Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

USA to Europe travel with pet in cabin 2020 rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Did anyone travel recently with in-cabin pet from USA to Europe. We used to do SEA-ZAG through FRA or MUC and never had issues on LH. Due to Covid LH is not flying non-stop from SEA and we are looking what are our options on travel.
Seems like most of airlines droped pets-on-board.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
When do you want to travel? If in the near future, you'd need to trek to YVR (Vancouver). From there, you have cabin-pet-friendly one-stop, one-airline options with either Lufthansa via Frankfurt or Turkish Airlines via Istanbul.
Air Canada rouge offers a seasonal ZAG flight from SEA via Toronto, but that's currently not an option as well (it's been suspended due to Covid), Also, these planes feature very dense seating with a bare minimum of legroom. This is not going to be much fun with a pet carrier.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

We are planning on early September, if its going to be possible. At this moment USA citizens are not allowed to enter Canada, but that will hopefully change. Lufthansa and Istanbul air are both great.
LEg room is not an issue, we usually travel Bussines unless airline has restricton for pet-on-board
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:05 am

Air Canada rouge ( the leisure subsidiary of Air Canada) doesn't have business class. They do have a premium cabin they call 'premium rouge' but that's more akin to premium economy / comparable to domestic First class on the US carriers.
If you can't get to Vancouver and flights still aren't operating, well , it looks like you're out of luck and need to make this a two-airline trip. The only two-airline, one-stop option can see would be on Delta (economy only) via Amsterdam, continuing on KLM. Everything else would mean separate tickets and two stops, like using Alaska to any of the few airports LH continues to serve (they restarted LAX last month)
As Croatia is pretty much the only European country that does let US residents/citizens travel there for tourism this summer season, I don't understand why airlines don't offer flights.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
I have not, but I have a few colleagues who have. It is possible but not at all easy, and may require some creativity. Honestly, I would wait until travel conditions improve if at all possible.

That being said, Expert Flyer shows that LH is bringing back the SEA-FRA flight on Aug 2nd, but it'll only be operating Tues/Fri/Sun. I didn't see any LH flights FRA-ZAG but there are OU flights operating. I've never flown OU so I can't speak to their in-cabin policy, however they are Star Alliance so hopefully you could book as a codeshare on one ticket.

According to LH's website, in-cabin pets are still being allowed as usual, including Business Class. Most of the folks I know traveling were not flying up front, so you might want to check with LH to confirm.

Delta/KLM might be an option as well (looks like they are still operating SEA-AMS), although I don't know if they have changed pet policies. I don't think Delta allows in-cabin pets in Business though, so you might be stuck in back.

Also, I'm sure you're aware but note that as a US Citizen you can't leave the transit area in FRA. I have no idea where OU departs from in FRA but that could be an issue if you're unable to travel on one ticket. The people I know were categorized as essential personnel and still had a lot of hoops to jump through (including a mandatory quarantine upon arrival).
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Traveled many times on OU, and they allow pet on board without question.
OU leaves from internatinal terminal, and there is no need to exit into Germany.
Its good to know that we can still transfer in FRA to Zagreb.
At this moment there is no quarentine required in Croatia.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by chleonard
I have not, but I have a few colleagues who have. It is possible but not at all easy, and may require some creativity. Honestly, I would wait until travel conditions improve if at all possible.

That being said, Expert Flyer shows that LH is bringing back the SEA-FRA flight on Aug 2nd, but it'll only be operating Tues/Fri/Sun. I didn't see any LH flights FRA-ZAG but there are OU flights operating. I've never flown OU so I can't speak to their in-cabin policy, however they are Star Alliance so hopefully you could book as a codeshare on one ticket.

According to LH's website, in-cabin pets are still being allowed as usual, including Business Class. Most of the folks I know traveling were not flying up front, so you might want to check with LH to confirm.

Delta/KLM might be an option as well (looks like they are still operating SEA-AMS), although I don't know if they have changed pet policies. I don't think Delta allows in-cabin pets in Business though, so you might be stuck in back.

