Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Top Pet Friendly Hotels on Points, warm winter vacation

Old Aug 17, 14, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

Gracie the Shih Tzu has some favorite vacation Hotels, including:
Boca Resort , in Boca Raton, Florida with HH points.
Fairmont Sonoma, California with Chase credit card signup.
Cypress Inn in Carmel , California. Her favorite, sadly not available with points.

We are looking for some warm vacation spots this winter, using points. Caribbean , Mexico, Central America, Florida, Southern California, Arizona, or New Mexico. She can handle transcontinental flights, and a lot of warm weather is reachable , with a stop over in Miami.

Being an avid FT follower for 7 years, we have plenty of HH, Hyatt, SPG and Even Club Carlson points. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old Aug 17, 14, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spg - st regis, w, luxury collection - for example >
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...language=en_US
seems some of the luxury collection haciendas in mexico are pet friendly

hyatt - http://www.mendoza.park.hyatt.com/en...et-policy.html
seems PH buenos aires is also pet friendly (and "winter" down there is jun/jul)

hilton - waldorf
Old Aug 18, 14, 4:39 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Hilton: Waterfront Resort in Huntington Beach, CA. It's located on the beach near the Huntington Dog Beach, a 2-mile stretch of beach where dogs are free to roam off-leash (OK, so that's maybe not super-important for a Shih Tsu...) http://www.waterfrontresort.com/experience/pet-friendly. Perfect Southern California doggie vacation.
Old Aug 18, 14, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Good suggestions. Please keep them coming. Maybe the information will be useful to others too.

Any other suggestions? I know it's hard to reveal that Fun Hotel that's special to you and pooch.

Last edited by beachmiles; Aug 20, 14 at 8:44 pm
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

My other favorite...

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
Good suggestions. Please keep them coming. Maybe the information will be useful to others too.

Any other suggestions? I know it's hard to reveal that Fun Hotel that's special to you and pooch.
My other favorite is the Hilton Bentley , 101 Ocean Dr , Miami Beach. South of 5th and removed from much of South Beach. Prime 112 Steak House is right across the street.
Old Aug 21, 14, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
My other favorite is the Hilton Bentley , 101 Ocean Dr , Miami Beach. South of 5th and removed from much of South Beach
Are dogs allowed to run free on the beach there? I thought the only official leash-free dog beach in the MIA area was Haulover Beach in Bal Harbor, and that limits off-leash time to weekend mornings. The hotel to go to in that area would be the One Bal Harbour resort, but since you specifically asked for staying somewhere on points, it doesn't qualify since it's not affiliated to any of the programs. Also, their pet fee is $150, which outside of 'acceptable' in my opinion.
Old Aug 21, 14, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
Are dogs allowed to run free on the beach there? I thought the only official leash-free dog beach in the MIA area was Haulover Beach in Bal Harbor, and that limits off-leash time to weekend mornings. The hotel to go to in that area would be the One Bal Harbour resort, but since you specifically asked for staying somewhere on points, it doesn't qualify since it's not affiliated to any of the programs. Also, their pet fee is $150, which outside of 'acceptable' in my opinion.
Early in the morning and in the evening a lot of people walk dogs on the beach. Not much enforcement early in the day. Suggest heading south when you hit the beach, toward the federal cut.
Old Aug 22, 14, 6:03 am

OK, thanks! So it's pretty much the same as I saw on Key Biscayne's Hobie Beach, which allows leashed dogs. Pretty much everybody there disregarded the leash requirement early in the morning and late in the evening.
I like to stopover in MIA enroute to LAX when I travel with the dog in the winter ever since AA has inaugurated their MXP-MIA service. Minimal risk of weather-related flight disruptions. I usually stay at the Sofitel there, though. Reasonably priced and dog-friendly (no pet fees!).
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

BHomburg, You suggested the Waterfront Beach Resort , Hilton in Huntington Beach, California. It looks good online. Have you stayed there, and have you stayed at the Hyatt Regency nearby? It also looks nice, and I have Hyatt points too.
Old Aug 24, 14, 4:37 am

Yes, we have stayed there twice, once for a week in late 2012 when I had work to do in Irvine, and again for a few days last year. I selected it primarily because it was the closest pet-friendly hotel to the dog beach that got good reviews.
I doesn't just look good online but comes recommended. The property definitely is nice. The pet fee is reasonable at $50.
What I didn't like: no self parking, and they charge $32 per day for valet parking, plus tax and tips. There is $15/day public parking at the beach lot across PCH but that has a 9:00pm curfew after which the lot closes (you can't get out until after 5:00 am).

