Airlines Hike Pet Fares

Old May 23, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
It's a first! UA has actually lowered its in-cabin pet fee back to $125. I'm shocked, I tells ya! Cargo fees are still $250, unfortunately, but I guess they got enough negative feedback (and, much more likely, so many fewer pet reservations) that they decided to roll back the fee.

If only this were to start a trend...
Old May 23, 2009, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have updated the master pet fee sticky thread to reflect this reduction!
Let's see if any of the other majors follow UA's lead. @:-)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

And now your pet can fly Southwest!

They call it PAWS (Pets Are Welcome on Southwest) Pet fee is 75USD

http://www.southwest.com/travel_cent..._faq.html#fare
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommy777

http://www.southwest.com/travel_cent..._faq.html#fare
Tommy, thanks for the tip and I have updated the FAQ sticky on top of the board with this information.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
Wow, now that is new. I wonder why they suddenly allow pets? Are they desperate for revenue? (Sure, they claim it's to "enhance customer experience," but there must be a reason why they disallowed it for all these years and suddenly changed their minds...)

I do like that they don't require any health certification... while the USDA might, in practice I have never been asked for it by anyone except the airline (and even that, rarely), so this could save even more money.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:12 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The Southwest policy is interesting in a few respects:

1. No cargo animals.... that MAY be why they do not require any health certifications.
2. The carrier counts as the person's carry on. That is pretty harsh. I assume that means you cannot carry on a rollerboard?

Up to 5 (or possibly more) animals in the cabin at one time.... that could be loud if they don't like to fly....
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
1. No cargo animals.... that MAY be why they do not require any health certifications.
Maybe, except that other airlines require it even for in-cabin pets and I've been told it's because of USDA regulations, not because the airline cares.

2. The carrier counts as the person's carry on. That is pretty harsh. I assume that means you cannot carry on a rollerboard?
That's right, and that's pretty standard on most airlines that allow in-cabin pets. Whenever I fly with my dogs, we treat them as our carry-on even if not explicitly stated, because it's easier than trying to get into an argument (and gate-check a bag) later. I wouldn't consider it "harsh," either... most pet carriers are much bigger than a "personal item."

Up to 5 (or possibly more) animals in the cabin at one time.... that could be loud if they don't like to fly....
AA also allows up to 5 in the economy cabin, plus (I think) 2 in domestic F. Besides, could it be louder than the rest of WN's pax? (Just kidding!)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Interesting cepheid. When I travelled with UA with my cat once.... it did not count against my carry on limit... and I had no status.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:46 am

Any thoughts on TATL travel with a parrot? We have a blue and gold macaw that we are going to need to take to Europe. I am presently working here and when my wife joins me, she will need to bring the bird. I would prefer that he travel in the cabin, but with his total length,including tail, I am sure he would exceed the dimensions allowed.

I read where USAir had allowed someone to buy a first class ticket for a pet pig (full sized) and take it into the cabin. Why can't we buy a seat for a parrot?

Originally Posted by SmileyJoyz
My husband and I have an African Grey Parrot and have traveled from Boston to Chicago each X-mas since 2005. Since that time, I've seen several airlines (AA, our favorite) ban birds on their planes and others (Delta) raise the rates to ridiculous levels. I read this thread with some interest, but also dismay, that there does not seem to be a vocal enough contingent of travelers with parrots to share concerns with the airlines. Our bird weighs one pound. ONE POUND! And that warrants a $300 fee?!? My shoes probably weigh more than that.

Our parrot travels in a cat carrier in the cabin with us. Other than talking to people's feet (saying hello as people walk past the aisle during boarding is a favorite of his), he is absolutely quiet during the actual flight. Like a previous poster, most flight attendants are shocked when we get off the plane and they realize we had a bird with us. I guess most people expect him to scream the entire way? While other fliers suggest going to other airlines with less exorbitant fees, that's really not an option for us because so many airlines bought into the "bird flu hysteria" and lumped pet birds into that category. As an "old world parrot", Greys aren't susceptible to bird flu. And while I have yet to have a TSA or airline agent ask me for a health certificate, I dutifully bring my bird to the vet a few days before departure (another $100) to ensure he is healthy. There's a greater chance of somebody bringing in germs on their shoes than getting sick from my animal. But I digress...

An unfortunate conundrum of owning a bird is that they are not like dogs or cats that can be dropped off at a friend's house or checked on every few days by a caring neighbor. They are intelligent (research showing the mental capacity of a 5 year old child) and need human contact. Most vets won't board birds because of the care required. Paying someone to come to the house once a day to change the food would drive our bird crazy (would you leave your child home alone and just have a neighbor come by once a day for 30 minutes?) And so, we have no other choice than to A) not see family over the holidays or B) reluctantly pay the fees. I tried arguing with Delta this year that our round trip tickets cost less than the fee to travel with him and couldn't I just buy him a seat and then put him under the seat in front of us--no deal.

I agree with others that driving is the way to go (which is what we do in the summer), but risking that over the winter season with the threat of inclement weather just isn't worth the risk. So, I guess this is just my way of airing my concerns. I feel a bit helpless by the situation and wondered if others out there feel trapped by the fees like we do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.