Also, I'm sure you're aware but note that as a US Citizen you can't leave the transit area in FRA. I have no idea where OU departs from in FRA but that could be an issue if you're unable to travel on one ticket. The people I know were categorized as essential personnel and still had a lot of hoops to jump through (including a mandatory quarantine upon arrival).
Hi @chleonard - I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you could check Expert Flyer for me. Would like to fly from ORD to SGN. I also have a ton of Amex MR or Chase UR to fly in Biz or First for 2 people plus a cat in cabin. I did a quick search on United for Sept. and didn't see Asiana but saw Turkish. Perhaps I can stay 2-3 nights in IST to break up the journey, maybe stay inside airport hotel so I don't have to take the cat through customs, I wonder if I can leave the cat in hotel while I explore the city, so many things to research. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2021, 1:11 am

Turkish currently is the only one-stop, one-airline option allowing pets in the cabin on this route. All others either don't allow pets in the cabin (Cathay, Qatar, Emirates), have temporarily suspended carriage of in-cabin pets (Vietnam Airlines) or (temporarily) suspended the route altogether (Korean, JAL, Asiana, all pet-friendly European airlines...). Due to Turkish's unique policy of not allowing cats and dogs concurrently on any given flight, book your trip and have the animal confirmed ASAP with as much notice as possible in case someone with a dog also tries to be on any one of your desired flights.
Service dogs are the only animals allowed at the Istanbul airport airside Yotel (and they are fussy enough about that...) so, no, breaking the journey there without Kitty having to enter Turkey is not really an option. I wouldn't even think about sneaking him/her in - as you are left with zero options if found out.Turkey implemented a two-week (in-home) quarantine requirement for all passengers with animals entering the country on May 1 last year, so unless you want your stopover last two weeks I`d suggest skipping it altogether.
gtran26 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi @chleonard - I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you could check Expert Flyer for me. Would like to fly from ORD to SGN. I also have a ton of Amex MR or Chase UR to fly in Biz or First for 2 people plus a cat in cabin. I did a quick search on United for Sept. and didn't see Asiana but saw Turkish. Perhaps I can stay 2-3 nights in IST to break up the journey, maybe stay inside airport hotel so I don't have to take the cat through customs, I wonder if I can leave the cat in hotel while I explore the city, so many things to research. Thanks!
Pretty much what @bhomburg said above - looking at a random date in September (you mentioned September, so I assume you're not flying till then?) the only option I see is Turkish. I have no idea if TK allows pets in business, I'd recommend checking with the airline. If you want to stop in IST, you'd have to meet the entry requirements for Turkey (including any required pet paperwork) and it might not even be possible if they are mandating a quarantine (of course, who knows what the requirements will be four months from now). I would be prepared to fly straight through.
gtran26 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by chleonard
Pretty much what @bhomburg said above - looking at a random date in September (you mentioned September, so I assume you're not flying till then?) the only option I see is Turkish. I have no idea if TK allows pets in business, I'd recommend checking with the airline. If you want to stop in IST, you'd have to meet the entry requirements for Turkey (including any required pet paperwork) and it might not even be possible if they are mandating a quarantine (of course, who knows what the requirements will be four months from now). I would be prepared to fly straight through.
Thanks! Not flying anytime soon due to all these restrictions. Surprisingly Turkey is pretty open to foreign tourists right now. Still need to research if the entry with pet mandatory quarantine is still in effect. Will update as I find more details.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:19 pm
Suspended

The world is changing day by day, so it's definitely worth keeping a constant eye on things. Obviously you also want to stay safe yourself too.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:14 pm

Hi chleonard

I don't have any Citi TYP to get Turkish Airline miles so what is the next best option would it be Aeroplan? I have Amex MR and Chase UR. Marriott can transfer 3 to 1 to Turkish but that doesn't seem like a great rate. I checked United and they charge more miles than Aeroplan. This would be for ORD to IST end of Aug. I can book IST to SGN for maybe Jan. 2022 and then change the dates as needed depending on when SGN reopens. Aeroplan has a 30 day limit for stopovers so sadly can't use that option to save miles. Once ticket is booked will need to call airline to confirm in-cabin cat ASAP. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi chleonard

I don't have any Citi TYP to get Turkish Airline miles so what is the next best option would it be Aeroplan? I have Amex MR and Chase UR. Marriott can transfer 3 to 1 to Turkish but that doesn't seem like a great rate. I checked United and they charge more miles than Aeroplan. This would be for ORD to IST end of Aug. I can book IST to SGN for maybe Jan. 2022 and then change the dates as needed depending on when SGN reopens. Aeroplan has a 30 day limit for stopovers so sadly can't use that option to save miles. Once ticket is booked will need to call airline to confirm in-cabin cat ASAP. Thanks!
I'm not familiar at all with any of those mileage/points programs, sorry. I would suggest checking on the Turkish Air forum or Award Travel forum for the best options.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
Originally Posted by snyeska
Did anyone travel recently with in-cabin pet from USA to Europe. We used to do SEA-ZAG through FRA or MUC and never had issues on LH. Due to Covid LH is not flying non-stop from SEA and we are looking what are our options on travel.
Seems like most of airlines droped pets-on-board.
Most European and American airlines no longer accept "emotional support" animals
European airlines feel psychiatric the same and only accept on </> US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.