Wiki Posts
Search

An Idea for Airlines: The Social Flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An Idea for Airlines: The Social Flight

What if a plane flight were networked and became a social experience with its own economy?

Source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/5849...t?source=yahoo
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
I think the ship has already sunk on this idea. The author should have been around 25 -30 years ago when flying WAS a social experience and people met future business associates, wives, husbands etc. on flights, or at least talked to each other and maybe exchanged a few business cards. There was room to move around in the cabins, even in y class, but not anymore

Unfortunately, today the average flyer just wants to cocoon with their ipod or dvd player or laptop, and if anyone starts a conversation, they are considered a nuisance, at the least.

Look at the way the new J class is set up with sleeper pods that don't allow any conversation between fellow passengers. And in Y class, you can barely move, so moving around the cabin is almost impossible.

Flying has become very boring, but it seems that is what the passengers want and the days of having a party or socializing on an airplane are long gone.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Hell is other people.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:26 pm

Reminds me of a classic Dilbert cartoon:

Co-worker: How would you like to go to lunch?

Dilbert: Alone.

^
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Once airplanes passengers are connected with the ground, that enables them to get connected with each other. It would be easy for the airlines or, failing that, the passengers themselves to set up social networks around flights and destinations.
Sounds a lot like a FlyerTalk Do to me.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by SamCat
I think the ship has already sunk on this idea.
No, the ship has sailed. The networked travel format is the cruise line. It's infinitely better suited - more space, time, and weight. If you are going for networked travel why not go on something that can support the primary purpose 100x better?

People who want to interact, mingle, see the sights take boats and trains. People who want to get there take planes.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamCat
Flying has become very boring, but it seems that is what the passengers want and the days of having a party or socializing on an airplane are long gone.
It's all cost. The passengers want a cheaper ticket, so with that comes cutbacks in the form of enjoyment. I'm not really one of them, but conversing and meeting others is a form of enjoyment to the social-circle types.

It's still odd though, when you think about it. I sit further from friends when I'm visiting than I do to the pax next to me, yet I rarely get involved in conversations aside from the initial commentary re: idiot pax and their oversized luggage or flight attendants older than the AAdvantage program, or something of that nature (thanks to exit row elites next to me).
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Two thumbs up, Bobster. I missed that Dilbert, but it's me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.