Search

Monument Valley Photography Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by seattle29
I went in December 2007 and paid to have the expertise of a local guide, found via this website:

http://www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html

They know the exact locations and times of day to get the best photos, and have worked with many film studios, professional photographers etc.

It's not cheap, but they drive you in their vehicle and your entry permit is included.
That's the tour I am taking, early am, a break for lunch and a nap, and then back out for sunset. According to his nephew, Tom does the tours himself "unless he is sick or has to go town that day". Then the nephew, Ray, does it. All very informal, no deposit, pay after the tour by personal check, travelers check or cash. No credit cards.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
SeAAttle, we look forward to a recap/trip report and any images you feel like sharing! Hope the trip was a blast--I'm counting down the days until mine in June.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I have been swamped since I returned but finally back to report.

Monument Valley was spectacular. Great weather and Ray, the Navajo photographer/guide, was exceptional. Picked me up at the hotel* at 5am and took me to his favorite spot for sunrise. About 30 minutes of shooting the sunrise and reflected light off the rocks. Ray (nephew of Tom Phillips) really knows his stuff. Would look at shots on the LCD and recommend changes in settings. Then another 4+ hours going to several other sites in MV. Back to the hotel for lunch and a nap. Ray picked me up again at 4pm and we went to Mystery Valley. Remarkable ruins, petroglyphs, etc. We did not see a single other person. The finale was an view of the whole valley with Monument Valley in the distance. Shot panoramas and many individual images for about an hour as the light changed. Unforgettable day.

Antelope Canyon was chaotic. Took the 11-1 photography tour - 8 people, only 5 with cameras and only three of us with tripods. Had a terrific guide but the other large tour groups (15-25 people) were uncontrolled. They were supposed to wait until the group ahead left an area before entering but that was not followed. Lots of shouting by tour guides to people who did not understand English. Our guide warned us to hang on to our tripods so they were not knocked over. Used bracketing but was often interrupted by people walking in front of me. Things did calm down but I never really got to enjoy the Canyon. The dust was a big problem. Grit in the lenses, etc. One of the three of us with tripods always had a blower to clear the lens right before someone shot. In the end it was worth it, but sometimes very frustrating. Have not really had time to look carefully at my shots, but some look very promising.

More later.

*The View Hotel is great with spectacular views of Monument Valley. Book well in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.