Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Cat in Cabin from Heathrow-Paris-US on AirFrance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 6:53 am
Original Poster

I will be traveling with my cat back to the U.S. due to a family emergency. I will be permanently moving home (I am a US citizen) from the UK for family matters and have secured a ticket for my cat (5 months) to travel in cabin with me (paid and listed on my Air Francec ticket).My first flight is from London-Paris (AF 1381) and then Paris-Boston (AF 334).

She has received all of her standard vaccines at her London vet, however, due to the short notice I do not have an appointment to get her microchipped and rabies vaccination tomorrow morning (9 days before my planned departure from London). The US does not require her cat to have a rabies vaccine or microchip to enter, but as we will be transiting thru France (4.5 hour layover, not leaving terminal 2E) and leaving the UK (one way- no plan to re-enter), I cannot find a single answer to whether she will need the rabies vaccine and microchip in order for us to be allowed to board when checking in at Heathrow?
AirFrance referred me to customs, who referred me to the embassy, who referred me back to AirFrance.

Has anyone done a similar leg or checked in their cat on AirFrance at heathrow and have any idea exactly what paperwork they required?

Old May 20, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The EU requires pets to have both a microchip and a valid rabies vaccination for travel to and within the EU: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...t/index_en.htm
As you and your cat will be transiting the EU from and to third countries without entering, all those rules do not apply.

Air France will not check anything beyond either the EU pet passport or the export health certificate. Generally, vaccination records and/or microchips are not checked by airline staff at check-in - that is done by health officials at the agricultural inspection upon arriving at your destination (exceptions apply for animals sent as manifested cargo and /or to countries requiring extensive paperwork and import/export permits - not relevant in your case).
If you have an EU pet passport or an EHC, all Air France will do at check-in is look for the relevant sections that your vet signed and the official vet certified declaring the animal fit for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.