Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Hit up the gym today for about an hour. Did 30 mins of weights, mostly dumbbell exercises (chest press, bicep curls, tricep extension, etc.). Then I did a 30 minute running program on the treadmill that incorporated a steady climb from 1% incline to 3% incline. Finished 4.0 miles in 30:00 or 7:30/mile pace. Felt good!

Alcohol consumed last night: 2 glasses of white wine.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Got in about 50 min of weights after I got home last night. Pretty much the usual...chest bench w/machine, fly with machine, bench w/dumbells, fly with dumbells, tricep curl w/dumbell, tricep pull down, back pull down, then bicep curls with dumbell. When I do curls (both tri and bi) I do one arm at a time, going right from one to the other. I finished with 60 elevated situps.

Today, woke around 5, did some light stretching, then did 50 pushups, held The Plank for 2 min, then got out and started my run...here's the graph:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,540534940
Initially went out a little sluggish, then saw a group on the other side of the canal passing me and that competitive nature kicked in...especially when they crossed the 1st street, getting the signal and I knew it would take a while if I didn't sprint across with them. They eventually passed me anyway. Funny thing is, I caught them about 2 miles later, they were walking and I had Nine Inch Nails, "Head like a hole," playing as I ran past them.
Overall, I had a great run, I felt great. The music really helped, had some mostly upbeat stuff. I was happy to get some Depeche Mode after NIN to calm down a bit. Oh, towards the end (if you look at the graph you'll see a big red dot) I tried out my new, "Power Song,"...Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "All Around the World." Think I'll switch that to, "Higher Ground." Basically you pick a song, when you push/hold the big middle button you'll hear a beep then the song begins. After the song, the prior stuff continues. I've had a few over the past year, and it is hard to settle on one...had Metallica, "Enter Sandman," for a while which really made me pick up my pace. Sometime I'll post all the songs I play during a run.
Did another 80 elevated situps when I got home, then 300 crunches. Still trying to get my 6 pack back, pretty close.

Was planning to swim tonight, but got an offer last night of free tickets to tonight's Diamondbacks game. Haven't gone to one for 2-3 years (since I was at America West and went to their box a few times). Hard to give up an offer like that, especially with a parking pass.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Off to Berlin, folks. Auf wiedersehen until next week.
Sorry for the delay, but I echo the other comments, have a great time in Berlin, and enjoy the marathon!!!!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:09 pm

deleted

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 26, 2008 at 4:49 pm
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hey law dawg, what does a 1x1 press mean again?
A press is the correct term for an overhead press (as opposed to bench press, etc.)

1x1x1x1x1x1x1 really means seven sets of one rep. It's max effort day. The only set I did that had multiple reps in it was the last burn out set.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:38 pm

Did go to the D'backs game last night, and it was a good game. The (free) seats were about 20 rows behind home plate. Didn't consume any alcohol, but did get a Gordon Biersch turkey burger and garlic fries (with a bottle of water). They played the Rockies and won! Saw 2 homers, but left after 5 innings.

Just now finished with a great weight set. Was feeling very lethargic, so had a Shamrock coffee drink from the fridge w/2 coffee ice cubes that had been made early in the week w/Starbucks coffee. Then I was jumpy as could be, and probably did more than I should have. Did my usual chest, triceps, back, biceps, etc...then 90 regular elevated situps, 20 elevated Rocky situps, and another 20 regular...then held The Plank for 2 min. I'll probably feel it tomorrow.

Planning for a longish run tomorrow morning, not exactly sure how far I want, but maybe 12-14 miles. I did about 15 last week, and I'm thinking I should take this week a little lighter. Any ideas?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 4:33 pm

30 minutes of Pilates and yoga. Mostly focused on planks. Abs are screaming at me that it's Sunday and football and they should be indulging in beer at this time. They believe this is unfair and blatant insubordination.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 5:53 pm

So its been awhile (a couple of weeks) since I did gym workout - and finally got going!

9/23/08 - arm workout
9/28/08 - leg workout (the gym I go to http://cardinalfitnessindy.com/locations.php - is always empty on weekends - soooo nice!).
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:29 pm

Today didn't go as I had expected.

