Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
3/17/12 - 13.9 mile training run on the Virginia Beach boardwalk
3/18/12 - Shamrock marathon (Virginia Beach, VA) 3:53
That doesn't sound like much of a taper.

Still an incredible time ^
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:27 pm

New to the thread, but recently completed the Old Pueblo 50 Ultra in the Santa Rita Mountains, south of Tucson on March 3rd. Fourteen hours, 16 minutes, 11 seconds.

Last edited by dsimon; Mar 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
yesterday, lots of different cardio and some weights.

today, 2.25 miles on the elliptical in about 30:30.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by dsimon
New to the thread, but recently completed the Old Pueblo 50 Ultra in the Santa Rita Mountains, south of Tucson on March 3rd. Fourteen hours, 16 minutes, 11 seconds.
Wow. ^

How long is the recovery from a distance like that for you?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
Wow. ^

How long is the recovery from a distance like that for you?
Other than walking, I took the entire following week off, and on the eighth day was out for 10 miles, and 15 on the tenth day. Both of those were on trails, so the impact was not as bad as it would have been on either asphalt or concrete.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
best time was a bit under 43 minutes.
Did my third ever 10,000 row tonight. Tried to keep in mind the form of legs first and not so much pulling in the initial part of the stroke. Average watt was higher until about 6-7000 meters when I started getting tired and lost a bit of form.

Shaved a full minute off my last time. I think sub 40 is doable with a little practice on my form.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:46 pm

Did my third ever 10,000 row tonight. Tried to keep in mind the form of legs first and not so much pulling in the initial part of the stroke. Average watt was higher until about 6-7000 meters when I started getting tired and lost a bit of form.

Shaved a full minute off my last time. I think sub 40 is doable with a little practice on my form.
Nice ^

Better form can significantly improve your times.

--

Got in a decent 6 mile interval run today, doing 1 min hard (around 6 min/mi) and 2 mins off.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did my longest ride ever* yesterday, 58.8 miles. Those last 3-4 miles home seemed the worst, especially going into the wind at that point.

I should have gone to the gym for a recovery swim last night, but I didn't. I walked the dog shortly after riding, then mostly recovered at home (did go out to shop for a new bike, which is becoming an extremely frustrating experience). Made it to swim this morning, and after the first ~1000 yards, I felt decent.

Hopefully I'm ready to finish my first metric century ride on Saturday.

*I biked quite a bit as a kid and went all over the place, but never really tracked it. I'd guess my furthest was ~40 miles, but that's just a guess.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Did my longest ride ever* yesterday, 58.8 miles.
nice!

I've done a few centuries but honestly my comfort zone for long rides is much closer to 60-70 miles....I get much over that and I need more rest on my legs than I'd like.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:20 pm

nice!

I've done a few centuries but honestly my comfort zone for long rides is much closer to 60-70 miles....I get much over that and I need more rest on my legs than I'd like.
Mine is a metric century, 100km, or roughly 65 miles

I'm toying with doing the 70 mile of the Tour de Mesa on 4/14. If I get a new bike by then, most definitely.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine is a metric century, 100km, or roughly 65 miles

I'm toying with doing the 70 mile of the Tour de Mesa on 4/14. If I get a new bike by then, most definitely.
I'm anxious to hear what you think of the metric century.

What new bike are you looking at?

*I'm NOT a biker by any stretch!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:26 pm

What new bike are you looking at?
I did a spin around the lot on a Specialized Roubaix about 6 weeks ago (just before my last running injury ); it seems like a great bike, but I was wearing jeans and sneakers so hard to judge feel. Went to a different branch of the same shop yesterday and they told me a Tarmac would be better (he said because I ride on the drop bars most of the time, if that makes any sense).

After calling the shop, I found out that their sister location (in Gilbert) does rentals for $60/day (less if you keep longer). So I reserved a Roubaix for Fri. Planning to ride my century with that. If I can swing it, I'll return that and pick up a Tarmac, so I can test them both fairly close to each other. If I buy within 30 days, they're credit the rental to my purchase. (but the rental is handy for when you come to PHX to ride with me )

Is it a mistake to do the century with a different bike? I'll do a short (like ~10 miles possibly) spin on Friday night, then a casual ride to the start Sat morning. Otherwise, I'll be going in fresh on the bike.

If I get a new bike, I think running will be a thing of the past for me, except maybe when I travel, and some short warm-ups before I do weights.

Last edited by aztimm; Mar 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:47 pm

Saturday: Did the Local Run for the Arts race put on by our local school district. It's billed as a 2 mile run. However, my GPS and my body said it was closer to 2.4 miles. 7:55 mile pace.

Today: 4.3 miles @ 9:47 pace.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to a different branch of the same shop yesterday and they told me a Tarmac would be better (he said because I ride on the drop bars most of the time, if that makes any sense).
I'm not an expert on them but yeah I think the Tarmac has a more aggressive ride/fit. Of those two I'm a roubaix fan but I'm rarley in the drop and am not very flexible in the back.

(but the rental is handy for when you come to PHX to ride with me )
I'd love that.....you'll have to ride slow for me

Is it a mistake to do the century with a different bike?
I think if its fitted properly it shouldn't be too big an issue....but YMMV

If I get a new bike, I think running will be a thing of the past for me, except maybe when I travel, and some short warm-ups before I do weights.
I got a bike after my second back surgery (and last marathon). I'd much rather run (better/faster workout) but that probably isn't going to happen.

Let me know what bike you go with and how you like it. I do find that bigger shops at the end of the season will have some really good deals if you get lucky....I got my Trek Madone 4.5 a couple years ago for $1400 and my wifes 4.5 last year for $1200 (in a triple!)....that's cheaper than her pilot 2.1 cost us.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:10 pm

Hit the treadmill today. Did 4.5 miles. Started at 11 minute pace and then went up the ladder every 1/4 mile and ended with an average 9:48 pace.

53k since I started using the Nike +gps last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.