Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying With Pets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Flying With Pets

I'll be flying SAN-DEN-OKC this weekend with 3 kids and 2 cats. Does anyone have experience flying with their pets that could offer some advice to make this as easy as possible? I am paying extra to check the cats through instead of bringing them on board so I don't annoy any other passengers (or myself) with any possible howling or foul odors.

FYI: I did read the info on United's website and have already made the reservations.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
three kids and two cats is quite the entourage. i've always taken my cat on board with me because if temperatures are high, the airline won't accept any animals as checked luggage. be sure to monitor that as that is day to day depending on temps.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
I don't see this as a UAL issue

it's a travel industry issue. I'd suggest you Google like crazy for suggestions, warnings, recommendations from animal organizations.

Just realize you're taking a pretty big chance whenever you put an animal on an airplane.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rc408
I'll be flying SAN-DEN-OKC this weekend with 3 kids and 2 cats. Does anyone have experience flying with their pets that could offer some advice to make this as easy as possible?
Buy seats for the cats and put the kids in the baggage compartment?

I've only taken my cats on a plane once (when I moved cross-country), and they let me take one in the cabin with the other two underneath. Most people these days recommend against sedatives (for the pets), but a lot depends on your pets and their health and temperament.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since the topic -- and thoughts on it and responses to it -- is not really a UA-specific issue, moving to Travel Buzz where there are similar threads in the past.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Since the topic -- and thoughts on it and responses to it -- is not really a UA-specific issue, moving to Travel Buzz where there are similar threads in the past.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Good idea.

Thanks all for the info. My friends are moving accross the country and I'm in charge of all the animals (kids included). They are driving so the flight is the only way to get them all moved with out 6 people and 2 cats being packed in a BMW. I did read about the kitty valium warning for pets so they won't be drugged for the flight. As far as putting the kids in cargo and the cats in the cabin, it is still up for debate which has the more noxious odor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.