Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight

It's Emirates' new Dubai-Panama City service. Clocking in at 8,588 miles (13,821 km), it beats Qantas's Dallas-Sydney flight by 11 miles.

More information on wired.com here.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The quoted duration I saw was 17 hrs 35 mins -- you might need 2 Ambiens. Would not like to do this in coach, not even Emirates coach.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the Panama City area to warrant such a long flight to the ME?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:35 pm

Get me ANY flight in 1st or Business Class on a SQ B747-MEGATOP and I'll be a happy "Frequent-Flyer-Mile-High-Member" 8)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the Panama City area to warrant such a long flight to the ME?
I think Panama City is becoming a significant hub for Latin America, particularly because of Copa Airlines.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
That does seem like a very odd destination.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
That does seem like a very odd destination.
Emirates has 26 new aircraft planning to enter service this year. They have to fly them somewhere. PTY is an odd choice since Emirates isn't part of Star Alliance, and I don't believe it has code share with COPA. I can't imagine a lot of O&D traffic, and the last thing I'd want to do after a 17 hour flight is to connect on to another one. Don't be surprise if you see DXB-SLC or DXB-LAS (via Macau) coming soon.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
What's interesting about the new longest flight, is how much shorter than SQ's former longest flight it really is

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
Don't be surprise if you see DXB-SLC
That would be great!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:46 am

Isn't this flight only a few hundred miles longer than London to PER?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Owenc
Isn't this flight only a few hundred miles longer than London to PER?
It is in fact 10 miles further than SYD <> DFW which is the current longest route (served by QANTAS)

Sounds a odd route to me give the costs of the fuel (you end up having to carry a lot of fuel just because of the weight of the fuel). But as they are not goverent subsidized I am sure there must be untapped demand.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Worcester
It is in fact 10 miles further than SYD <> DFW which is the current longest route (served by QANTAS)

Sounds a odd route to me give the costs of the fuel (you end up having to carry a lot of fuel just because of the weight of the fuel). But as they are not goverent subsidized I am sure there must be untapped demand.
I'm sure.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
Emirates has 26 new aircraft planning to enter service this year. They have to fly them somewhere. PTY is an odd choice since Emirates isn't part of Star Alliance, and I don't believe it has code share with COPA.
10 aircraft retiring as well. The link with COPA is coming and PTY avoids the nonsense of going through North America en route to many destinations.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
They expect to carry a good deal of cargo, much of it high-value items. I suspect that any passengers who wander into the upper half of the aircraft are extra profit margin.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
The point is to offer connections in Latin America and northern South America, whilst avoiding subjecting your passengers to US immigration. COPA is running a tight ship and has a nice little network, onto which EK passengers can connect. This, then, offers the most convenient 2-stop service to all of the ME, Subcontinent and Africa from the Americas and vice-versa.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:05 am

I know people who've flown to holiday destinations in Central America via Panama City.

It could develop into a hub for EU and Asian tourism into Costa Rica, the Caribbean, Mexico etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.