Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent criers: Elite fliers are ruining air travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
It does sound more like he is whining about not being in F more often. Why should people get more when they pay more? Is that what he is really asking?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by uavking
While I'm at it, here's another of Mr. Elliot's articles, this time calling out elite pre-board:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24525193/
Well, when people like me pay $300 and someone else pays $2000, I think I deserve to be treated like dirt but arrive safely at my destination while the latter deserves to be treated like royalty. This is a capitalist society, not a classless, communist society.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
I hope he reads this and has the balls to respond publically on FT to his allegations about Us.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Thumbs down

yeah... seems this joker has a general ax to grind -- http://www.elliott.org/

Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:10 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by PTravel
I was thinking the same thing. FT is, without question, the best site for rational, informed discussion of travel issues. There was absolutely no call for his nasty little snipe.
Not to mention, most FTers are more flexible, accommodating and well
informed when it comes to delays and cancellations.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uavking
While I'm at it, here's another of Mr. Elliot's articles, this time calling out elite pre-board:

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why these quadruple-titanium status frequent flyers need to be on the plane first, to begin with? Do they really have to sit there in their oversize leather seats and sip Mimosas while the rest of us shuffle slowly to the back of the plane?
And the answer to this is... YES!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Like it will make a big difference (), I went ahead and wrote him an e-mail:

In your article, you make no bones about your contempt for 'Elite' frequent fliers of which I am one (United Airlines 1K). In it, you mentioned the selfish actions of a few ignorant passengers. I would like to point out, these individuals are the exception, not the rule.
Most frequent fliers know the drill when it comes to flying. We know when we must arrive at the airport, , know how to fly through security ('Elite' line or not), know when we can cue to board, and know what to expect and how to behave in-flight. But your article paints us with a much broader and uglier brush. Consider a few facts:
- Most frequent fliers are business travelers When we are flying, we are on our way to or from work. Being in an aircraft is necessary so that we can get to where we need to be to perform our jobs.
- Like most elites, my travel comprises roughly 60 to 80% of my work week. Being that I fly roughly 125,000 miles a year, my airline of choice bestows a status upon me for that loyalty, which includes some perks These perks, while dwindling year over year, do make a difference to us, and makes our work weeks a lot easier to bear. More than anything else, they save me a lot of time each week. For example, priority boarding: This assures me overhead bin space for my roll-aboard so don't need to check my bag. When I am bouncing between 4 cities in a week, all with air travel in between, not having to wait an extra 45 minutes for my bag (that may never arrive!), saves me hours each week. Trust me, many of us 'elites' would rather be on the ground than in the air, but that is how our jobs work out.
- Listening to your article, you make it seem that we are all selfish, 'entitled' jerks who snap our fingers at people. I have run into these types, but again, they are the exception, not the rule.
If you stand back and look at things in a broader sense, there are many companies who bestow perks and special treatment on it's most loyal customers. They desire their customers loyalty, and when they get it, they reward them. I would hope you or others would not begrudge me a little 'extra special' treatment just because I fly more than you.
Finally, in answer to your question 'Are elite fliers ruining air travel?', I would have to answer no to that. I would say confidently that airline management and corporate greed are to blame, as most of the perks you mention that are now missing have been cut to satisfy Wall Street. If you want to blame someone, point the finger at them...but not at me. I'm just trying to relax and get a little shut eye on my way to work.
I hope your future travels go smoother. Fly safe.

ExCrew
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This guy must have been right on his e-mail, cuz he answered in less than 10 mins!

Hi ExCrew, thanks for taking the time to write. I thought I went to
great lengths to say that it's only a handful of elites and elite
wannabes that are ruining air travel -- and only because airlines are
encouraging that behavior. I can tell by the measured, rational tone
of your email that you're not one of those people. I appreciate the
feedback.

Best,

Christopher Elliott
Blogger/syndicated columnist/TV host
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:06 pm

In Ellott's case, SSSS means:

Sour Swill, Suck Slowly
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ExCrew
This guy must have been right on his e-mail, cuz he answered in less than 10 mins!

feedback.

Best,

Christopher Elliott
Maybe Pam Costlet should hire Elliott to answer her fan mail
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Any writer who writes in one point that F passengers get unlimited booze and in another point that 12 F passengers share 1 lavatory while 180 others share two in the back, and can't realize that those F passengers will probably use that FC lavatory more due to all the free booze, is an idiot.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
How dare the airlines offer more service to people who pay more! And how dare customers who buy first class tickets expect more service! The nerve!!

Chris needs to realize that anyone can get preferential services if they just pay a little more. You don't even have to be elite or in F class. WN offers Business Select fares, CO offers "elite access" service to full-fare Y customers, UA lets you pay for E+, etc. etc. And some of the discount airlines offer reasonable F fares.

Or does he think airlines should be forced to offer equal treatment to everyone, regardless of fare paid?

What a whiner.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by ExCrew

feedback.

Best,

Christopher Elliott
Translated into English, his response really reads:

"Blah, blah, blah, patronize, patronize, i'm a self-important smoosh, let me kiss your rump even though I don't really give a ship what you say, I'm always right and I go to great lengths to believe that, blah, blah, blah, ombudsman.

Best,

C.E."

Last edited by LurkerNoMore; Jun 18, 2008 at 7:15 am
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:51 am

Geez, what a shock, someone in the media writing a hatchet piece. Pathetic and embarrassing. Where is his article on petulant news anchors ruining television? If anything elites should be given even better treatment. If I were running United every 1K would be given the name of a manager they could contact 24x7 at the first hint of a problem. Ridiculous, probably, but if every manager had a side duty of being responsible for say 20 1K's, maybe it would be doable

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Jun 17, 2008 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
One less annoying e-mail in my InBox once I Unsubscribe. But it won't allow me to.

This is the message I get when I use the URL to unsubscribe:

Not Found, Error 404

Spammer!!!!

Once I finally do unsubscribe from Idiot's (Elliott’s) E-Mail his drivel will still trickle through on Tripso E-Mail though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.