Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Had a good running week so far--
* Sunday: 15.25 miles, pace was a little slower than before
* Tues: 8.12 miles, and avg pace 8:25...the best I've done at any distance like that since I sprained my ankle
* today: 6.42 miles, avg pace 8:07, was really shocked, this is comparable to some speed I was doing last summer.

Glad I decided not to do the marathon this weekend, and I'm saving up for Steamtown this fall.

The doctor had said I'd go through periods of recovery and plateau, and after a bit of plateau it is nice to have some recovery. I'm still doing some PT stretches, icing, etc.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
13-miles today, a little slower than planned race pace. Now the taper really kicks in. 15 days until the Tokyo Marathon.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
I got my butt kicked this morning, per usual, by my friend/running partner. 10 miles at 9:28 pace. Now I just need to figure out how to drop 20 seconds off of that while running another 5k. That's all. Good thing I have her to push me out of my comfort zone...there's no way I'd voluntarily cause myself that much pain!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by GBeckman
Good thing I have her to push me out of my comfort zone...there's no way I'd voluntarily cause myself that much pain!
That's an excellent way to get faster. You're improving your fitness when it's a bit uncomfortable (physically, not socially) to maintain a conversation with your running partner.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
I make sure to get any important stories/gossip/etc. out of the way early in the run since I know I won't be able to talk enough to do it at the end.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have a silly question.... does anyone else rely on listening to music while running to be fast?

I try to train w/o music for my long runs, but today I caved and, had some outstanding results for a training run (outstanding for me, even pre-injury times)--

distance: 13.21 miles
time: 01:55:14
avg pace: 8:43 min/mile

How do you take a time like this and apply it to a full marathon, where they ban headphones?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
So I have a silly question.... does anyone else rely on listening to music while running to be fast?

I try to train w/o music for my long runs, but today I caved and, had some outstanding results for a training run (outstanding for me, even pre-injury times)--

distance: 13.21 miles
time: 01:55:14
avg pace: 8:43 min/mile

How do you take a time like this and apply it to a full marathon, where they ban headphones?
I only use music when running alone, and I don't think my performance changes any (for better or worse).

It's hard to use a long run to derive your marathon time. My training runs for my last marathon were always in the 9:00/mile+ pace, but I finished in the 8:40s. For my last half marathon I trained in the 8:15-8:30/mile range but finished in the 7:30s. Race day (for me at least) adds a good bit of speed.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:04 pm

Has anyone else read (or reading), "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance," by Matt Fitzgerald?

I picked it up last week and it is pretty interesting. I like the idea of testing monthly, and recording your weight/body fat. I have an idea what my ideal weight probably is, but this should give a better idea.

There's quite a few threads about the book over on the swimming forums I look at, some people love it, some hate it. I'm still reading, but so far so good.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:20 pm

Personal best in the Tokyo Marathon yesterday: 3:20:12 (give or take a couple of seconds). I look forward to joining magiciansampras for the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dhuey
Personal best in the Tokyo Marathon yesterday: 3:20:12 (give or take a couple of seconds). I look forward to joining magiciansampras for the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Great job dhuey! I went on the Tokyo Marathon site yesterday, but couldn't find results.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dukeman
Great job dhuey! I went on the Tokyo Marathon site yesterday, but couldn't find results.
Thanks! It's a clunky site. It seems to require bib numbers (mine was 23857), and at the moment it has only gun times.

Join us for Boston in 2011?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:24 pm

Kinda fun to see your splits in Japanese: http://r.tokyo42195.org/numberfile/23857.html

Still waiting on the chip time.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thanks! It's a clunky site. It seems to require bib numbers (mine was 23857), and at the moment it has only gun times.

Join us for Boston in 2011?
We'll see. I've been offered a spot in Chicago in October and am thinking about it.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
The Cyclist Is Back!

Originally Posted by aztimm
Does singing songs to yourself (in your head, that is) whilst riding a bike count?

Well, I think my long, habitual, sedentary period of winter sloth is finally over. Though I haven't ridden more than twice per week, I have been consistently riding more or less (well, I missed yesterday's ride, as I was busy cleaning out a shed ). I haven't been recording ride times. At this point in time I figure that it doesn't make any sense to add any pressure to ride quickly; I just need to get my legs back beneath me and put on some base miles. More later ...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Congrats, dhuey! Awesome time.

Good to see this thread around again. I've been getting swim coaching the past month or so and have improved my endurance significantly, from 200-250yds a session to 1000 this weekend. I'm going to try out a masters group later this month. This is in preparation for a sprint tri in April.

I did a duathlon this weekend that showed I need to work on my bike. I was top 5-ish in my AG on my run splits (6:45/mile and 7:00/mile) but in the bottom 5 on the bike even though I averaged 18+ mph. The distances were 3/15/3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.