I never stayed at the Hyatt next door. That hotel has a $150 pet fee (a seven-day stay incurs $300 in pet fees, plus tax!). As a matter of principle, I do not give my business to properties with such excessive fees.
Old Aug 27, 14, 1:54 pm

I just wanted to mention the Kimpton hotels. I have travelled extensively with my dogs and stayed at the Monaco in Baltimore last winter. I was simply blown away with how pet welcoming the hotel was and I understand that all Kimptons are like that. First off we received a welcome bag for our girl when we checked in (including treats and directions to the dog park) and there was a dog bed & bowls waiting up in our room. We would bring our girl to the nightly complimentary wine reception (I used that as a training opportunity) and staff was always pleasant and friendly towards both myself and my dog. No extra pet fees, either. Mind you the dog in question is a Rottweiler. A reasonably well behaved & trained one but still. When travelling with my dog I now try to seek out Kimptons whenever possible.

So Gracie might want to check some out to see if they're to her liking .
Old Aug 27, 14, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Kimpton IC,Hilton Diamond,Costco Exec,Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
I just wanted to mention the Kimpton hotels. I have travelled extensively with my dogs and stayed at the Monaco in Baltimore last winter. I was simply blown away with how pet welcoming the hotel was and I understand that all Kimptons are like that. First off we received a welcome bag for our girl when we checked in (including treats and directions to the dog park) and there was a dog bed & bowls waiting up in our room. We would bring our girl to the nightly complimentary wine reception (I used that as a training opportunity) and staff was always pleasant and friendly towards both myself and my dog. No extra pet fees, either. Mind you the dog in question is a Rottweiler. A reasonably well behaved & trained one but still. When travelling with my dog I now try to seek out Kimptons whenever possible.

So Gracie might want to check some out to see if they're to her liking .
+100 for Kimpton Hotels being pet friendly. "Friendly" is putting it very mildly.
They have spots in FL, AZ, So Cal
Old Aug 28, 14, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We have a 110 lb Ridgeback and live in Orange County, but sometimes like to go up to see friends/have dinner in LA...and have occasionally stayed at the Peninsula Beverly Hills since they have no weight limit, but it's obviously a pricey stay.

I'm SPG Plat/Hyatt Diamond and live in SoCal, so we do like/try a few other options.

The Andaz West Hollywood has a 50 lb limit but allowed us to bring him for a trial stay a few yrs ago (they charged the pet fee twice, with the second fee refunded back to us after it turned out to be fine). So now that's our go-to when we go to LA.

We're trying to get the SLS Beverly Hills (SPG Luxury Collection) to allow us to bring him in October, but they have a 40 lb limit. We're planning to eat at the restaurant there, so staying there would be very convenient. I'm hoping my SPG Plat 75 status might allow us to try at the SLS, so I'm waiting to hear back from a manager.

We also stayed with him and had no issues with the W properties in Westwood and Hollywood (and San Diego), as advertised. The Ws just aren't as conveniently located for us when in LA.
Old Sep 10, 14, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas

Sorry I haven't been back in touch. These are all good ideas.

Using your suggestion I have booked 5 nights at the Hilton Waterfront Resort in Huntington Beach, CA. We'll add a couple of other 5 night stays in southern California or Mexico to make it a 2 week or more trip out west this winter. Might slip down to the ST Regis Punta Mita resort, near Puerto Vallarta.

Mendoza Park hyatt in Argenta looks wonderful, but I am not sure how relaxed I'd be for 8 hours plus plane trip to Argentina, with Gracie.

Kimpton , we would enjoy it. For sure some other time. But my goal this winter is to burn a bunch of hotel points, ( Hyatt, SPG , Hilton) to escape the less than perfect Mid Atlantic weather in January and February.

An occasional kitchen along the way would also come in handy. Not every stay, but sometime just to break up the eating out. Our routine the last few winters with Gracie has been to spend time at the Boca Raton resort Bungalow suites , and the Hilton Bentley South Beach. Both with nice full kitchens. However we need to break out of the rut this winter and add some new dog friendly hotels.

I have been reading a lot about the Hyatt Ziva and Zilara properties ,they would be great, but do not accept pets, only service animals. I wonder how they'd feel about a Shih Tzu service animal?

Any personal experiences in the Caribbean on points?

Last edited by beachmiles; Sep 11, 14 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 15, 14, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
International travel with pets can get complicated, although on my last flight to EZE, I saw a dog who seems to go straight through immigration and customs with its head sticking out of the carrier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: