Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines told to accommodate obese, disabled

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cs19
You know what else can't be reversed??? Being 6'8" tall.
Agreed. I'm 6'7", and will start claiming I'm disabled and need a first class seat for the price of Y.

Obesity can be reversed. If it can't, buy two seats, or a F/J ticket. Just like I do so I'm comfortable.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:15 am

Programs: QR Silver
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
buy two seats
One and a half seats will do quite nicely for most obese people.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:26 am
iff

Originally Posted by gumbleby
One and a half seats will do quite nicely for most obese people.
So maybe someone should start a service where obese people can connect with other obese people who are booking the same flights and split the cost of an extra seat...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by iff
So maybe someone should start a service where obese people can connect with other obese people who are booking the same flights and split the cost of an extra seat...

That's a great idea. Every row that shows up as red on SeatGuru turns into the fat row. Seriously, it wouldn't be that hard for them to designate a certain number of seats available for "disabled passengers". For everyone's benefit my guess is these would be at the front of coach to reduce boarding times. There would be a cutoff for a guarantee to get those seats. They could basically sell 1 1/2 seats in this section on planes with 3 rows. The airlines are going to realize that as the population gets fatter, they will be better off having a formal way to deal with it rather than have it disrupt things when it happens.

As for people getting a note from a doctor to say their disabled. Please don't. Then I'll have to deal with more people asking. I have people ask for a handicap sticker because they're "legally blind", yet their glasses correct them to 20/20. They will still find someone to fill it out for them.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Million Miler
Encroachment

If a hefty or big boned person, that should be purchasing 2 seats or sit in the fat lane, spills over halfway into my seat do I get a fair reduction? I am only able to use 1/2 of what i paid for, so my fare should be commensurate with what i have used. If fatties get 2 for the price of 1, I should get 1 for half price if I have love handles and general girth sloughing over the armrest.
sound fair?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by tulsan
I guess it will be like the Army of the past, you smoked so you could take a break - now you overeat to get more room

What next?
good analogy!

smokem if you gottem
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ylwae
Interestingly, the Canadian Transportation Agency dismissed a claim by the same person in 2002. Wonder what changed their mind this time? And what is this vague "genetic condition" her lawyer mentions?

"In terms of activity limitations, Ms. McKay-Panos contends that the activity at issue is the requirement to be seated as a passenger in a seat. She refers to her experience detailed above, particularly to the difficulty she experienced in forcing herself into the passenger seat, the pain she suffered, the difficulty she experienced to access the chair table and the fact that she was bumped into by flight attendants as evidence that she has limitations in performing the activity. As for participation restrictions, Ms. McKay-Panos explains that she suffered a limitation in accessing public transportation in Canada. This limitation is found in the difficulties she experienced when making her travel arrangements."

"The Agency found that Ms. McKay-Panos had not identified activity limitations relating to accessing the transportation system, since she can physically access airports, check her luggage, present herself to security points in airports and reach the boarding gate, like the majority of Canadians."

Excerpted from this site.

I think the airlines should politely decline her offer to help them establish guidelines for deciding who gets an extra seat, etc.
I actually knew her when she was working at the University of Calgary's Human Rights Centre. She's actually obese and disabled; I recall that she had other medical problems that were unrelated to her obesity. I haven't read her Statement of Claim, so I have no idea what medical grounds she alleged as part of her claim.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by muddy
good analogy!

smokem if you gottem
That's the military of today, too. I was never a regular smoker, but I'd buy a carton of smokes before heading out to the field. If you keep one in your mouth during the summer in Florida, the gnats stay away.

Anyway, obesity tends to lead to other disabilities. A lot of very obese folks are wheelchair bound, have bad ankles/knees, have diabetes, etc.

I still don't think that every must be accommodated, regardless of condition.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by vesicle
Honestly I would be for you getting an extra seat or some space before a self inflicted fat person getting one.

I am 6' and I have a bad enough time...I can't imagine being your size.

As a compulsive eater myself (but manage to control it - 6ft and 180lbs) I have some sympathy for people who basically have what I'd consider a "mental disability" and through depression or even genetics just can't stop stuffing themselves with food. In this case, maybe PROOF is the only practical way, and seat space should be given accordingly. It's not like you can visually see this disability, like when someone has a leg missing.

However, things like "tall" people demanding the good seats... I'm on the fence on that one. I find most economy seats too small even for tiny me (but I've got claustrophobia built-in for good measure), so I fly less often, and pay for premium seats. I was flying bulkhead the other day on a flight packed with US military just out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and this HUGE (tall and broad) fella was moved to the empty seat next to me, and was so overwhelmingly grateful.

So perhaps the argument is more to do with gratitude vs. demand? Had there been an expectation to get a seat through some no-fault physical attribute... I sort of think that's bordering on unfair.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
If a person cant fit in the seat in coach they have no right buying that ticket, let them buy a ticket that fits their ... (they would not buy a pair of 32" waist pants if they are a 48" waist).
I had the misfortune of sitting next to a BIGUN on a transat in coach and the armrest had to be upright to accommodate her, she took nearly half my seat
MOTTO if you cant buy you dont fly
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:06 am

What a joke. I guess airlines should just not be allowed to make money.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:17 pm
Suspended

What a bunch of inconsiderate morons.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Obese in Canada have the right to two seats

For the price of one!

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0081120?rpc=44

look out US. It's coming!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by doctall41
look out US. It's coming!
Because the US always blindly follows Canadian precedents?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Thats so stupid. They should have to pay for 2, and pay for the extra weight. There is no way my 160 lb body and my 55 lb bag should incur an aditional charge when there is someone 350 beside me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.