Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

USA prohibits entry for dogs from ~100 countries on high rabies risk list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)

The US CDC has instituted a temporary (one-year) ban on importing dogs from more than 100 countries considered high risk for rabies, effective today:
https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...g-ban-frn.html

Exceptions apply for residents returning and bringing their animals with them, but this will mean the end of visitors from these countries being able to bring their dogs with them as well as for rescue dogs from these countries being able to get to new homes in the US.

I`ll need an import permit to transit the US with my (Swiss) dog if coming from one of the countries on the list. Have one such trip to South America and back booked for October, we'll see how that goes.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bhomburg
The US CDC has instituted a temporary (one-year) ban on importing dogs from more than 100 countries considered high risk for rabies, effective today:
https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...g-ban-frn.html

Exceptions apply for residents returning and bringing their animals with them, but this will mean the end of visitors from these countries being able to bring their dogs with them as well as for rescue dogs from these countries being able to get to new homes in the US.

I`ll need an import permit to transit the US with my (Swiss) dog if coming from one of the countries on the list. Have one such trip to South America and back booked for October, we'll see how that goes.
I work within the US military/diplomatic community and this ban has been a very hot topic of discussion the past several weeks. It is unfairly punishing American servicemembers and diplomats who took their pets with them overseas, keep shots/records/etc up to date, and were expecting to be able to bring them back with them (which has been the case for many years). Now these servicemembers are coming back home, and are all of a sudden facing the very real prospect of being forced to abandon their pets. Can you even imagine how horrible that is? Your own government screws you over like that? There is an exception process but these "exceptions" are quite narrow and very, very difficult to get for a whole host of reasons - I know several who are attempting to go through this now and it does not look good.

To make matters worse, many airlines are overzealously banning all pets into the US, period. Lufthansa has recently announced they won't fly ANY dogs or cats from ANY country to the US (despite the fact the ban only affects dogs). American has followed suit, banning all dogs and cats from high-risk countries to the US, and I have a sinking feeling that most other major airlines will do the same. I for one have written my congressperson and am being very vocal about this on social media. I encourage those of you who must travel with pets to do the same - there's no reason that the legions of responsible pet owners should be punished (and untold numbers of pets be condemned to be abandoned and likely die) for the actions of a very few bad apples.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yeah, this is extremely sad. CDC even says right on their website that those exceptions will be "very limited".
Not only that, AA has stopped accepting AVIH animals at all on all of their network with the exception of military relocations.now as well, and they were the last holdout among US carriers accepting checked pets (and at a reasonable price at that) for almost a decade.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yeah, this is extremely sad. CDC even says right on their website that those exceptions will be "very limited".
Not only that, AA has stopped accepting AVIH animals at all on all of their network with the exception of military relocations.now as well, and they were the last holdout among US carriers accepting checked pets (and at a reasonable price at that) for almost a decade.
AA isn't even allowing AVIH for military - I can personally confirm this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.