Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Charter flight to Europe for Pets - Care to share one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

I have been offered a position in Europe but I have a dog that I refuse to check in cargo and I can't leave her behind. I have looked into charter flights and they run $50,000 from NY to Continental Europe (if you're flexible with timing). Without flexible timing, it costs more. The planes hold 10-12 people. If anyone is interested in looking into this with me (with a pet or without with friends) let me know as I can't afford the charter on my own. Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Have you ever thought about taking it with you on a boat? This will take you about 5 days in total and should be way cheaper.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:57 am

Which European country are you moving to - the UK for example imposes severe restrictions on how pets can enter the country
Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by loriginCA
I have been offered a position in Europe but I have a dog that I refuse to check in cargo
It's really not going to have a lasting impact on the dog. I brought my dog to Moscow and back, in the hold, and he was fine. We took the nonstop DL flight JFK-SVO on the way there, nonstop SU SVO-JFK on the way back. I believe the return flight is something like 11.5 hours, with the outbound a little shorter. If you can do the transatlantic as a nonstop, you should be OK. I wouldn't do connections, but you sound like you can afford a night or two of stopovers.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

perhaps you could buy a single seat >
http://www.businessjetseats.com/
Old May 28, 2008, 4:32 pm

loriginCA did u find a way to travel to eu with ur dog?

potentially facing same issue. have 2 english bulldogs and they need to be in the cabin (even if i wanted to put them in cargo, i couldnt bc of breathing issues)
Old May 28, 2008, 10:26 pm

mm94065, have you considered the Queen Mary 2? It offers kennels on all TA sailings from NY to Southhampton. Then it shouldn't be all that hard to get to your destination. Certainly a lot cheaper than chartering a jet!
Old May 29, 2008, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jennj99738
mm94065, have you considered the Queen Mary 2? It offers kennels on all TA sailings from NY to Southhampton. Then it shouldn't be all that hard to get to your destination. Certainly a lot cheaper than chartering a jet!
Does any cruise line allow you to keep your dog in your cabin?
Old May 29, 2008, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp

Doubtful. However, the QM2 has a grassy area where the attendant walks the dogs and guests are allowed to visit the dogs, at least according to their website. I had looked into it when the QE2 was sailing TA.

I think mm94065 meant (when he/she said in the cabin) was in the airplane pressurized cabin because bulldogs have the pushed in face that can cause breathing problems if they are kept in th cargo hold. This wouldn't be a problem at sea, obviously, because no pressurization required!
Old May 29, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
I think mm94065 meant (when he/she said in the cabin) was in the airplane pressurized cabin because bulldogs have the pushed in face that can cause breathing problems if they are kept in th cargo hold. This wouldn't be a problem at sea, obviously, because no pressurization required!
I'm almost certain that the whole cargo compartment is pressurised as well.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
I'm almost certain that the whole cargo compartment is pressurised as well.
It most certainly is. Bulldogs do have breathing issues in general, but being in the cargo hold would be exactly like being in the cabin.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
It most certainly is. Bulldogs do have breathing issues in general, but being in the cargo hold would be exactly like being in the cabin.
I should have been clearer that the baggage compartment is supposed to be pressurized but it most certainly is not exactly like being in the cabin. There are temperature changes, light and air issues. That's exactly why airlines like JAL refuse cargo transport of bulldogs and other similar breeds. Other airlines refuse transport of them when the temperature is over 85 degrees.

Here is what the Humane Society says about air transport of push nosed breeds:

"Don't ever ship pug-nosed animals such as Pekingese, Bulldogs, or Persians in the cargo holds. These breeds have short nasal passages that leave them especially vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat stroke."

Last edited by jennj99738; May 29, 2008 at 10:40 pm
Old May 29, 2008, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I should have been clearer that the baggage compartment is supposed to be pressurized but it most certainly is not exactly like being in the cabin. There are temperature changes, light and air issues. That's exactly why airlines like JAL refuse cargo transport of bulldogs and other similar breeds. Other airlines refuse transport of them when the temperature is over 85 degrees.

Here is what the Humane Society says about air transport of push nosed breeds:

"Don't ever ship pug-nosed animals such as Pekingese, Bulldogs, or Persians in the cargo holds. These breeds have short nasal passages that leave them especially vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat stroke."
I have a black pug. He is also in great danger of flying. Poor thing gets out of breath just going on a short car ride. Some breeds just can not travel and other arrangements have to be made. I baby sat for a neighbor's Pomeranian for one month when she recently traveled to Japan. Best to look for a friendly neighbor than an alternative means of transportation.
Old May 30, 2008, 6:08 am

There are temperature changes, light and air issues. That's exactly why airlines like JAL refuse cargo transport of bulldogs and other similar breeds. Other airlines refuse transport of them when the temperature is over 85 degrees.
Interesting, I did not know that. Well, one more great reason to own a mutt!

Last edited by travelmad478; Jun 9, 2008 at 11:59 am
Old May 30, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
No. Agree with the QM2 suggestion if you must bring your dog. $50,000 is a lot of money!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.