FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1702451-wired-new-longest-scheduled-commercial-flight.html)

Efrem Aug 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight

It's Emirates' new Dubai-Panama City service. Clocking in at 8,588 miles (13,821 km), it beats Qantas's Dallas-Sydney flight by 11 miles.

More information on wired.com here.

KevinDTW Aug 13, 2015 1:37 pm

The quoted duration I saw was 17 hrs 35 mins -- you might need 2 Ambiens. Would not like to do this in coach, not even Emirates coach.

kennycrudup Aug 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the Panama City area to warrant such a long flight to the ME?

B7EIGHT7 Aug 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Get me ANY flight in 1st or Business Class on a SQ B747-MEGATOP and I'll be a happy "Frequent-Flyer-Mile-High-Member" 8)

suranyi Aug 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 25266846)
Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the Panama City area to warrant such a long flight to the ME?

I think Panama City is becoming a significant hub for Latin America, particularly because of Copa Airlines.

CPRich Aug 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 25266846)

That does seem like a very odd destination.

zigzagg900 Aug 14, 2015 6:07 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 25267563)
That does seem like a very odd destination.

Emirates has 26 new aircraft planning to enter service this year. They have to fly them somewhere. PTY is an odd choice since Emirates isn't part of Star Alliance, and I don't believe it has code share with COPA. I can't imagine a lot of O&D traffic, and the last thing I'd want to do after a 17 hour flight is to connect on to another one. Don't be surprise if you see DXB-SLC or DXB-LAS (via Macau) coming soon.

Madone59 Aug 14, 2015 9:57 am

What's interesting about the new longest flight, is how much shorter than SQ's former longest flight it really is :p

Originally Posted by zigzagg900 (Post 25269714)
Don't be surprise if you see DXB-SLC

That would be great!

Owenc Aug 14, 2015 10:46 am

Isn't this flight only a few hundred miles longer than London to PER?

Worcester Aug 15, 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Owenc (Post 25271003)
Isn't this flight only a few hundred miles longer than London to PER?

It is in fact 10 miles further than SYD <> DFW which is the current longest route (served by QANTAS)

Sounds a odd route to me give the costs of the fuel (you end up having to carry a lot of fuel just because of the weight of the fuel). But as they are not goverent subsidized I am sure there must be untapped demand.

Doc Savage Aug 15, 2015 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 25273814)
It is in fact 10 miles further than SYD <> DFW which is the current longest route (served by QANTAS)

Sounds a odd route to me give the costs of the fuel (you end up having to carry a lot of fuel just because of the weight of the fuel). But as they are not goverent subsidized I am sure there must be untapped demand.

I'm sure.;)

ft101 Aug 15, 2015 7:25 am

Originally Posted by zigzagg900 (Post 25269714)
Emirates has 26 new aircraft planning to enter service this year. They have to fly them somewhere. PTY is an odd choice since Emirates isn't part of Star Alliance, and I don't believe it has code share with COPA.

10 aircraft retiring as well. The link with COPA is coming and PTY avoids the nonsense of going through North America en route to many destinations.

Efrem Aug 15, 2015 12:27 pm

They expect to carry a good deal of cargo, much of it high-value items. I suspect that any passengers who wander into the upper half of the aircraft are extra profit margin.

Sheikh Yerbooty Aug 16, 2015 3:02 am

The point is to offer connections in Latin America and northern South America, whilst avoiding subjecting your passengers to US immigration. COPA is running a tight ship and has a nice little network, onto which EK passengers can connect. This, then, offers the most convenient 2-stop service to all of the ME, Subcontinent and Africa from the Americas and vice-versa.

Ber2dca Aug 16, 2015 3:05 am

I know people who've flown to holiday destinations in Central America via Panama City.

It could develop into a hub for EU and Asian tourism into Costa Rica, the Caribbean, Mexico etc.