Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Does it matter? I can clearly see difference between my iPhone and D810/D5/DF with even old D lense or new FL lens, but in the end if you got the image, the memory captured trumps all IMHO.

People obsess over gear and IQ and pixels because they can but often lose the magic of the moment/memory and capture
That's presuming what the whole intent is. If it's about the magic of moment, one would be better not taking any photo at all.
For me photography is an enjoyable exercise in and of itself. Thinking about how to capture something, and having all the tools available to exercise that vision.
And this is where dedicated equipment trumps a phone - precise manual control, tilt/shift optics, physical filters, zoom-effect (as in actually zooming during open shutter), off-axis flash, etc.

Sometimes I bring a camera because I enjoy it. Sometimes I go without to be unencumbered, and the phone does suffice as a simple capture tool just to capture something
gooselee and strickerj like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yanani
I like my Linhof Tech V for travel. Setup is quick, the camera is rugged, it stands up to the wind when I'm in Hawai'i, and I can switch between view camera mode and press camera mode at will, and all the pictures will be in the same format with the same lenses, which provides some visual unity for images made with different techniques.
I have to admit I would love to see someone pull out a Linhof on the road.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by wco81
I have the D750 and I got the Z7 in December

I don't think I'd pack both for a trip though I wouldn't mind having both handy.

I have also brought a Mavic 2 Pro drone with me for the first time -- currently on a Puglia and Amalfi Coast trip.
Which one do you carry the most ? i want to change the D750 to a Nikon mirrorless to cut weight and save space. Carry a D750 + lenses, Mavic Pro, A7II and a tripod can be pretty heavy. I feel like trading D750 & A7II for a Z7 would save me a lot of space and weight.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Deeetcha
... save me a lot of space and weight.
When I switched from my DSLR plus lenses and all accessories to my Olympus EM5 with equivalent accessories, I cut the weight by about 1/3 and space by 1/2.
satman40 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Deeetcha
Which one do you carry the most ? i want to change the D750 to a Nikon mirrorless to cut weight and save space. Carry a D750 + lenses, Mavic Pro, A7II and a tripod can be pretty heavy. I feel like trading D750 & A7II for a Z7 would save me a lot of space and weight.
I'm only carrying the Z7. I bought the 24-70 S lens.

But if you don't buy Z-mount lenses, you lose some of the size and weight savings.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Wellllllll just ordered a Fuji GFX100, will be a bit of a brick on the road but I'm excited about it.
sea_jeff and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Wellllllll just ordered a Fuji GFX100, will be a bit of a brick on the road but I'm excited about it.
Awesome, let us know how it works out! I’m intrigued by the specs but I’m afraid it’d be a bit too unwieldy for my seat in coach.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Rumors of new mirrorless Hassleblad coming too. They already have one but this would replace it.

Not sure if DJI kept many existing Hassleblad engineers and designers.

If they could produce a mirrorless medium format body around 1000 grams, they'd be tapping into something, though I guess the lenses would still be bigger and heavier than any full frame mirrorless or DSLR lens.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:33 am

Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star, Etc.
Best 1" sensor cameras for 2019

There's no doubt about it, Sony's RX100 series has better optics but from our research, if you want pocket-ability and a long range optical zoom (more than 6x) you'll be hard pressed to find a better camera than the Panasonic LUMIX ZS100. It's not perfect, we wished its low light performance was better.

It weighs 11 ounces, has a 10x optical zoom, a wide-angle lens (F/2.8-5.9 aperture, 25mm-250mm), shoots 4K Ultra HD photo and video, and has a 20 megapixel sensor.

FYI, Panasonic refreshed this model with the LUMIX ZS200 (which has a 15x zoom) but the optics and speed seem to have notably suffered.

Imaging Resources has a wonderful tool that compares the photos (of the same subject/content) being shot by different camera side by side that we highly recommend before buying a camera! The tool really helps to take the guess work and subjectivity out of most reviews.

Happy Travels!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
woohoo! Congrats on the big GFX. I’ve taken the GFX50R on one trip so far and it isn’t that bad but I really think that much resolution needs a tripod or IBIS.

Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:54 pm

I have the Olympus OM-EM10. It's half the size and weight of an SLR and takes amazing pictures.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahlerfan
I have the Olympus OM-EM10. It's half the size and weight of an SLR and takes amazing pictures.
m43 gives you a weight friendly option and the Olympus lineup has something for everyone!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

I think M43 and mirrorless APS-C is now endangered by mirrorless full frame.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by wco81
I think M43 and mirrorless APS-C is now endangered by mirrorless full frame.
Perhaps for the professional and serious amateur. For everyone else, size and weight still matter.

This argument was made back when high quality digital full-frames came on the market but less-than full frame DSLR cameras are still quite popular.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended

But if you look at APS-C like the Sony A6X00 series, it's lighter and smaller than the M43 cameras and priced about the same.

Other than Olympus and Panasonic, who's making M43? Fuji is going mirrorless APS-C and now even Panasonic is doing full frame mirrorless.

Canon with the $1200 mirrorless RP could be doing some damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.