Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Top Pet Friendly Hotels on Points, warm winter vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Pet Friendly Hotels on Points, warm winter vacation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Current Dog Beach hotel options - more restrictions, large price increases..

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Hilton: Waterfront Resort in Huntington Beach, CA. It's located on the beach near the Huntington Dog Beach, a 2-mile stretch of beach where dogs are free to roam off-leash [...] The property definitely is nice. The pet fee is reasonable at $50. What I didn't like: no self parking, and they charge $32 per day for valet parking, plus tax and tips..
Years later, looking at booking this property again for a trip next year. Oh my, have they jacked up prices. The pet fee is now $99, which I find find unacceptably high. Same goes for the parking fee which is now $42 plus tax/tips (so essentially $50), and there now is a resort fee of $33. And they have introduced weight limits for pets - at least it's 75 lb, but still...
I`ll refrain from booking for the moment and will only stay there again if the current "pawsome getaway" special which has waived resort fees and 50% off that pet fee is extended beyond its current Dec.31, 2021 expiration date.

Looking at other properties there, the Pasea waives their otherwise excessive $150 pet fee if staying two and more nights (no weight limits), and they at least include a nice bottle of wine in their $35 resort fee. Also, while the are charging $45 plus tax and tips for parking (again, no self parking) free street parking on Pacific View Ave. is just around the corner. The Hyatt at least hasn't increased their pet fees any further - it's still at $150 every six nights -, but now sports a 50-pound weight limit.
So for anyone looking for a dog beach stay, the Kimpton looks to be the winner. It still has no pet fees or size limits, so that's a plus. The $35 resort fee seems unavoidable, the $35 valet parking (again, no other option on premises) isn't, as there's free street parking on 6th Street and Walnut Ave, as well as metered parking ($1,50 per hour) on 5th Str in direct vicinity to the hotel.

Call me old-fashioned but I do not appreciate this pricing model, especially at upscale properties who charge high room rates to begin with. What used to be a $200-ish /night stay a few years ago has practically doubled in price with all those pesky fees now.
For this trip, I´m seriously considering a vacation rental within walking distance to the dog beach for less....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.