Search

Monument Valley Photography Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by penner42
I will third (or fourth, or fifth?) the recommendation for Antelope. An amazing place! I am 99% positive I did that same exact extended tour linked to a few posts above, in 2008. Highly recommended!

Upper Antelope Canyon by penner42, on Flickr
I am really looking forward to this trip. I plan to take a 16-35 vr lens for the Canyon. Is that a good choice? Assume I will not need a longer lens (70-200). A tripod is recommended. Is it really necessary?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Polarizer really helps bring out the color of the rocks in the bright light.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
I am really looking forward to this trip. I plan to take a 16-35 vr lens for the Canyon. Is that a good choice? Assume I will not need a longer lens (70-200). A tripod is recommended. Is it really necessary?
Yes, tripod is necessary. It's dark inside, and flash is useless as it lights up all the dust in the air. You're going to want long exposures. The picture I posted here was 30 seconds.

16-35 should be fine. If you have a crop sensor instead of full frame you MAY want wider, but shouldn't need it. The longer lens isn't needed, and you won't be wanting to change lenses inside the canyon. A ton of dust and you just wanna keep the sensor covered until you leave. You're also going to want to clean everything afterwards.

Also, you should check out the Lower Antelope Canyon as well. When I went, you had to pay a "tourguide fee" but could roam it freely and didn't need to have a guide with you. It doesn't get the light beams coming through like the upper canyon, but the colors and lighting are still amazing.

Edit: realized I had a link to the tour I took in that photo's flickr comments. It was this one (the photographic 2.5 hour one), not the same as the one linked above. I'm sure both are excellent, though.

Last edited by penner42; Apr 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, a tripod is mandatory, even with VR. IMO a DR-5/6 is also very useful though with a combination of LiveView and chimping it isn't mandatory. An MC-36 [or the great and cheap ML-L3 if you are using a DX camera] or some other type of release is also nice to have. You can of course use the self-timer or mirror-up function but a release is much easier/faster/less fussy.

If you still have your D700 then the 16-35 will be perfect, if you have switched to DX then it wouldn't hurt to bring a 10-20/12-24 if you have one.

When I was there with my N90s in '96 I only had an AF 35-70 f/2.8D and a AF 28 f/2.8D. I remember thinking that I would have killed for a 20 or 24.

Last edited by anrkitec; Apr 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Yeah, a tripod is mandatory, even with VR. IMO a DR-5/6 is also very useful though with a combination of LiveView and chimping it isn't mandatory. An MC-36 [or the great and cheap ML-L3 if you are using a DX camera] or some other type of release is also nice to have. You can of course use the self-timer or mirror-up function but a release is much easier/faster/less fussy.

If you still have your D700 then the 16-35 will be perfect, if you have switched to DX then it wouldn't hurt to bring a 10-20/12-24 if you have one.

When I was there with my N90s I only had an AF 35-70 f/2.8D and a AF 28 f/2.8D. I remember thinking that I would have killed for a 20 or 24.
I have a D700 and a D7000. Use the latter with the 70-200 to get extra reach in good light. For low images (performers at Jazz Alley, for example), the D700 and the 70-200 work great!

Must admit I don't use a tripod very often but know that I probably should.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:00 pm

I have a D700 and a D7000. Use the latter with the 70-200 to get extra reach in good light. For low images (performers at Jazz Alley, for example), the D700 and the 70-200 work great!

Must admit I don't use a tripod very often but know that I probably should.
With two camera bodies, I recommend bringing both in with different lenses on them so you have the flexibility of either one but don't have to change lenses in the dusty canyon.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2A, what time of the year were your shots taken?
Both were taken in April, but hey - it's all good all year in that part of the world. Have fun!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penner42
With two camera bodies, I recommend bringing both in with different lenses on them so you have the flexibility of either one but don't have to change lenses in the dusty canyon.
I don't have another lens that would be very useful. Also, lugging two cameras with lenses and a tripod is probably more than I can handle.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Both were taken in April, but hey - it's all good all year in that part of the world. Have fun!
That's when I am going! Really looking forward to this trip.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am confused about the requirement for a photography permit on tribal lands. The cost seems to range from minimal to several hundred dollars, and, according to some discussions, depends on whether you are a professional or not. The definition of professional is vague.

