Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

NY Times - Electronic Warfare Confounds Civilian Pilots, Far From Any Battlefield

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Times - Electronic Warfare Confounds Civilian Pilots, Far From Any Battlefield

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb NY Times - Electronic Warfare Confounds Civilian Pilots, Far From Any Battlefield

Electronic Warfare Confounds Civilian Pilots, Far From Any Battlefield

Planes were built to trust GPS signals. Jamming and spoofing in the Middle East and Ukraine have diverted flights and caused inaccurate onboard alerts.

Electronic warfare in the Middle East and Ukraine is affecting air travel far from the battlefields, unnerving pilots and exposing an unintended consequence of a tactic that experts say will become more common.

The radio interference has so far not proven to be dangerous. But aircraft systems have proved largely unable to detect GPS spoofing and correct for it, according to Opsgroup, an organization that monitors changes and risks in the aviation industry. One Embraer jet bound for Dubai nearly veered into Iranian airspace in September before the pilots figured out the plane was chasing a false signal.

...“What’s changed over the last couple of years is that spoofing has moved from theory in research articles and in laboratories to actual events in the wild,”...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 21, 2023 at 9:19 am Reason: Corrected non-standard orthography for the sake of future searching
Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Pilots need to go back to older-school navigation. Start using inertia navigation systems again, or go back to as far as the early jet age when 707s and DC-8s would/could carry a navigator (I guess before INS was a thing). Do remember the GPS system was intended to be shut down for non-military use in the event of a war.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.