Search

Six decades and counting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:05 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Six decades and counting

I'm feeling nostalgic (aka "old") and with DP Review closing, I thought I'd reminisce visually over six decades of taking pictures. Self-indulgent to be sure, but feel free to add your own images from days past (or long past, or prehistoric)...

1960s

View from my studio apartment on Russian Hill, San Francisco. $100 a month, Murphy bed, crazy downstairs neighbor who set fire to his mattress one night. My landlord was the Chinese owner of a corner shop; he was murdered, as was another shopkeeper landlord I had in the Mission District previously. Also two of my bosses were murdered in the same 3-year period. SF was very violent at the end of the '60s.

Chinatown, San Francisco

1970s

Old Covent Garden market, London. This image was taken in 1972, not long before the Covent Garden market was closed and relocated to Wandsworth. Barrow men, Liza Doolittle, flowers... still there, on film. Today's sanitized Covent Garden is nothing like it.

The Berlin Wall. It wasn't just a wall, it was a series of barriers, fences, minefields and traps. The Reichstag (still in ruins) is in the background in this image taken in 1974 (from a train en route to Warsaw on a business trip.).

Roadside repairs, Bukhara, Uzbekistan (Uzbek SSR at the time.) In the summer of 1974, I visited Soviet Central Asia and captured this image of a man showing his apprentice how to shoe a cooperative steed.

Grand Bazaar, Isfahan, Iran, taken during a 1976 business trip to Iran. The atmosphere in the country was very tense; one could sense things were going to get weird pretty soon.

Summer Bay, Unalaska Island, Alaska. After living and working overseas for several years I returned to the US and moved to Alaska, where I worked with several regional Native housing authorities to develop housing for their bush constituencies. Much of my work was in the Aleutian region.

1980s

Goose on the beach, King Cove. I was still working a lot on the Aleutian chain, where commuting sometimes required use of amphibious aircraft. In this image a Grumman Goose is loading/unloading people and cargo on the beach in King Cove.

Monument Valley, taken before a springtime storm.

1990s

Jerusalem of Gold (Old City taken from Mount of Olives)

Movie theater, Taveuni Island, Fiji. The building straddles the 180° meridian. Enter on Saturday, leave on Friday. (Not really, the date line jogs around Fiji)

San Francisco pilot, accompanying our transpacific freighter (Auckland - Suva - San Francisco) under the Golden Gate and to our berthing terminal.

2000s

Twelve Apostles (what's left of them) on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia

Leopard, Sabi Sand reserve, South Africa

Zulu village, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

Cape Horn

2010s

Yakutat Bay and Hubbard Glacier, Alaska. Went back to attend a god-daughter's wedding in Anchorage, decided to cruise up.

Bruja for the burning, Medina Sidonia, Spain

Jebel Musa, Morocco, seen from Gibraltar: the southern Pillar of Hercules

Buachaille Etive Mòr, sitting on the edge of the Rannoch Moor and top of Glen Etive, Scotland

2020s - Stay tuned.

Like I said, forgive the self indulgence.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Loving it. More please!
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Beautiful pictures!

I never was a prolific picture-taker when traveling. Lugging cameras around was never my thing. That only changed after I started going places with the dog, so 99.9% of my travel photos from the last decade-and-a-half have her in it, and there's almost none from earlier times (no digital ones anyway).

So in my memory Berlin looks like this:

Rio de Janeiro like this:

Italy like this:

LA like this:

and so on....
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:24 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Those are great! Lucky dog!
bhomburg likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
An amazing report - I hope to have 6 decades of photos in due time, as well (hopefully, it doesn't go too quickly). The world has changed so much yet also changed so little. Let's hope the world becomes even more open to travel, cultural exchange, and peace between all.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:50 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

So maybe a few more...

1960s

Bleecker Street, Greenwich Village, 1969. Same view today, https://goo.gl/maps/iRhLsEhHHCspKoJ76

1970s

Leningrad, now St. Petersburg. 1973

1980s

Midsummer, almost midnight over Cook Inlet, Anchorage, AK

1990s

Chocolatier, Bruges, Belgium

2000s

Naritasan temple complex, five minutes from NRT

2010s

BC ferry, Sunshine Coast, British Columbia

Last edited by Gardyloo; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC
Thanks for sharing. Lovely collection of images and stories.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:16 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Can't...stop...posting. Help...

1960s

Ken Miles in Carol Shelby's Cobra No. 98 at the USRRC in Riverside, California, May 1965

1970s

Art nouveau Cafe Jama Michalika, Krakow, Poland, 1975

1980s

Cutty Sark, moored at Greenwich, 1981 (I think)

1990s

Public market, Suva, Fiji, 1998

2000s

(With a tip of the hat to Steven Spielberg) - Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. (South Africa, 2009)

2010s

Dancing in the streets, Pont-Aven (Brittany) sardine festival, 2010

FriendlySkies and sea_jeff like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I love history (and photography), so really enjoying your photos and descriptions! Very interesting to get a glimpse into life over the years.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:43 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Well, this thread got topped, so I'll take that as license to add some more from the vault.

1960s

Oregon State University campus, November 23, 1963, the day after JFK's assassination.

San Francisco farmer's market, 1969

1970s

Codfish drying table, Gaspe peninsula, Quebec, July 1970

Men playing Pétanque(like Boules) on Christmas Day 1972 in Aigues-Mortes, France

Tent city, Tehran, 1976. Over a million people lived in this squatter settlement on the south side of Tehran.

1980s

Autumn on Mirror Lake, near Anchorage, Alaska

Old soldier, Brighton pier, England

1990s

The cat in the window, Knaresborough, Yorkshire

Pilot boat following our freighter, departing Auckland NZ en route to California

Hot air over cold Anchorage - balloon launch, Anchorage. (One of the balloons was owned by a buddy.)

2000s

Pool party, Sabi Sand reserve, South Africa

One stop shopping, Sydney

Going fishing, Paternoster, South Africa

A day at the beach, Concon, Chile

2010s

Laundry, Vejer de la Frontera, Spain

Late winter, Edam, Netherlands

Snow geese and Mount Baker, Washington

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.