Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Travelling overseas with a pet: experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Hi,
We will move to US from Germany in few months.
We have a small cat (3.5kg) and we are a bit afraid of bringing him to US via CARGO.

What are your experiences?Any hint/tip?
Is it possible to have him in Cabin (Business) ?

Regards
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Fly with an airline that allows pets in the cabin on your flight. Obvious choice from Germany would be LH who allow pets in the J cabin (max. combined weight of carrier and pet 8kgs, max. dimensions of carrier 55*40*23cm). Pet fee is a very reasonable 70 Euros. Attention: Take extra care in ensuring your flight is operated by LH and not by partners. TATL partner United has higher fees and lots of restrictions regarding pets in their international premium cabins!
Click here for rules and details.
Should you want to avoid LH because you're mileage-bound to another alliance, well, options are AF with Skyteam but there's none with oneworld in business.
Airberlin and Delta also transport pets in the cabin, but neither allows them in business class.
Airfrance allows pets in business class. Pet fee: 200 Euros, max. weight: 6kgs incl. carrier.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Alitalia allow cats in the main cabin, but obviously that would involve flying to Italy first unless they have a direct flight from Germany.

We recently took a cat LHR-FCO with Alitalia and just paid an additional e70 as mentioned above - had to be booked on the phone though.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster

thanks.
I am just a bit afreaid after reading this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ht-2111-a.html

Regards
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Your cat will never leave your site in the cabin.

Even at security they were happy for us to carry the cat through, and Alitalia crew kept coming up to us to stroke cat which was sat on my lap.

If you need any help with Alitalia give me a shout.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I traveled from Connecticut to Cyprus with cat (3 flights) and she was with me in the cabin the entire trip. I recommend a soft sided carrier - it's easier to fit under the seat in front of you. I lined my cat's carrier with puppy papers in case of any accidents but she was fine the entire trip. My Vet advised no food or water starting 4 hours before departing for the airport. The carrier had to be under the seat for takeoff and landing but during the flight I had the carrier on my lap or the empty seat next to me and I was able to unzip the carrier a bit to put my hand in and pet the cat to assure her that I was there and she was ok.

You will need to check with the airline before you buy your ticket to make sure that they will allow an in-cabin pet on the flight you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.