Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska and Qatar Airlines wins in FlyerTalk awards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Alaska and Qatar Airlines wins FlyerTalk awards

Alaska Airlines and Qatar Airways each unseated established heavyweights to win two of the most-coveted categories in the sixth annual FlyerTalk Awards. It is really cool.

Last edited by garry0; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by garry0
laska Airlines and Qatar Airways each unseated established heavyweights to win two of the most-coveted categories in the sixth annual FlyerTalk Awards. It is really cool.
You're, uh, quoting, this article from 5 months ago?

"Alaska Airlines and Qatar Airways each unseated established heavyweights to win two of the most-coveted categories in the sixth annual FlyerTalk Awards, announced Friday."

- USA Today
April 14, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ams/100420030/

And why?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
garry0-

Welcome to FlyerTalk It helps to be descriptive in your topic title, so you might want to focus on that in future posts.

Although Alaska and Qatar did win FlyerTalk awards, the number of members voting for that honor was not disclosed, so it could be anywhere from a few hundred, like we've had in past Talk Board elections, to tens of thousands.

The Freddies, by comparison, which had 4.2 million votes, did not award Alaska or Qatar anything in the airline categories.
http://freddieawards.com/winners-circle/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
So true, but

QR definitely is my new favorite. Great seats in business, great attentive service, and the food is about as good as you'll find on an airplane.

And, welcome to FT.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:59 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
garry0-

Welcome to FlyerTalk It helps to be descriptive in your topic title, so you might want to focus on that in future posts.

Although Alaska and Qatar did win FlyerTalk awards, the number of members voting for that honor was not disclosed, so it could be anywhere from a few hundred, like we've had in past Talk Board elections, to tens of thousands.

The Freddies, by comparison, which had 4.2 million votes, did not award Alaska or Qatar anything in the airline categories.
http://freddieawards.com/winners-circle/
The Freddies solicit votes from anyone who has a FF account with any program. People who have stayed at a hotel one time are sent a reminder to vote in the Freddies. People who have an account and have NEVER stayed in a hotel get a Freddies ballot!

By contrast, FlyerTalkers tend to be far more frequent travelers. We don't advertise our tallies because quality is what the FTA's are about, rather than the number of raw votes. I'd love to know how many vote solicitation emails the Freddies sends out, through all those programs? But I'm sure each Awards has its place

Paul
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by IBobi
We don't advertise our tallies because quality is what the FTA's are about, rather than the number of raw votes.
If you're getting just a few hundred votes, out of over 500,000 FT members, I'd make the case the awards are worthless. Numbers do matter. By not even sharing what percentage of the members even participate in the vote, you're giving the impression that the total membership of this site is awarding these "wins" when it may just be a handful of members deciding the winners. It's misleading. I've seen the "winners" advertise their award receipt in promotional material - so they're certainly capitalizing on it - but without knowing how many "votes" they received.

Last edited by tom911; Sep 12, 2017 at 12:07 pm Reason: added a line
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Both awards are just self-licking ice cream cones, the types of activities that marketing types love but which serve no real purpose to the vast majority of people.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:14 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
If you're getting just a few hundred votes, out of over 500,000 FT members, I'd make the case the awards are worthless. Numbers do matter. By not even sharing what percentage of the members even participate in the vote, you're giving the impression that the total membership of this site is awarding these "wins" when it may just be a handful of members deciding the winners. It's misleading. I've seen the "winners" advertise their award receipt in promotional material - so they're certainly capitalizing on it - but without knowing how many "votes" they received.
We are heading into our 7th FTAs, and in the very first year we already had over 10K voters, with no promotion or history at all.

:-::-::-::-::-:
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:29 pm

I just flew qr iad/doh/cpt in business. The service on the first segment was great but the food was almost not edible, Mrs. jmj9905 and I both ordered the lamb loin and it was so well done we could only eat a little bit of it. On the doh/cpt leg I ordered a filet sandwich. It was full of grisle and not edible. When I mentioned it to the FA she said "I will let catering know". No offer of An alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.