Wiki Posts
Search

Pelican Case Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Question Pelican Case Worth It?

Amateur photographer here.
I carry around 3-4 compact cameras with small amount of kits (film rolls, batteries, etc) and wondering whether purchasing Pelican will be worth it?
Not that my equipments are expensive, but I tend to carry a lot of cameras around my neck and shoulder while travelling..it's giving me a bit of muscular pain.
I feel carrying all those equipment inside backpack makes it vulnerable and damage it well.
Any thoughts?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:41 am

Are you planning on carrying the pelican case around or just using it for packing to your location? The case itself will be cumbersome to carry around.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Pelican is for travel, it wouldn't be good for walking around.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a truly good solution for walking around. There are packs engineered for camera equipment that provide a fair amount of protection, but I have yet to see one that's anywhere near as comfortable to carry as a pack truly designed for hiking/backpacking.

I used to be quite a fan of the Peak Design camera clip--you fasten it around a backpack strap and it has a quick-release clamp compatible with ARCA plates. Secure but once you're used to it you can lift the camera virtually as fast as if it was just sitting there. Unfortunately, as I got in better shape hiking it ceased to be comfortable--I can't find a spot for it that keeps the camera out of the way and doesn't cause it to be over a bone. The "pad" they sell for it is not a pad, just a weight-spreader which does no good when the problem is a bone underneath. (It's also meant to be compatible with fastening around a belt, but I can't picture that being all that comfortable unless your camera is very light.)
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH, *G
I've carried all my equipment in backpacks for 15 years or so, usually they're in the ~25L range. I've enjoyed using ThinkTank and Tenba bags. They've spent plenty of time in trunks and overhead bins, and once or twice in the belly of a CRJ. Occasionally I put lenses in suitcases when I exceed the bag capacity, like a 300mm.

When I am walking around, I use the big bag if I need that much gear, or I pack it into a smaller bag, like my laptop backpack or a small day bag, which may have gear wraps or a camera insert.
This way, I separate the transporting and walking around aspects.

I carry my gear using a Blackrapid "side" strap, which I find more comfortable than a neck strap, and have used some cheap neoprene versions from Amazon as backups. I then use "QD" or 'quick disconnect' area plates on bodies and lenses which I can swap between straps easily. Fair warning, the QD parts seem pretty common gun accessories when searching around. Search for "arca swiss QD plate" to see what goes on the camera body.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
As mentioned up thread, Pelica cases are for transporting lots of gears on planes, buses, trains and what not. They are not practical for on location use. Besides, they advertise its contents!
With 3-4 small sized cameras (you probably have lenses as well) and accessories (such as tripods), they might fit into 25L or larger capacity bags. Some with rollers and fit as carry-on.
On the day of the shoot, I'd pick what I need and put them into a day-pack (definitely a backpack). I've done something like this for many years, including film-digital transition era.
If you spell out what additional gears that you take with you, perhaps FTers here might help narrow it down for you.
May I ask why you feel the need to carry 3-4 cameras? Not being nosy, just want to offer appropriate suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.