Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, UA Premier, National Executive, Hilton Gold
NWA drops free in-flight meals

Article from Startribune.com

NWA to drop free in-flight meals
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This really isn't news; meals in coach have already disappeared from most NW flights. They don't even bring enough meals-for-sale on board to give you an even chance of buying one.

If I don't have an FC upgrade at meal time, I plan on buying airport food.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:48 pm

I've seen people bring snacks and whatnot on-board before. What if people start bringing in full fast-food meals? I guess I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's been done before, but do the airlines really care? Do they have a right to dictate whether you can one way or the other?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:54 pm

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I've seen people bring snacks and whatnot on-board before. What if people start bringing in full fast-food meals? I guess I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's been done before, but do the airlines really care? Do they have a right to dictate whether you can one way or the other?
I've heard GA encourage this of late.(i.e. make announcement that no food, no bistro, no bob on board so if you want food go to nearby restaurant and buy it to go.)

Speculating to what this will eventually lead to, i think it will be time to add no toaster ovens/crock pots to the list of onboard electrical appliances that you can/cannot bring on board.....
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:58 pm

I can see it now...

"Passengers seated in the exit rows are invited to hold a fondu party in the additional area provided. Of course, the utensils may not be sharp and the food must be purchased before boarding the aircraft."

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
The only bad thing is now that the TSA is banning matches and lighters, we can't have a cookout on board
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by divrdrew
The only bad thing is now that the TSA is banning matches and lighters, we can't have a cookout on board

Just use the old "rub two sticks together" method.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:52 pm
kxs

Programs: NW SE
People have been bringing stuff on for while in my experience. Nothing worse than sitting next/front/behind a sandwich with lots of raw onions, or a bag of stale McD's
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
Just use the old "rub two sticks together" method.
Will Spinzels work?
d.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: NW Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
Will Spinzels work?
d.
I think that would create a toxic cloud of fake butter powder and qualify as a terrorist act.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by rehabusrab
I've heard GA encourage this of late.(i.e. make announcement that no food, no bistro, no bob on board so if you want food go to nearby restaurant and buy it to go.)

Speculating to what this will eventually lead to, i think it will be time to add no toaster ovens/crock pots to the list of onboard electrical appliances that you can/cannot bring on board.....
Not too many years ago an airliner waiting to take off in Egypt was incinerated on the tarmac when the fuel from a passenger's cooking stove spilled.

Maybe Sterno will be OK.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:47 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hyatt Gold, HH Silver
A friend of mine from school/work that I travel frequently with between BOS-MSP is always bringing fresh McD's french fries on board right before the door closes. She gets a lot of envious looks when she opens up her mottled brown McD's bag and releases the smell of hot french fries. For some sadistic reason I think she get a bit of joy out of her fellow passengers' hunger pangs.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by divrdrew
How in the world is this enforceable?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:58 am

I am thinking.....................of a flask of lamb curry mixed with basmati rice of course.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:08 pm

Seems like this might be a profit opportunity for some enterprising passengers. Stop at McDs before the flight, buy a few dozen double cheeseburgers for $1 each and then sell them on the flight for $5 each.

On a 8 hour flight from MSP to HNL I think you might be able to sell a BUNCH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.