Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

best acft for travel with pets, HNL-DFW, IAH, or ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2001, 4:02 pm
pmv
Original Poster

Moving from HNL to Fort Walton Beach FL in late May (5/28?), and travelling with three pets. Plan is to carry one in the cabin and check two as baggage. Also planning to take just ONE, NON-STOP flight to either DFW, IAH, or ATL and drive the remaining distance.

Have enough miles to upgrade (if seats are available) on AA, CO, or DL, or will fly Y if necessary on any of these.

Any recommendations (i.e. space under seat ahead, odd rules, etc.) would be most helpful!
Old Mar 30, 2001, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Confirm with the airlines that they will accept checked animals at that time of year.

Many restrict carriage during "summer" months.

Greg
Old Mar 30, 2001, 8:29 pm

Originally posted by pmv:
Have enough miles to upgrade (if seats are available) on AA, CO, or DL, or will fly Y if necessary on any of these.
Concur with Greg99's admonition to check with the airlines ahead of time, since most, if not all carriers impose pet embargoes during the summer. Having said that, I have flown UA, AA and DL in Y and F over the past two years, and don't have much to praise any of them. CO is reputed to have the best premium service to/from HNL of all the majors, but it is reputed to be difficult to secure upgrades.

Old Mar 31, 2001, 2:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

There was a lengthy recent thread on traveling with a cat at
www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004173.html

While the focus was the fee that airlines charge, you might find some useful information there on airlines and their policies about carrying pets.
Old Apr 2, 2001, 2:59 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
When Kwaj boy and I relocated to Kwajalein from Florida, we drove to IAH to get CO to HNL as this was mid-August and all other carriers had a pet embargo. CO seems to use temperature rather than date as the deciding factor: as long as the temperature was no higher than 85F at origin or destination at the time the flight in question departs/arrives, then taking the pet in cargo was OK (pets weren't allowed in the cabin for some reason). So we took that early flight out of IAH (temp was still below 80F) and got to HNL where the temp was also below 85F. In your case going the opposite direction, an evening flt out of HNL should also be fine, as arrival in IAH is early AM before temps go up. We flew B/F and the service was great; the FA came to us and let us know as soon as Tippy was boarded in the cargo hold and told us that the temperature and pressure would be carefully controlled for his comfort. Tippy was just fine when I met up with him at the airport quarantine facility prior to transfer to our military flight to Kwajalein; I have nothing but praise for CO's animal cargo process.
Old Apr 2, 2001, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Moving from HNL to Fort Walton Beach FL in late May (5/28?), and travelling with three pets. Plan is to carry one in the cabin and check two as baggage. Also planning to take just ONE, NON-STOP flight to either DFW, IAH, or ATL and drive the remaining distance.

Any recommendations (i.e. space under seat ahead, odd rules, etc.) would be most helpful!

The carrier has to be an approved carrier for airline underseat storage for the in cabin pet. THere can only be one pet per cabin.

I know you didn;t ask this question but I'll give my 2 cents.I have witnessed a lot of complaints from people who shipped their pets when moving. THe cabin temp is hard ot regulate etc etc. I would spend the money and conract with a firm that ships animals and is expert in what's needed. There are firms that ship show cats and dogs etc. and their services while pricey make a big difference in pets comfort and safety.
Old Apr 4, 2001, 7:38 pm
pmv
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Based on the newest restrictions, looks like my only options are United and Delta based on my travel dates. The other carriers won't even touch me after May 15th. Am booked on Delta through LAX .... get into LAX 9pm-ish and depart 1030ish with no change of equipment, getting into ATL at 545am. Temps at all stops should not be a problem.

For other travelers....AA currently has an embargo on ALL pet travel anywhere! ARGH!

BTW ... if a military move didn't force the timing of this trip I'd be travelling in the fall, and wouldn't fly my pets at all if there was an option to drive!
Old Apr 5, 2001, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB

BTW ... if a military move didn't force the timing of this trip I'd be travelling in the fall, and wouldn't fly my pets at all if there was an option to drive!
will the military not spring for a pet shipper???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.