Frequent criers: Elite fliers are ruining air travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent criers: Elite fliers are ruining air travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
A rather strange article, with strange logic. Instead of questioning why people who paid $2000 more to sit up front get a steak while the rest of the aircraft "starves," he should question why anyone's willing to pay that much more for that "benefit" (it really ain't gourmet food most of the time, contrary to what he wants his readers to believe).
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I found this one paragraph to be absolutely hilarious,

McSherry isn’t necessarily a poster boy for the “rules-are-for-the-little-people” attitude that can infect groups of elite-level frequent fliers. If you want to witness a more common but no less disturbing variety firshand, just visit one of the discussion forums for frequent fliers, like FlyerTalk. Or read one of the columnists often quoted on these forums, who, in a perversion of reality, seem convinced that elite-level frequent fliers are actually victims.

Last edited by FightingIlliniUAL; Jun 17, 2008 at 8:37 am Reason: Eliminate reference to post being moved
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
A Marxist point of view from MSNBC, no I can't believe it

You know in the "perfect" world we'd all make the same amount of money and be equal. So clearly the problem with air travel today isn't higher costs to the airlines while fares remain low, no its the fact that some people choose to pay more for better service, wow what a novel concept.

I love how incidents involving people moving up from Y->F is used to show why we shouldn't have a F cabin
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
This article isn't specific to United and will probably get moved,
to TravelBuzz!

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
He painted Flyertalkers as a whiny bunch of DYKWIA's. Nice.

Last edited by Ripper3785; Jun 16, 2008 at 3:29 pm
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:22 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
"...No, what irks me are two important issues. First, it’s the way airlines today are adding amenities to their premium cabins while quietly removing basic services from their economy-class sections. Food is a good example, but such additions and deletions are taking place across the board, and it shows up in every aspect of air travel, from reservations to boarding..."

Well, Chris Elliot, maybe it's because you (and other forces in the market) have trained economy passengers to show no other concern than to buy based on price of the ticket. Do you think that every airline is conspiring with the others to take away frills in economy just for laughs? Because they just have a fundamental dislike of the people who fly in economy?

What a whining fool. How about writing a column that goes beyond these things that everyone knows, and coming up with real stories or solutions for us?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Thumbs down Christopher Elliott - poor journalist

This is a shockingly poor article, which uses rare incidents to make the point that first class/elite travelers are spoiled children. The generalizations are well off point. The primary focus that benefits for first class travelers come at the cost of coach travelers is just laughable. He would have earned more respect if he had put forward the case that coach travel needs improvement and that there are some people where cost is not the only criteria.

As a note to the moderator since this is not United specific I suggest moving it to the newsstand forum.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
He painted Flyertalk'ers as a whiny bunch of DYKWIA's. Nice.
Yeah, really.

As I was reading the piece (as it turns out, I read it before I found this thread here), all I could think was that he's REALLY REALLY miffed that we've repeatedly called him out here for being the pandering generalizer that he is, and he figures since his best perceived allies are the Kettles to whom he panders, he'd write a piece that attempts to mobilize "them" against "us".

Idiot.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
He's an idiot. More great journalism from our fine friends at msnbc/fox/cnn. This is why i never watch or go to these sites. They are awful. How about some facts or figures rather than andecdotal information?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drat19
Yeah, really.

As I was reading the piece (as it turns out, I read it before I found this thread here), all I could think was that he's REALLY REALLY miffed that we've repeatedly called him out here for being the pandering generalizer that he is, and he figures since his best perceived allies are the Kettles to whom he panders, he'd write a piece that attempts to mobilize "them" against "us".

Idiot.
I was thinking the same thing. FT is, without question, the best site for rational, informed discussion of travel issues. There was absolutely no call for his nasty little snipe.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The few columns I've read by Elliott are populist rubbish, especially when he starts talking about elite passengers and first vs coach. In one column about avoiding airline fees, he even writes:

"If you don’t have a frequent flier card, there’s another card you can play: the victim card. I described it in a previous column, and if used correctly, it can be a persuasive tool. Pointing out the unfairness of having to pay to check your child’s stroller or seat can make a compassionate ticket agent look the other way. (And yes, there are compassionate employees — even at one of the major airlines.)"

Elliott might be smarter than he looks. Perhaps he likes to write such columns to gain readership with the "common average folk" who shake their fists at the coddling of elites and to enrage/get responses from those who don't like to see themselves as such.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
The examples he used were ludicrous! Naomi Campbell?

Maybe he should spend some time in a basic jr. college marketing class.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
other thread referencing the same article is here-merge?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jakuda
The few columns I've read by Elliott are populist rubbish, especially when he starts talking about elite passengers and first vs coach. In one column about avoiding airline fees, he even writes:

"If you don’t have a frequent flier card, there’s another card you can play: the victim card. I described it in a previous column, and if used correctly, it can be a persuasive tool. Pointing out the unfairness of having to pay to check your child’s stroller or seat can make a compassionate ticket agent look the other way. (And yes, there are compassionate employees — even at one of the major airlines.)"

Elliott might be smarter than he looks. Perhaps he likes to write such columns to gain readership with the "common average folk" who shake their fists at the coddling of elites and to enrage/get responses from those who don't like to see themselves as such.
After reading the article, this guy sounds like a real winner. Instead of whining about things, he might as well go on a few MRs like the rest of us...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
While I'm at it, here's another of Mr. Elliot's articles, this time calling out elite pre-board:

Can anyone tell me why these quadruple-titanium status frequent flyers need to be on the plane first, to begin with? Do they really have to sit there in their oversize leather seats and sip Mimosas while the rest of us shuffle slowly to the back of the plane?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24525193/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.