" that Delta was going to turn itself into a ULCC with all-coach cabins with 16.9" wide seats with 26" of pitch, stop all international flying, and relocate their headquarters to NYC.

I'm going to leave my original post up for now, but this morning, Nikon has sent statements to basically every photography website saying that the Nikon Rumors report is not true. For their part, Nikon Rumors isn't saying anything and has left their original report up. I suspect that Nikon Rumors will keep quiet and hope that 3, 5, 7 years from now they will be able to claim, "See - we were right!"

“We cannot comment on rumors written on external websites. Nikon is continuing the production, sales and service of F-mount products,” Nikon Corporation
And while I personally hope Nikon's statement is true, it also makes sense. Nikon still sells hundreds of thousands of F-mount DSLRs and F-mount AF lenses each year, many of them to pros. It also could be that Nikon has ceased production on many F-mount products but still has years of supply left in inventory as these products are made in batches of thousands and tens of thousands. For example, Nikon's top pro-model film SLR, the F6, ceased production in ~2012 but was still supplied and sold new to dealers until 2020 and not officially discontinued until 2021 when supplies had run out.

Last edited by anrkitec; Jan 25, 2024 at 1:41 pm
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:20 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Looks like their April 01 post went our a bit sooner than expected. So much for scheduling.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Well - it's inevitable at some point, isn't it?

Nikon has made great strides in the mirrorless bodies with the Z9/Z8 and the retro-cool Zf.

Gotta rip the bandaid off sometime, don't they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.