NY Road Runners had an 18-mile marathon tune-up this morning in Central Park. Started at 7am; it was a timed race with three loops around the park. For some reason I couldn't find my watch this morning, and ended up leaving my apartment late after a fruitless search.

Got to the start and began looking around for the table where they have the numbers and timing chips. No table. I asked somebody and they said, "oh, the numbers are back at NYRR on 89th, not here." That was about a mile away, and the race was starting in 10 minutes.

Of course, had I read the e-mail they sent earlier this week, I would have known that numbers wouldn't have been available at the start, as they usually are before a race. I chalked that one up to my illiteracy, gave up and went home.

But I still had to get a long run in today, as it's my last one before the marathon on October 12th. It's been unseasonably humid, so I waited until the afternoon for that to see if that would change -- it did, but only modestly. Left my apartment just before 5pm, went down the FDR from 23rd, around Battery Park, and up the West Side Highway to 59th before turning around and coming back home the same way.

20 miles, 3h03m. My goal was 3 hours even, which is a 9:00/mile pace.

I took two gels with me -- had one at 6.5 and the other at 13. Really wished I had another one around 17/18.

Felt great the whole way until 17, when my chest/stomach became a little tight, but I ran through that and it was gone by 19. The last mile definitely took some effort. I don't have a GPS watch or reliable mile markers, so unfortunately I don't have my splits, other than the first 10 miles in 1h29m and the second 10 miles in 1h34m.

All in all, very pleased. I'm sticking with my marathon goal of 4 hours flat.

----

Now, where's dhuey? Haile Gebrselassie set a new world record with his 2:03:59 performance. Hopefully our FT runner also put up a great time!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10534748
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by blort
Now, where's dhuey? Haile Gebrselassie set a new world record with his 2:03:59 performance. Hopefully our FT runner also put up a great time!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10534748
Looks like dhuey ran a solid race, finishing under 3:50: http://results.real-berlin-marathon....g=DE&event=MAL

Didn't hit his goal, but it can't be easy running a marathon when jetlagged.

I'm impressed that he finished. I wouldn't have made it out of bed. ^
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Looks like dhuey ran a solid race, finishing under 3:50: http://results.real-berlin-marathon....g=DE&event=MAL

Didn't hit his goal, but it can't be easy running a marathon when jetlagged.

I'm impressed that he finished. I wouldn't have made it out of bed. ^
I blame that fondue he was going to try the night before.

Can't wait for the report! Was in Berlin a couple of years ago -- must be an amazing course.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:10 pm

Sun 9/28/08....made it out to run this morning. Woke around 5:30, did some stretching, 40 pushups, held The Plank for 2 min, then got out and going. Temp was about 75 to 80 when I started, mid to upper 80s when I finished (thought it was supposed to be fall).

Here's the graph:
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l...unID,607617867
Looks like my Nike+ spazzed out about 1/2 way. I started with my 'usual' long run, then took the route I followed last week. Then I continued on the one street, back to the canal. Instead of coming back north (toward home), I went south...for 2 miles. All in all, it was 13.23 miles, according to Nike+.
After I got home, I did about 30 min of abs (100 elevated situps, and a bunch of crunches, weighted crunches, obliques, etc). Then I jumped in the pool ^
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: CO Silver
Did 12 miles on Saturday averaging 9:01 pace. No GI issues this time. I did switch from ClifShots to GU...they taste way better! Also drank a lot more water this time.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:23 am

Today-

7x3 of clean and press:

Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
Did 12 miles on Saturday averaging 9:01 pace. No GI issues this time. I did switch from ClifShots to GU...they taste way better! Also drank a lot more water this time.
Do you eat this during your run? Do you carry it with you? Do you carry water with you?

Just the thought of eating anything before/during running or swimming makes my stomach turn. I'm famished by the time I'm done, and usually have some cereal after my shorter runs, and a big breakfast after a longer run. Thankfully, there are water fountains along much of my running course, so I don't carry any with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.