France unhappy with Lockerbie deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France unhappy with Lockerbie deal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly, again with this US v. France argument?

I think some people need to relax a little bit here. There's enough give and take on both sides to call things even.

Do we really need to debate whether the US owes it's existence to France for supporting it in the Revolution, or whether France owe's it's existence to the US for help in the WW's every single time there's a topic involving France in the news?

I think it's a great idea for people to learn about and discuss history. Maybe if we did more of that we'd stop repeating the same mistakes over and over, like we're doing now.

On the other hand, this US v. France "debate" isn't getting anyone anywhere.

d
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:34 am

This sounds like blood money to me.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 6:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PineyBob:
TVG,

Yes we go back 60 years because we sent the flower of our youth to the fields of France. Take a look at the very well maintained "Gardens of Stone" that litter your countryside. Talk to the old men that were young boys then and kissed the fresh faced youth from the farms of the Great Plains, the cities of the east & west, the cotton fields of the deep south. All came to preserve and defend liberty. Some of them never left.

I makes me sad that it has come to this, General Lafayette must be rolling in his grave. You don't have to agree with us every time, but just every now and then don't block us just because you can. Try to realize that if you're not good negotiators you don't get as good a deal. Don't penalize families because you want to prove you aren't 3rd world banana republic. When you behave as you do, you just confirm our worst fears

[This message has been edited by PineyBob (edited 08-20-2003).]
</font>
Whew! That't the purplest prose I've read in years.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 6:54 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Airliner Bomb Deal Delays Sanctions Vote

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2003/09/1063195754.html
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:50 am

This will come back to haunt the French - mark my words!!

In the mean time lets boycott FRENCH products
Old Sep 10, 2003, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
We are already "haunted" by the memory of the 170 victims of the UTA flight.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 09-10-2003).]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arcolaio99:
Maybe if France had a government that actually did something worthhile these passengers families might be getting more than enough money to buy an ice cream cone!!</font>
Good morning, troll.

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/011543.html

Edited to add that it is ashame that politics, as usual, is going to yet again delay the victims getting the closure they deserve.

I might also add that these events are just as painful for the French families that lost loved ones in the UTA crash as it is for American families that lost loved ones in the Pan Am crash. Seems that we lose sight of that.

[This message has been edited by dctorres (edited 09-11-2003).]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Libya and the families of the 170 victims of the 1989 UTA airliner bombing signed a compensation deal on Thursday, clearing the way for a U.N. vote to lift sanctions, a spokesman for the families said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ce_accord_dc_1
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dctorres:
I might also add that these events are just as painful for the French families that lost loved ones in the UTA crash as it is for American families that lost loved ones in the Pan Am crash. Seems that we lose sight of that.</font>
I don't think anyone has lost sight of that at all...OTOH, the French government basically said it was going to hold the settlement for Pan Am 103 families hostage because, let's face it, they did a crappy job on negotiating a settlement with the Libyans the first time. To the extent that they were willing to do that, I, and others, decried their actions.

On a related note, don't think for a minute that Quaddafi has suddenly decided to be a nicer guy--he's afraid, for the same reason Saddam should have been afraid. Whatever anyone's opinion of President Bush may be, he *does* do a good job of smiting America's enemies, and in this I applaud him.

Regards,

O/H

Old Sep 12, 2003, 3:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Occupationalhazard:
I don't think anyone has lost sight of that at all...OTOH, the French government basically said it was going to hold the settlement for Pan Am 103 families hostage because, let's face it, they did a crappy job on negotiating a settlement with the Libyans the first time. To the extent that they were willing to do that, I, and others, decried their actions.
</font>
This is true, O/H, but let's me honest: The French government didn't have the clout to make that happen. The US could, and has, basically said "give us what we want and we'll make your sanctions go away." France wouldn't be able to do that.

This may have been France's best chance to get Libya to the bargaining table and have any leverage.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 4:33 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I think, this final outcome proved (for once) the French 'approach' right.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 6:45 am
doc
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:

I think, this final outcome proved (for once) the French 'approach' right.</font>
---

France ends threat to veto Libya deal

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...solution_x.htm

---

Money no windfall for families of Lockerbie victims

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...ies-usat_x.htm

---

U.N. Security Council Lifts Sanctions on Libya

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=3434929

---

And now...

Confusion as Libya cites conditions for UTA pay-out

Libya's offer of compensation for families of the 170 people killed in the 1989 bombing of a French UTA airliner was thrown into doubt on Friday after a key Libyan negotiator unveiled conditions for the pay-out...

http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl...asp?reg=EUROPE

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 09-12-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:57 am
doc
Original Poster

Libya says on track to reach a French pay-out deal

Libya and families of 170 people killed in a 1989 bombing of a French airliner were finalising details of a compensation deal and would reach an accord before next month's deadline, a senior Libyan official said on Wednesday.

http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl...sp?reg=MIDEAST
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:57 am
doc
Original Poster

Lockerbie bomber seeks case review

Lawyers for the Libyan agent jailed for the Lockerbie bombing have applied for a review of his sentence and conviction.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...atestheadlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.