Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Mail: Flight Attendants -- When You should use the call button

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Daily Mail: Flight Attendants -- When You should use the call button

This was in th Daily Mail today; an article informing the flying public about the "proper etiquette " for use of the call button.

The "air dollies" have some unique ideas to say the least........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ll-button.html
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:15 am

Not a FA, but I believe they should be used whenever one needs the attention of an FA.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by thelark
Not a FA, but I believe they should be used whenever one needs the attention of an FA.
I use it for drink refills. I’m always polite with please and thank you’s but flight attendants seem annoyed nonetheless when I distract them from completing their chatting or social media reviews on their phones.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:57 am
Suspended

It depends, in peasant/coach class, I would refrain from using the call buttons unless it is absolutely necessary (certainly not for drink refill, you are welcome to bring your own bottle of water onboard if you know you are a thirsty person). In premier cabins, I would use call buttons even if I just want one more ice cube.

Last edited by Mama; Apr 17, 2023 at 9:05 am
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
I'm approaching my 2,000th flight, I don't remember ever using it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The FA union president is being very silly if they think the call button shouldn't be used to get a drink.

If I'm in the aisle seat, I'll get up and walk to the galley to get a drink. If I'm sitting in the window/middle, I will choose to use the call button to get a drink especially since I'm not carrying a cup while trying to get back into the seat.
krazykanuck and moondog like this.

Last edited by Plato90s; Apr 17, 2023 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If the FA (F / J) is too lazy to perform a periodic cabin check, and my empty glass is sitting there for an hour and I'm thirsty, ♫ clang clang clang goes the call bell ♫
kokonutz, bce1 and lamphs like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sara Nelson (AFA prez) would probably prefer her FA's not have to interact with passengers at all. This is probably a pipe dream, but I wish that FA unions would come to terms with despite them blindly repeating that they are there "mostly for your safety" they serve a customer service role. You serve food, drinks, and quell minor arguments between customers. In the microscopic chance there is an actual emergency, given how save air travel is, I highly doubt the difference between my survival or demise is going to be due to them.

As for the call button, I like the window seat approach above. I'm an aisle seat guy and generally like stretching my legs once in a while, so I don't mind asking for a drink or whatever I may need when up using the bathroom. To add, I find most FAs are generally friendly folks who want to deliver good customer service, and then you have a minority that are lazy and treat pax more like a nuisance they have to tolerate.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I was a kid my parents never let me press the call button. I still only press it if it's not convenient to get up and ask for something. I've probably pressed it a total of 5 times in the last 20 years. The FAs always seem slightly annoyed when they come in response.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
When I was a kid my parents never let me press the call button. I still only press it if it's not convenient to get up and ask for something. I've probably pressed it a total of 5 times in the last 20 years. The FAs always seem slightly annoyed when they come in response.
Some int'l carriers (in premium cabins) don't seem to outwardly mind, or expressly state to use the call bell if I want something. I've even had a domestic US airline state the same when the FA says "I'm going to help them out in back - if you need something ..."

Meanwhile, given the apparent declining morale on my preferred airline, including getting an occasional snippy response when asking for something, or asking to remove dirty serviceware that has been sitting for an hour-plus, I'm getting "less shy" with the bell. I'd say I use it not more than a couple of times a year, but in a premium cabin service, sans emergency, it should never be necessary, but I'm finding that getting decent service is not as frequent as in the days of auld lang syne.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I’m not supposed to press the button bearing an icon of a person bringing a drink when I want a drink?
kokonutz, mnhusker and farci like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I feel the need the button will get pressed no matter where in the aircraft I might be located. Don't think I've ever felt the need but would not hesitate when it's time.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If I feel the need the button will get pressed no matter where in the aircraft I might be located. Don't think I've ever felt the need but would not hesitate when it's time.
Who will be pressing the button? "... the button will get pressed..."
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mama
It depends, in peasant/coach class, I would refrain from using the call buttons unless it is absolutely necessary (certainly not for drink refill, you are welcome to bring your own bottle of water onboard if you know you are a thirsty person). In premier cabins, I would use call buttons even if I just want one more ice cube.
That seems counterintuitive to me because economy class typically has a higher percentage of non-aisle seats. In the US, the TSA makes bringing your own bottled water on board a little bit of an obstacle (I know empty bottles are cool, but I'm not a fan of filling them in restrooms).
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I wouldn't press the call button for a drink. The only time I've pressed it was to deal with a seat poacher who was unwilling to move.
hiker67 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.