Search

Beware if arriving or leaving the U.K. over holidays

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2000, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Beware if arriving or leaving the U.K. over holidays

The ground transport services have no idea what demand could be.

I love this:

"One US passenger told BBC News: "We started thinking, 'Is this Europe still or is this Africa?'"" "It was a complete shambles," said a passenger who arrived on a flight from Rome. "It was like arriving at a Third World airport. People were just milling about not knowing how they were going to get out."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk:80/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=346 748&in_review_text_id=291197
http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=.../nchaos28.html

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 12-27-2000).]
Old Dec 27, 2000, 7:55 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Amazing how very little changes in Britain.

Sad story!! Totally avoidable
Old Dec 27, 2000, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
I agree that this is an avoidable problem - at least for the passengers.

The problems with out rail lines are now internationally famous and if you are planning on using them I suggest that you use railtrack's web site. www.railtrack.com
to check times - BEFORE YOU CHOOSE YOUR AIRPORT.

Now as to whose fault it is - the airport? Well perhaps when they knew that the trains were ending early perhaps they should have had more coaches available. But can you imagine a single airport taking responsibility - imagine SFO laying on coaches to LAX when the United Shuttle is acting up.

The train carrier's fault? Well there are a lot of repairs which need doing - and they say that they've advertised the early termination of service. (Personally I've not seen any posters). There are bodies in the UK to whom you can complain, but I suspect no one will get much joy.

The passengers? Well I always know how I'm getting home - train times etc - if I fly to Stansted as their train services are famously bad at weekends.

Perhaps everyone is responsible!
Old Dec 27, 2000, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I'm sorry, but the train company is at fault. The train service exists to serve the Airport and its passengers, not the other way around.

When the train operator accepts the franchise to serve the Airport train station, I think they have a responsibility to provide service whenever the Airport has planes carrying passengers arriving or departing. This business of expecting people's gratitude for running trains for 12 hours on Boxing Day is a lot of bull. Even if they have to charge more on holidays to pay for the staff overtime, there should simply be train service whenever the planes are flying. It's not as if the passengers have an alternative.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 1:40 am

Lets be clear here about Boxing Day in the UK - it is a Bank Holiday and for several years (yes I remember where it wasnt so) trains in the UK DO NOT OPERATE on Boxing Day.

Some service was provided and they state that they advertised the early termination.

These train companies are private businesses with responsibility first to their share holders. QED.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 1:49 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I know the trains, and a lot of other things, don't operate in the U.K. on Boxing Day. I merely gave my opinion that they ought to. Public transport is an essential service, and people employed in essential services normally understand that they have to work on a lot of holidays (usually for additional compensation).

I still stand by my opinion expressed above.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 7:30 am
DOC 2 BE

Does the "Tube" from LHR to Central London operate normally on Boxing Day or Christmas Day?

Old Dec 30, 2000, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Boxing Day is a tradition which continues throughout the old Empire/Commonwealth so should only come as a total surprise to those arriving from the United States. Most Europeans would also be familiar with the quaint English custom.

However, passengers (through their airlines) should have been advised of cutbacks in ground transport services. Yet at the same time, it is unthinkable that given the heavy travel which takes place between the pre-Christmas and New Years period, there would be such a total scaledown in ground connections to major international hubs like LHR or LGA. Did this occur during the old British Rail days, or is this another example of how badly privatization has made things?

I know BR had problems before the neocons had their way -- they starved it to the point of having to be broken up and privatized -- but as a North American, I always found rail services very acceptable in Britain. I realize those who lived with the service on a daily basis may have had their complaints, but I seldom recall reading the types of stories that have eminated from the UK over this past decade of private train services.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 12:58 pm

Boxing Day is a tradition which continues throughout the old Empire/Commonwealth.
That's true but how are trains and banks related? Someone can have his/her money stolen on a train thus forcing the poor victim to go to the bank but that's where the connection ends, IMO.

As far as having no trains on Boxing Day then Australia has no such nonsense while being part of the Old Empire. All public transport runs normally by the public holiday timetable.

I still remember the silly old days when stores and gas/petrol stations used to be closed for public holidays but luckily Aussies have caught up with the evolution and are enjoying it. Pity that Britain (seemingly) is still lagging behind.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To start:

One thing to note about the U.K. is that the consumer's convenience is often secondary to the businesses and their shareholders. That's why the "Big Three" of British retailing, Marks & Spencer, Boots and Sainsbury are having a fight for their lives against N. American and European competitors.

Doc 2 Be

I didn't know about Boxing Day but I can vouch that public transport (bus and underground) in London is closed on X'mas Day. Getting in from LHR, you'd be at the mercy of taxis and private (livery) cars.

FWIW, I flew YVR-JFK last X'mas day. Arriving in the early evening, I had researched and found things like the subway, Metro-North and Connecticut Limousine were all working, and not even with skeletal service.

Canada has Boxing Day too but public transportation didn't shut down in my part of the world (Vancouver).

Spider

I was told that until the mid-90s, it was pretty difficult to buy petrol in Perth on a Sunday. Only one station would be open in town and it was on a rotational basis so you had to know where to find it!

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 12-30-2000).]
Old Dec 30, 2000, 4:47 pm

The problems occurred at Stansted airport and primarily affected easyjet passengers. Passengers arriving on BA's low cost subsidiary airline GO were advised at the time of booking that there would be limited transport facilities. GO had laid on caoches in advance to ensure passengers could get to central London. I gues it goes to show the problems of an expanding airport. Follow the news for easyjet cancelling over 25 flights from Liverpool and Luton due to a lack of de-icing fluid! I have flown with easyjet and found the service to be Ok relative to the fare paid. Guess i would think twice now.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 6:32 pm
DOC 2 BE

Dear Woodie,

I thought the main hub for EasyJet was Luton, not Stanstead. If I'm not mistaken, Stanstead is the main hub for Ryan Air, which I have flown. Was it their passengers that were the ones most affected?

Old Dec 30, 2000, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally posted by Shareholder:
but as a North American, I always found rail services very acceptable in Britain. I realize those who lived with the service on a daily basis may have had their complaints, but I seldom recall reading the types of stories that have eminated from the UK over this past decade of private train services.
Here's a link to help you get started. It's a daily gripe with cancelled and/or shortened trains (to do with faulty trains and/or laying off too many drivers) among a myriad of problems. Absolute nightmare for some rail lines. Already, at least one operator will have its franchise revoked at the end of the term.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=...1/nrail31.html
Old Dec 31, 2000, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Police Called To Calm UK Passengers Angered By Flight Delays
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2000/12/978171336.html
Old Jan 1, 2001, 2:51 am

I am afraid that with EasyJet you get exactly what you pay for.

This time however, the timid British finally stood up for themselves. Perhaps the worm has turned on bad service in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.