Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a cat from Mexico to Boston via IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat

I wonder if anyone has any recent experience and/or advice on traveling with an in-cabin cat?

I did this frequently with a small dog in the past, but he was so lethargic he would sleep unless the meal cart rolled past. A cat seems significantly more problematic and we're only doing it as we have to move home for family reasons.

We've booked two adjacent seats in First on an A319 and then a 737-900. From reading the current regulations and checking with United there no longer seems to be a requirement for a 'certificate of health', just a rabies inoculation certificate, but I'm wondering if I should get both anyway to be sure.

I'm particularly curious about the TSA checkpoint - we have a sedation plan from our vet involving gabapentin and/or trazodone but she's not the calmest cat and I plan to put her in a harness style leash - will that all have to be removed? I have visions of her breaking free in a flurry of claws, fur and scratches and making off towards Ruby's diner.

And that's all without actually getting her into the travel bag - I've cleared the Petco shelves of anything promising a calming effect include a pheromone collar, spray and treats, but the jury is currently out on their effectiveness.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions gratefully received.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by penelope
I wonder if anyone has any recent experience and/or advice on traveling with an in-cabin cat?

I did this frequently with a small dog in the past, but he was so lethargic he would sleep unless the meal cart rolled past. A cat seems significantly more problematic and we're only doing it as we have to move home for family reasons.

We've booked two adjacent seats in First on an A319 and then a 737-900. From reading the current regulations and checking with United there no longer seems to be a requirement for a 'certificate of health', just a rabies inoculation certificate, but I'm wondering if I should get both anyway to be sure.

I'm particularly curious about the TSA checkpoint - we have a sedation plan from our vet involving gabapentin and/or trazodone but she's not the calmest cat and I plan to put her in a harness style leash - will that all have to be removed? I have visions of her breaking free in a flurry of claws, fur and scratches and making off towards Ruby's diner.

And that's all without actually getting her into the travel bag - I've cleared the Petco shelves of anything promising a calming effect include a pheromone collar, spray and treats, but the jury is currently out on their effectiveness.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions gratefully received.
It’s been years but I’ve traveled with 3 cats. I never sedated them in car or on airplane. Some say it is not a good idea. The loudest one wasn’t as loud as the engine noise.

How old are your cats? Our oldest had an accident when we landed and we took her to a family bathroom to clean up.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

She's 14 and in generally good health, but rather jumpy and hates the travel bag with a passion, not being a fan of the vet.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:46 pm

She's 14 and in generally good health, but rather jumpy and hates the travel bag with a passion, not being a fan of the vet.
My cats didn’t like the bags either. You might want to practice putting them in with something they like such as catnip. Then take them out and give them attention.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
My cats didn’t like the bags either. You might want to practice putting them in with something they like such as catnip. Then take them out and give them attention.
Thank you - that's an excellent idea!
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
That's the problem.... back when we had cats, the only time the travel bag came out was on trips to the vet, so there's the association. And when she's 14 now that's hard to change on short notice.
Get a harness/leash with no metal parts (something like this) so you can pass through TSA with her without anything going off, minimal drama and no manual search. You will have to get her out of the carrier at the security checkpoint and walk or carry her through. Harness and leash can and should stay on.
Doggie and me once helped to catch a cat who escaped during a bathroom break at MIA, that was fun Poor thing obviously craved some Mexican food as we trapped it at a Tequileria/Mexican eatery after chasing it all over the D concourse....
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
That's the problem.... back when we had cats, the only time the travel bag came out was on trips to the vet, so there's the association. And when she's 14 now that's hard to change on short notice.
Get a harness/leash with no metal parts (something like this) so you can pass through TSA with her without anything going off, minimal drama and no manual search. You will have to get her out of the carrier at the security checkpoint and walk or carry her through. Harness and leash can and should stay on.
Doggie and me once helped to catch a cat who escaped during a bathroom break at MIA, that was fun Poor thing obviously craved some Mexican food as we trapped it at a Tequileria/Mexican eatery after chasing it all over the D concourse....
That's exactly my fear - chasing her through the airport! I ordered that harness - thank you so much for the recommendation. We learnt the hard way with our pug not to leave the bag ajar - he made a break for the galley, although the crew were very sweet about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.