Airlines Hike Pet Fares

Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Airlines Hike Pet Fares

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25333275/
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Indeed... UA hiked their in-cabin pet fee a week (or so) ago. For flights starting 18 Aug, the in-cabin fee is $125, up from $100 (which was raised from $85 only a few months ago).

Although I'm one who normally supports add-on fees for extra services (e.g. I have no problem with baggage fees), this is one example where I feel the fee is actually ridiculously large. I wouldn't mind paying a fee, as it's an extra service - the airline does incur some extra liability by transporting the pet - but $125 each way is just a bit ridiculous, especially for in-cabin where the airline incurs only liability and no baggage handling fees (and where the pet is guaranteed to be very small).

Some airlines still charge relatively reasonable prices, but unfortunately UA is the best airline choice for me given where I live and where I fly.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Pets traveling cargo class will also be subject to the same increase pets traveling as checked baggage in a large or extra large kennel will be charged $500 for a round trip. This is according to UA
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Pets traveling cargo class will also be subject to the same increase pets traveling as checked baggage in a large or extra large kennel will be charged $500 for a round trip. This is according to UA
Yeah, the large kennel fees are always double what the small kennel and/or in-cabin fees are. Even more ridiculous, I agree...

However, I think that most people who check large kennels are probably either moving (in which case the cost is probably small compared to all the other expenses) or the dog is "professional" (e.g. a dog show, in which case the fee is just a cost of doing business). AFAIK (though this is just an educated guess), the people who take their dogs on vacation (as I do) most likely have small pets and thus would incur only the in-cabin or small/medium kennel fees.

Not that this justifies doubling of the price...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:31 pm

I don't understand the hostility towards in cabin pets or the hostility against bringing pets into "pet friendly" hotels. I've posted about pet friendly hotels in the Hyatt forum and about the fee increase on the CO forum. A lot of the replies I've seen say that the fee is too little, or pets should not be allowed at all. I find a lot of other things more annoying while traveling.

Now, I'm not a "DOG" person, I like to think I'm a normal person who has a dog. I want my dog to go with us on vacation. Why do people have such a problem with that?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
I don't understand the hostility towards in cabin pets or the hostility against bringing pets into "pet friendly" hotels.
Neither do I, but there has been no such hostility displayed in this particular thread. (Yet.) Furthermore, these fees are not at all a reflection of "hostility," but just a way for the airlines to get additional revenues from people who think the fees are "worth it" to be able to travel with their pet (and/or can't avoid paying the fees, e.g. if they are moving).

So... while there's plenty of hostility around, and I also don't "get it," this thread isn't about such hostility, nor are these fees an example of such, IMHO. Given that, I don't think this thread is really the place to discuss that...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
I don't understand the hostility towards in cabin pets or the hostility against bringing pets into "pet friendly" hotels. I've posted about pet friendly hotels in the Hyatt forum and about the fee increase on the CO forum. A lot of the replies I've seen say that the fee is too little, or pets should not be allowed at all. I find a lot of other things more annoying while traveling.

Now, I'm not a "DOG" person, I like to think I'm a normal person who has a dog. I want my dog to go with us on vacation. Why do people have such a problem with that?
I think it comes down to people already hating the flight experience and regarding it as "just one more thing."

A few years ago, we moved cross country and I brought our cat in-cabin for the flight. She was fine... for the first 45 minutes. The other 4 hours, 15 minutes of the flight, she mewed that horrible, pathetic cat cry that displays both her fear and annoyance at the same time. I tried to comfort her, but as pets aren't allowed out of their carriers, there wasn't much I could do. Luckily, there was an empty seat between me and the gentleman on the aisle (I did say it was a few years ago ) and he was very understanding. But I can see how it would be a huge annoyance for someone and I did feel bad.

Then there is always the allergy problem. We have a friend who comes over to visit and no matter how much I dust and vacuum, his eyes are watering and he's sneezing within 10 minutes. I can imagine being anywhere within 5 or 6 rows of a pet on an airplane with the recycled air would be a nightmare for him.

And, finally, I think there may be a bit of one rotten apple spoiling the barrel going on too. A lot of people resent even the possibility that someone won't follow the rules or control their pet in a confined area. I've seen people take pets out of carriers on flights and even saw one woman have to chase down her dog at one point. I'm not sure of pet-friendly hotels' policies toward disruption, and I've never experienced it, but I'm sure anyone who's had to sleep next door to a barking dog probably didn't enjoy the experience.