I have a Smugmug website where my images are offered for sale. Does that make me a professional? I consider it a serious hobby - a good thing since I have a busy day job and spend much more on photo equipment, trips, etc., than I get from sales.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am confused about the requirement for a photography permit on tribal lands. The cost seems to range from minimal to several hundred dollars, and, according to some discussions, depends on whether you are a professional or not. The definition of professional is vague.

I have a Smugmug website where my images are offered for sale. Does that make me a professional? I consider it a serious hobby - a good thing since I have a busy day job and spend much more on photo equipment, trips, etc., than I get from sales.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I think that you can honestly claim yourself as a hobbyist.

IMO the Navajos are more interested in the Peter Lik's of the world [not an endorsement of his photos images, just an example ] making tens of thousands of dollars from photos taken on their lands.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Can't help with the guide question (stayed on the allowed roads) but do NOT miss Canyon de Chelly while you're in the area. See the rim as well as the valley floor, e.g. :

This is gorgeous. Where taken? Missed it when I was there a couple of times.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:29 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I padded a trip to the Wave this summer (early June) with an extra day to account for the chance of travel issues (or possibly inclement weather, though if that's the case I'm sure the next morning's walk-up permit lottery will be hip deep)... so I think I'm going to tack on Antelope Canyon during that extra day.

I'll be interested to hear how the trip goes, SeAAtle, as I'm torn between the different photo tours at the moment--one which gets there at 10:30, and one which gets there at 11:30.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
I padded a trip to the Wave this summer (early June) with an extra day to account for the chance of travel issues (or possibly inclement weather, though if that's the case I'm sure the next morning's walk-up permit lottery will be hip deep)... so I think I'm going to tack on Antelope Canyon during that extra day.

I'll be interested to hear how the trip goes, SeAAtle, as I'm torn between the different photo tours at the moment--one which gets there at 10:30, and one which gets there at 11:30.
The 11:30 is specifically for photographers. I made my res about a month ahead and got the last seat for that day. You might want to decide soon since June may be even busier. Will let you know how my trip goes.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:05 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The 11:30 is specifically for photographers. I made my res about a month ahead and got the last seat for that day. You might want to decide soon since June may be even busier. Will let you know how my trip goes.
Thanks--I'll get in contact with the guides today to try to pin down a June slot (I can go either at the beginning or end of my trip, so I've got flexibility).

The 10:30 was also designated as for photographers, just from a different guide (both I believe are 2.5 hours in length designed to be there when the light shafts are at their peak).

Good luck and shooting!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I went in December 2007 and paid to have the expertise of a local guide, found via this website:

http://www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html

They know the exact locations and times of day to get the best photos, and have worked with many film studios, professional photographers etc.

It's not cheap, but they drive you in their vehicle and your entry permit is included.

Photo Guide Service

Guiding serious photographers is one of our specialties. Tom Phillips has worked with many professional photographers and knows the changing light of Monument Valley like no one else. A custom guided photographic tour with Tom is the best way to realize the full photographic potential of this spectacular and legendary landscape. For sunrise photos of the Totem Pole, we leave the Visitor Center an hour before sunrise. After sunrise, we then move on to one of three sand dune locations, and depending on available time we might visit two arches. Of course, 4 hours is not enough to exhaust the photographic possibilities of Monument Valley, but this is our shortest tour. For an all-day photo experience, Tom will take you out 4 to 5 hours in the morning and again for 4 to 5 hours in the evening. This leaves time in the middle of the day for lunch, napping or sightseeing. Specialized photo tours are $30 an hour per person or, for the morning and evening, sunrise-sunset tour, $220 per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.