Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines told to accommodate obese, disabled

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Originally Posted by Traveltalker
The majority of obese people have the power to change it themelves. We are talking about some excess weight that you can take off if you take the time and work at it. If they improve their diet, they will lose weight.

An obese person is already a safety issue for the rest of the passengers on a plane. In the event of an emergency, you now have to deal with some extremely overweight person slowing everyone else down if they have to exit the plane quickly.

I don't think it is a disability because they choose to be obese.
I was on an RJ flight last week sitting in the exit row, and on the opposite side there were two HUGE men who could barely fit in their seats by themselves, let alone next to each other. Even though the flight wasn't full, it seemed they were determined to get that extra leg room (though it wasn't "leg" room they needed).

I was seriously hoping the FA would make one of them move. There was no way anyone was getting out that exit in an emergency.

On the topic of the article: I think all planes should have a few 1st class seats. Then, if they want more room, they can pay for the upgrade. That is fair.

Two seats for the price of one would be unfair to 1) other pax, especially talk folks 2) the airline who can't sell that second seat 3) the people with actual disabilities 4) the people paying for a 50.1 lb bag
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
>>> overweight person slowing everyone else down
1. A scare-dy-cat "freezes" in the doorway lookng at the steep escape chute down to the water. We would have the same right giving the obese person a shove down the chute to hurry him along as we would the scare-dy-cat.
2. The obese person is not supposed to have to wait for everyone else to exit first.

>>> more room they can pay
But according to the court ruling the airline may not deplane them (or talk (sic) folks) for failing to buy a second seat or refusing to pay for the upgrade. And the airplane may not depart while anyone is still standing.

>>> can't sell that second seat.
It's the cost of doing business.

>>> robbing the slim to pay the portly
There's plenty of chocolate cake and Hostess Twinkies and potato chips for the slim folks to gorge on and then be on the receiving end of things.

Last edited by AllanJ; Nov 25, 2008 at 6:35 pm
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:41 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Fredd
Fark features it with the tag "Midgets are following the case closely and hoping for half-price travel."
A consistent policy would give midgets a half-size seat for full-price.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by fatfrog
I don't know how it works -- is it automatic at the 100 lb cut off?
I'm picturing a human-sized luggage-sizer: Shove all passengers into the frame, and whoever doesn't fit gets an extra seat.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Eco is evil

For me the general issue is not that UBPs need an extra seat.

In my view the whole eco setup is totaly unhealthy, focussed on revenue and margin only and absolutely not on the wellbeing and health of pax.

Regulators should define minimum seat width and seat to seat distance, having in mind that people got bigger and bigger the last 40 years and force airlines to implement childprotecting seats and the possibility for each pax to either bring up to 4l of drinks per longhaul on board or have the airline guarantee that amount to be available for each pax on board.

And please do something about the toilets. Just a little bit more spacious. Not much, just a bit. And have sanitizer and desinfect there, because on the latest somewhere over Greenland your average plane-potty turns into a hellhole.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: United
An Outrage

This is an outrage. Clearly, people who are overweight are at fault for their condition. The litigant, Ms. McKay-Panos (if that is her real name) "said she was born with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, a hormonal disorder that causes obesity in about 50 per cent of those afflicted." That means there is a 50% chance it is her fault!

This kind of thing would never happen in America, where the financial health of the airline industry takes precedence over the mere comfort and safety of obese passengers and the people sitting next to them. An airline ticket should only entitle you to one seat, as people should be treated by airlines no different than cargo.

Furthermore, how many so called "disabled" people were crippled due to accidents that they themselves were at least in part to blame for? Why should these freeloaders receive any special treatment? In the era of Roe vs. Wade, we also need to take a more strict look at people who's parents chose to give birth to, despite their genetic conditions, like obesity.

So booo to the Communist Canadians for unfairly interfering with the free market. Never in America would our government become so blatantly involved in the operation of it's corporations, especially when the health, safety, and comfort of it's citizens are involved.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:34 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Denverflyer24
This is an outrage. Clearly, people who are overweight are at fault for their condition. The litigant, Ms. McKay-Panos (if that is her real name) "said she was born with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, a hormonal disorder that causes obesity in about 50 per cent of those afflicted." That means there is a 50% chance it is her fault!
Umm... no. That's not how probability works.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:06 pm

I'm pretty sure there was so much sarcasm in Denver's post that you have to wear hip boots to read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.