Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

AA new A321 config limits carry on pet space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat

This is not so much a question as informational. I flew in J class on the new A321 (10 F/20 J seats) yesterday. I had a pet reservation and my dog fits in a Sherpa soft carrier that has easily fit under seat on all prior flights. My dog's carrier did not fit in what floor storage exists in the new J seats. The carrier is approx 6 inches too long for the allotted space and I was advised by a flight attendant that there is no on floor storage in F at all.

After consultation with the GA who allowed me to board (and after I refused the suggestion to stow the dog in the overhead for takeoff and landing - yes really), the FA allowed me to leave the carrier on the floor since "the only aisle access it blocks is your own."

Doubt they would allow that a second time, and I checked out coach during the flight, and it looks like the only completely unobstructed floor storage is middle B and E seats.

So no more Fido flights for me on that configuration. Too bad, because overall the plane is an improvement over the 767-200s it is replacing and the J class lie flats are very comfortable.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
AA's site makes no mention of this issue.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ngWithPets.jsp
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
AA's site makes no mention of this issue.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ngWithPets.jsp
That is true, though that page has never had aircraft specific info to my knowledge.

I should perhaps have been clear that I was talking only about the AA A321t -the new transcon configuration with lie flat seats in J and F classes. This will likely not be an issue of the A321s without that feature. The A321t has only been in service since January 7, and no one at AA (reservations, checkin, or GA) seemed aware of the floor storage issue for carry ons until it became an issue for me.

Its just something to be aware of in the event that you are planning travel with a carry on pet.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:00 pm

The FC cabin does have 2 pet stowage compartments for take off and landing. And you can place pet carriers under the seat in J, just not at the bulkhead.

Last edited by skylady; Jan 25, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.