Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diabetic cat flying...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Diabetic cat flying...

Since my father's passing in January, my mother who lives in NJ, has decided to move down to Arkansas where my brother and I now reside. We've been trying to figure out the best way to go about moving her geriatric diabetic cat Cooper. There are flights via united that go from Newark to Memphis direct, this would be fine. How can we keep Cooper with us in cabin? Should we purchase another ticket specifically for him?
help!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You can take the cat with you in the passenger cabin as long as it can fit in a travel carrier which will be placed underneath the seat in front of you. There is a $125 service charge.

More information can be found on United's in-cabin pets web page.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:06 pm

Flying with cat

I moved cross-country with my older cat. I just had to pay the pet fee and get a carrier approved by the airline. Fortunately, the flight wasn’t full so I was able to put her carrier under the empty seat next to me…otherwise she would have gone under the seat in front of me. Ask your vet for some gabapentin to calm her before she flies, and ask that you and the cat go through security in a private room to minimize the chances of her getting spooked and running. It will be fine!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Would anyone recommend buying another seat for him? This is something we have considered doing
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:56 pm

You can’t put the carrier on a seat so that only would be a reasonable option if you wanted to have more leg room for yourself (and I think you’d still have to pay the pet fee).. Unless it’s a service animal, pets have to stay in their carrier the entire flight.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Cheryl Lynne
Since my father's passing in January, my mother who lives in NJ, has decided to move down to Arkansas where my brother and I now reside. We've been trying to figure out the best way to go about moving her geriatric diabetic cat Cooper. There are flights via united that go from Newark to Memphis direct, this would be fine. How can we keep Cooper with us in cabin? Should we purchase another ticket specifically for him?
help!
Please consult a vet about how best to manage Cooper's health during travel. Usually before a flight it's a good idea to withhold food for a few hours and reduce water intake - for Cooper, doing that could be fatal. A non-stop Newark- Memphis flight is about 3 hours + time getting to and through the airport so maybe 6 hours; how long can Cooper go between meals normally, and would his insulin need to be adjusted? He will also need more water than normal - better to have a cat in a wet carrier than a dehydrated diabetic cat.
kendrickkeju1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.