Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gunmen attack Karachi's Jinnah International Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Originally Posted by needroos
Well Peshawar airport has had some cases of mortar attacks before and the gulf airlines have kept flying. With Emirates upping to 6 times a day to Karachi I doubt they will pull out. European carriers pulled out of Karachi after 9/11. I guess the most likely airline to pull the plug is CX.
Why do you think CX is the most likely one to pull out? I think they are doing well on their KHI-BKK-HKG route. They recently introduced premium economy and new updated J (regional) class on this route also. They don't really have a lot of competition since MH and SQ have pulled out and it's only them and TG serving the east
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Now that Sri Lankan has joined One World and it is offering cheap fares to the East its questionable whether there is a large enough premium market for East bound flights. The route would not be sustainable without a stop in BKK. That said, CX has been around through thick and thin....
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I've got a hiking trip in Pakistan booked for next month. Don't worry, I'm flying into Lahore and out of Islamabad.
Calls for prayers I say. If they could attack KHI with impunity why would any other airport cannot be ?

Originally Posted by JoyRider
I flew into Lahore a few days ago and flying back in a few week...

Fingers crossed the airlines don't pull out
Best of luck! Arrive early due to extra safety precautions!

Originally Posted by needroos
Well Peshawar airport has had some cases of mortar attacks before and the gulf airlines have kept flying. With Emirates upping to 6 times a day to Karachi I doubt they will pull out. European carriers pulled out of Karachi after 9/11. I guess the most likely airline to pull the plug is CX.
Soon only "muslim related" airlines may dare t service Pakistan. Their hopes will be they will not be attacked. If so, they forget history.

Originally Posted by cdn1
Airport resumes normal operations

All 10 militants killed by rangers and military.
About 10 civilians too! Attack seems to be poorly planned as reportedly they did not reach the main terminal, or so say the reports.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

lack of machinery and lack of initiative/bickering, and political point-scoring caused 7 cargo workers of a private company to lose their lives, they were in the building where roof collapsed and due to heat they lost their lives awaiting rescue. They had taken shelter in the cold storage area. Chemicals etc are kept there and they reportedly had ignited...

Extremely sad for so many lives lost due to short-sightedness of the military who only chose to protect "assets" and not lives.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I've got a hiking trip in Pakistan booked for next month. Don't worry, I'm flying into Lahore and out of Islamabad.
Are you American? Where is the hiking trip?

I'm all for exciting trips, but I think that would be beyond my limit.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Airport operations at KHI are again suspended as militants have launched another attack at the premises, this time the Airport Security Forces encampment.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1111791/fir...ions-suspended
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
Airport operations at KHI are again suspended as militants have launched another attack at the premises, this time the Airport Security Forces encampment.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1111791/fir...ions-suspended
Flights have now resumed...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CX is pulling its KHI service as a result of this incident. KHI-BKK on CX was the start of some great premium cabin fare deals.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pakista...ghts-1.2671775
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:07 am

Gunmen attack Karachi's Jinnah International Airport

Cancellation was only for 2 days. See here:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/hidden-pages/special-updates/flights-to-and-from-karachi.html
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:05 pm

CX is now terminating operations to KHI effective 28th June.

Confirmed on airlineroute.net

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.