Tycoon sees man in underpants, buys Boeing 787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tycoon sees man in underpants, buys Boeing 787

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Talking Tycoon sees man in underpants, buys Boeing 787

From the Earthtimes.org web site:

Posted : Thu, 24 May 2007 06:34:01GMT
Asia World News | Home

Hong Kong- A Hong Kong tycoon who has ordered a 153-million-US-dollar Boeing was driven to VIP private travel by the sight of a First Class passenger in his underpants, a news report said Thursday. Joseph Lau, 55, head of Hong Kong-based Chinese Estate Holdings, is buying a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which has 223 square metres of cabin space and was designed to carry up to 300 people.
He told the South China Morning Post he was horrified when a fellow passenger stripped to his underwear. "The passenger changed into his pyjamas in front of the others," he said.

"I felt embarrassed, and I am a man, let alone how the women would have felt." After the experience, Lau had ordered six private jets for himself, including the Dreamliner.

Article is here.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:23 am
Suspended

So which FTer has been helping Boeing to sell planes ...
Old May 27, 2007, 7:45 am

This would've been funnier if the PAX had decided to change clothes in a crowded Y cabin.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Luxuries for some subsidized by others

And when this happens in the USA, the cost to the tycoon is a business expense, just a little less profit to pay taxes on.
Old May 27, 2007, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The subsidies question seems a bit OMNI, but I think the analysis above is backwards, denying the ljuxury and paying more tax would be subsidizing others. There's a difference between not paying incremental taxes and receiving a subsidy.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nigelloring
This would've been funnier if the PAX had decided to change clothes in a crowded Y cabin.
...or changed a baby on the tray table...

But it's more extreme than indicated above. It's not just one plane we're talking about...
He told the South China Morning Post he was horrified when a fellow passenger stripped to his underwear. "The passenger changed into his pyjamas in front of the others," he said.

"I felt embarrassed, and I am a man, let alone how the women would have felt." After the experience, Lau had ordered six private jets for himself, including the Dreamliner.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:21 pm

I bet that guy who changed into his PJs was not a full revenue passenger but used miles for his upgrade.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by xyzzy
...or changed a baby on the tray table...
Not quite on the tray table, but I've seen it done in the bassinet ... until the FA came to this couple and told them this was totally unhygenic, and would they please move this changing to the toilet ....

Some people ...

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

PS = Fortunately, I was far enough from this couple not to have the smell ...
Old May 30, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC,SWA,*W PLAT
Originally Posted by thebug622
I bet that guy who changed into his PJs was not a full revenue passenger but used miles for his upgrade.
I Resemble that comment....
Old May 30, 2007, 9:19 pm

Where are you supposed to change?

This does raise the question: Where are you supposed to change? I have left the pajamas in the bag since I didn't like the ackwardness of changing in the tiny toilet stall.

Last edited by jtalstad; Jun 7, 2007 at 1:21 pm Reason: raise the question
Old May 30, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
So which FTer has been helping Boeing to sell planes ...
Guilty as charged.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
yeah... if that happened to me i would definitely want to buy a 787 instead. i'll just wait for boeing to call me with the prices...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
A 787? This guy is nuts. Obviously, he should have ordered a 380, so he could turn the entire upper deck into a comfortable changing area.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier
I read this in Bangkok

It said in the Bangkok Post that this guy was one of the 5 richest men in the world. But it only mentioned that he would be buying one airplane. I mean, ONE OF THE RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, and he has been flying First class (didn't say which airline).
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by happytravelling
It said in the Bangkok Post that this guy was one of the 5 richest men in the world. But it only mentioned that he would be buying one airplane. I mean, ONE OF THE RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, and he has been flying First class (didn't say which airline).
Perhaps one of our edumacated brethren can chime in here, but don't most private aircraft have to stop several times to refuel on those routes the 787 can do on one tank of jet fuel? ... especially if this guy is flying HKG to LON/NYC (definitely routes you need your pyjamas for).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.