FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Joe Sharkey on Legacy Plane that hit Brazilian Airliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/607596-joe-sharkey-legacy-plane-hit-brazilian-airliner.html)

Pufnstuf Oct 2, 2006 11:45 pm

This is such a fascinating account, thank you for posting it.

Xyzzy Oct 3, 2006 7:42 am

There's also a video of Joe Sharkey discussing this on the NY Times site.

PremEx2000 Oct 3, 2006 9:00 am

What an unbelievable story. I just read it at the Times' website and came here to see if there are posts about it. It's a little disappointing to hear comments about how "dreadful" a guy is who just survived a near-death experience. I greatly enjoy Sharkey's column. Maybe I'm biased because he quoted me twice in 2003 and 2004 (I have the columns framed about my desk at work), but I think his column is very good.

It is truly an amazing story to hear about surviving an airplane crash or mid-air collision. I heard about that same story often as a kid because my dad was the sole survivor of a private plane crash that killed five people.

I guess I'd be a little disappointed if people were heaping criticism on my dad just days after he survived something like this.

richmond3121 Oct 3, 2006 9:24 am

I found this article to be particularly moving and interesting. I ended up emailing it to about 20 people I know, which is something I very rarely do. It's already the #1 most emailed article on NYTimes.com.

hfly Oct 3, 2006 9:44 am

I can't believe how idiotcsome of those Brasilian blogger commenters sounded on hs blog.

justageek Oct 3, 2006 11:33 am

I thought the article he wrote on this accident was really fantastic.

Does anyone know if the planes were under Air Traffic Control at the time of the accident?

Also, are the pilots still being held by the Brasilian authorities? I hope they are released soon...

Xyzzy Oct 3, 2006 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Also, are the pilots still being held by the Brasilian authorities? I hope they are released soon...

I don't think they'll be back in the US any time soon:

RIO DE JANEIRO, Oct. 3 — A Brazilian judge has ordered police to confiscate the passports of the two American pilots who were at the controls of the business jet that apparently collided with a commercial airliner last Friday. ...
The judge in Peixoto de Azevedo, the city in the central state of Mato Grosso nearest to the forested area where the airliner crashed, took the step at the request of the local prosecutor, said Célio Wilson de Oliveira, the state secretary for justice and public security, in a telephone interview. Under Brazilian law, prosecutors are responsible for investigating accidental deaths as well as crimes. While the pilots have not been charged with any wrongdoing, Mr. Wilson said, the order was issued as a “preventive measure.”

Adriano Alves, the prosecutor who filed the request, said in a telephone interview that taking the pilots’ passports was “necessary to make sure two very important witnesses remain in Brazil until this investigation is carried out.”

redbeard911 Oct 3, 2006 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
The NYTimes article he wrote is certainly interesting. Gosh, what are the odds that the NYTimes biz travel columnist would be in a small jet over the Amazon that struck a 737? A billion to one? I'm glad he's OK. And, fwiw, imho Sharkey is a much-better-than-average travel writer.

There were probably 3 FTers on the plane as well. :p

anonplz Oct 3, 2006 2:58 pm

I've always enjoyed his columns, and thought this was well-written and sad.

when I heard about this column from someone else, my first thought was also, "what are the chances...?"

themicah Oct 3, 2006 3:49 pm

I saw an AP story today that apparently the Embraer and the 737 were flying opposite directions between the same two waypoints. The 737 was supposed to be at 37,000ft, but the Embraer apparently was supposed to be at 36,000ft. So it's possible that those pilots who saved Mr. Sharkey's life with their superb responses to the accident may have been at fault.

Probably too soon to pass judgment, however, since it's unclear why the proximity warning systems on the planes didn't work. Both new planes, too.

Extraordinary story, but very sad for the passengers and crew of the 737.

dhuey Oct 3, 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
...Probably too soon to pass judgment, however, since it's unclear why the proximity warning systems on the planes didn't work. Both new planes, too....

That does seem very strange. I can easily see a human error of being off by a thousand feet, but having two independent crash avoidance systems fail to do their job (if that's what happened) would be so unlikely.

I hope the investigators can quickly find any flaws in the systems.

Cyllabus Oct 3, 2006 6:10 pm

What a story!

Originally Posted by ChicagoBound
What an unbelievable story. I just read it at the Times' website and came here to see if there are posts about it. It's a little disappointing to hear comments about how "dreadful" a guy is who just survived a near-death experience. I greatly enjoy Sharkey's column. Maybe I'm biased because he quoted me twice in 2003 and 2004 (I have the columns framed about my desk at work), but I think his column is very good.

It is truly an amazing story to hear about surviving an airplane crash or mid-air collision. I heard about that same story often as a kid because my dad was the sole survivor of a private plane crash that killed five people.

I guess I'd be a little disappointed if people were heaping criticism on my dad just days after he survived something like this.

--------

Jeez--give the guy a break. He's a good journo, takes his job seriously and lots of people love his column. (I actually look forward to Tuesdays.)

Now this most incredible amazing story. Tragedy above the Amazon. He survived and make a good report.

Keep on keepin' on, Joe.
--Cyllabus

richmond3121 Oct 3, 2006 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911
There were probably 3 FTers on the plane as well. :p

I wonder if any were on the 738? :-(

SDF_Traveler Oct 4, 2006 12:02 am

Originally Posted by themicah
I saw an AP story today that apparently the Embraer and the 737 were flying opposite directions between the same two waypoints. The 737 was supposed to be at 37,000ft, but the Embraer apparently was supposed to be at 36,000ft. So it's possible that those pilots who saved Mr. Sharkey's life with their superb responses to the accident may have been at fault.

Probably too soon to pass judgment, however, since it's unclear why the proximity warning systems on the planes didn't work. Both new planes, too.

Extraordinary story, but very sad for the passengers and crew of the 737.

I heard a report that the Embrarer was cruising at 37,000 ft while the Boeing was at 35,000, requested FL 390 and was in the process of proceeding to FL 390.

I don't think we'll know the facts until more information is released and the media gets it correct.

Sad to see the outrageous comments on Joe Sharkey's blog. Lots of hatred towards the USA, Joe Sharkey is accused of yellow journalism based on what he wrote in his personal blog, the pilots have been accused as killers, etc. With all this hate, I too am concerned about the pilots fate.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those on the 737, as well as with the survivors on the Embrarer. Regardless of who was at fault, its something the survivors will never forget.

SDF_Traveler

FlyingToFly Oct 4, 2006 1:59 am

SDF_Traveler, our thoughts are in agreement.

I do wonder though, if perhaps it was the controllers on the ground who made a mistake?