All that being said, I have to say I think the amount of the fee is grossly out of sync with what it should be. I think the thing I resent the most is that I actually paid $80 for the priveledge of not being allowed my personal item as the pet carrier had to fit under the seat in front of me. I wasn't actually taking any more space or requiring any additional in-flight services, but I had to pay almost a 1/3 (again, few years ago) of a price of the regular fare to fly with that same amount of space.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by OffToOz
All that being said, I have to say I think the amount of the fee is grossly out of sync with what it should be. I think the thing I resent the most is that I actually paid $80 for the priveledge of not being allowed my personal item as the pet carrier had to fit under the seat in front of me. I wasn't actually taking any more space or requiring any additional in-flight services, but I had to pay almost a 1/3 (again, few years ago) of a price of the regular fare to fly with that same amount of space.
This is the part that irks me the most. I am not receiving any additional space for my fare or "pet fee." I am certainly not receiving any service, other than the transport of the pet where a carryon would otherwise be. That is wrong.

As regards to the msnbc article, I particularly like the quote from the JetBlue rep: "It's unavoidable." Huh? Yes, the fee is unavoidable for me if I want to fly with my pet. It is not unavoidable for JetBlue. It is just another fee. When I did fly with my 6 1/2 lb. dog, he certainly weighed less in his carrier than many people's personal item, i.e. laptop and case.

I have seen this fee go from $50 o/w to $80 (post-9/11--why was that an excuse?) to now $100. The fee is out of line, IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
o2k thanks for the link to that article. ^

There are two points I would like to make.

1) Kudos to the airlines that are giving extra miles/points/free pet travel bonuses to people traveling with their pets. If they are going to chage such a high tariff we should at the very least receive something in return. @:-)

2) These increasing pets fees and all of the other ridiculous fees (checked baggage, etc.) are a poor attempt by the airlines to offset the soaring fuel costs that are killing them. IMHO, they should deal with reality and charge the correct fare that will absorb these fuel increases and not nickel and dime us to death with added fees for pets, checked luggage, changes on flights etc.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
IMHO, they should deal with reality and charge the correct fare that will absorb these fuel increases and not nickel and dime us to death with added fees for pets, checked luggage, changes on flights etc.
Fees for checked luggage, I can understand... the more bags you bring, the more weight you add to the plane. Fees for checked pets, I can understand, too, for the same reason (as well as to offset the liability that the airline incurs when transporting the animal in the hold), though I agree these are still fairly high.

But fees for in-cabin pets? Sure, it's a bit of extra weight (max of 20 lbs for pet, carrier, and supplies), and therefore some fee is justified. (I wouldn't begin to recommend raising fares to allow free pets, because 99.9% of passengers don't fly with pets - why should they pay for my pet to fly?) My beef is not with the fee, but the ridiculous amount of the fee, given that the airline incurs only minimal liability and essentially no added labor for in-cabin pets.

(Here's the real butt-kicker, though: since your pet counts as your carry-on, if you're not an elite member you have to pay the in-cabin pet fee and the checked bag fee. At the very least, you'd think they'd exempt you from the checked bag fee... and maybe they do, I haven't actually tried, but I doubt it.)
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:07 am

With the fees and fare increases recently we decided to try driving on our next vacation in August. The trips will be about 2,100 miles RT with our dog, I'm guessing it will take a long time with frequent stops. I hate driving long distances, but we're going to give it a shot and save approximately $800 vs flying even with the cost of gas. A $200 pet fee in addition to two $450 tickets each from NY to Chicago (at the times we want) is too much.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Will service animals still be free?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dorlee
Will service animals still be free?
AFAIK, by law, they must be free. IANAL but that's my understanding.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

My friend travels with her in-cabin, 4 pound dog once a week from LAX/DEN.
This uptick in pet fares have changed her thinking. She detests these inflated charges. OTOH, I love her little dog and appears I'll be doing a lot more pet-sitting. Fine, as I love her sweetie-pie and he gets along well with my dogs. Win-win for me..not for my friend who would love her dog in the cabin. She thinks the charges are just plain crazy for this little furball.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Pet fees are among the junkiest of junk fees. Consider that I can bring an infant on my lap for free, but it's $100-ish to bring the dog under the seat.

I can see charging something, though, not to compensate the airline for extra service (since there really is none), but to deter the behavior. I think neither the airline nor the flying public wants to have a cabin full of underseat pets, and having a relatively nominal fee helps limit the number of pax who bring the pets along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.