Nearly 300 Airlines Banned From European Airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/38661/

A total of 278 airliners are banned from using European airspace under strict European air safety regulations. On Tuesday one additional airline was added to the list alongside greater restrictions on Iran Air.
Airliners such as Ariana Afghan Airlines, Siem Reap Airways International from Cambodia and all Philippine airlines are excluded from using European airspace.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question

Originally Posted by sobore
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/38661/

A total of 278 airliners are banned from using European airspace under strict European air safety regulations. On Tuesday one additional airline was added to the list alongside greater restrictions on Iran Air.
Airliners such as Ariana Afghan Airlines, Siem Reap Airways International from Cambodia and all Philippine airlines are excluded from using European airspace.
Wow! Philippine Airlines is banned? I'm not an expert on any of this, but are they that bad?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Paella747
Wow! Philippine Airlines is banned? I'm not an expert on any of this, but are they that bad?
Yes, PR are still remains banned flying into EU airspace until the safety performance are improving enough.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I didn't think there were 278 ~total~ airliners in the world, much less so many that 278 could be banned.

About how many are there worldwide?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, PR are still remains banned flying into EU airspace until the safety performance are improving enough.

They banned all the airlines of the Philippines and not specifically Philippine Airlines. PR has good safety standards and ISO certification. The problem lies within the Philippine Aviation Authorities, after being downgraded from Cat 1 by FAA it's been hit hard by the EU ban.

I hope to see Asia's first Airline fly one day once again in the EU skies as I love their livery, and I have to admit I prefer asian carriers to european because of the difference in service quality!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
278 airlines get banned & ryanair is not one of them....shocking....
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:38 am

My understanding is that the vast majority of these banned "airlines" are tiny charter/freight operations in Africa and elsewhere..

Not real "airlines" as I would understand the term!!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by trooper
Not real "airlines" as I would understand the term!!
so once again i ask the question, how come ryanair is not on the list????
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Originally Posted by saad
so once again i ask the question, how come ryanair is not on the list????
I agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.