Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man in 1A thick with cold

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by patvd
Not offensive at all! It’s an obligation for the crew to take precautionary measures if they suspect a contagious disease.
Exactly. After all, they always say that their biggest responsibility is the safety of all onboard...
Old May 26, 2024, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
What do others do when thick with cold and have to travel…..
This is what the UK civil aviation authority says:
You should delay your flight until the illness is no longer contagious.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:39 pm

Maybe I would politely ask for a seat “well within the non-coughing section” as my mother used to request when we’d fly to Barbados in the smoking days for a seat “well within the non-smoking section”

Tongue in cheek of course, but she could legitimately say back then she was allergic to cigarette smoke… and some people are allergic to sicknesses… I’m not saying they should be prevented from flying, but if there’s someone near you filling the air with whatever they have, it’s not unreasonable to ask to move away from it.

In these days where every restaurant asks you if you have a food allergy, and planes will forego services over peanuts (literally,) it does seem a little strange to just look the other way when someone is properly infectious. But here we are…

And finally, I was unwittingly such a passenger in March 2020 when I flew from Paris to Săo Paulo. Coughing in the lounge, coughing in the plane… had already booked flights and apartments and had nowhere realistic to stay until I got down there… never once crossed my mind I had COVID as no one was taking it seriously until about a week later… But I probably did as I tested positive for the antibodies a couple months later when those tests were developed. Hindsight being what it is, I’m still not sure what I’d do. Both my own and my family’s experience with hospitals is that they tend only to make things worse with additional infections you certainly didn’t have before… If I am away from “home” whatever that is for me these days, I’d be urgent to get back to wherever I could care for myself with the least of inconvenience to others, even if that means a few hours in 1A. But I’d probably be apologetic and do my best to protect others, including a mask and if possible some distance.
Dino55 likes this.

Last edited by Schultzois; May 26, 2024 at 6:46 pm
Old May 26, 2024, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Those who demand coughers on public transport be immediately gagged worries me. Let's hope it doesn't catch on.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
Masks are such a controversy...

Look, I keep it simple.. My goal is to protect myself and my family. Someone hacking in my vicinity, I mask up. I'm not going to give them the side eye or alert a flight attendant.

Carry a high quality mask and use your own best practices. In a perfect world, people would show consideration for others, that seemingly went out the window a few years ago.
Twickenham likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I always understood that air inside an airplane was cleaner than most other indoor spaces. Very low risk of (airborne) transmission.

Example from source : "The air in the aircraft cabin comprises of around 50% fresh air from outside the aircraft and 50% of HEPA filtered air. The air in the cabin is also renewed 20-30 times an hour or once every 2-3 minutes."

The filtration isn't perfect and a recent systematic review of 15 studies shows that the risk increases with the length of the flight. However, wearing a mask pretty much negates the risk. Also risk varies with exposure time so taking your mask off to eat or drink increases the risk but it's still much lower than the risk of not being masked. You can get the study with details if you google "The Risk of Aircraft-Acquired SARS-CoV-2 Transmission during Commercial Flights: A Systematic Review" (I haven't posted enough to be able to post urls).
Zeeb likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Surely if you are worried, then putting on a mask yourself is the answer. If the sick person is wearing one, they are going to have lift it anyway when they cough!
Wait, wut?
Old May 27, 2024, 3:57 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by patvd
This is what the UK civil aviation authority says:
Tell BA and other airlines. I would not fly when contagious if airlines offered to put you on the next flight after you recover. However, I am not letting a cold cost me 1000 or more EUR. Would travel insurance even cover a cold?
It certainly isn't ideal, but you can't blame people for not wanting or not being able to afford to pay for last minute airfare + an indefinite hotel stay.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:04 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by allturnleft
In these post covid days what do people think

Spotted him in the lounge constantly sniffing and clearing his throat

We are in the row behind; other half is paranoid FP3 applied

I am quite laid back

What do others do when thick with cold and have to travel…..
Who still, and voluntarily, owns FP3 masks?

[edited by mod to remove unclear meaning and symbols used to bypass profanity filter.]

Last edited by l etoile; May 27, 2024 at 5:46 am
Old May 27, 2024, 5:22 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by lostinthegrid
The filtration isn't perfect and a recent systematic review of 15 studies shows that the risk increases with the length of the flight. However, wearing a mask pretty much negates the risk. Also risk varies with exposure time so taking your mask off to eat or drink increases the risk but it's still much lower than the risk of not being masked. You can get the study with details if you google "The Risk of Aircraft-Acquired SARS-CoV-2 Transmission during Commercial Flights: A Systematic Review" (I haven't posted enough to be able to post urls).
I wasn't suggesting it was perfect. Simply that its better than almost any other indoor spaces.
SPN Lifer and ralph4878 like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by camdentown
I'd say if you you are thick with whatever ailment such that you would stay home from work, then you shouldn't travel.
And yes, I think an annoyingly large proportion of people come into work sick when they shouldn't!
People suck.

I’ve had people call out of school or work, sick, but then come to our office for eye exams bc they took the day off.

People suck.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I was on a flight a few days ago - I was in an aisle seat in economy, and across the aisle was a family of three - the wife was in the middle seat, hacking up a storm (and it wasn't "allergies" - it was a clear congested cough with sniffles, so likely a cold of some sort).

I was kind of annoyed, and you could tell the people in the rows in front and behind them were also annoyed.

This is just something that has changed with Covid - people are more sensitive about being exposed to people with contagious stuff. I know many people at work, for example, who will actively avoid interacting with people in person who believe they have a cold. Also - people are more likely to stay home from work when sick than they used to.

I didn't have a mask with me on the flight - though I wish I did. I almost asked the flight crew if they had masks on them, but ultimately didn't. I still have dozens of K95 masks sitting around my house - I have now packed a few in each of my carry on bags so that I am now prepared. I have also always packed hand sanitizer on my carry on since the pandemic. Mask wearing in general is not uncommon in US air travel - a clear minority of passengers and crew, to be sure, but it's not unusual to see masks on planes nowadays, so it is strange that some commentators think it is weird when people do wear masks.
ralph4878 and Igene like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; May 27, 2024 at 7:30 am
Old May 27, 2024, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Those who demand coughers on public transport be immediately gagged worries me. Let's hope it doesn't catch on.
Pretty sure that no one here has demanded this, as there's a clear line between someone coughing due to a tickle in their throat and someone intentionally taking a form of public transportation knowing that they are or feel sick. No one has the right to endanger others' well-being; I don't care what sort of excuse they try and find - it's called human decency.
l etoile, squiddz and Igene like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Pretty sure that no one here has demanded this, as there's a clear line between someone coughing due to a tickle in their throat and someone intentionally taking a form of public transportation knowing that they are or feel sick. No one has the right to endanger others' well-being; I don't care what sort of excuse they try and find - it's called human decency.
You obviously didn't get the joke.
Old May 28, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
With easy availability of n95s, anyone who cares about others being sick can wear one and be protected. I say that as someone who came down with a cold right before going to Hawaii ten years , got doped up on DayQuil and still had fun., but still masked and vaxxxed during pandemic

Then again I have a little disease vector coming home from daycare everyday so my risk tolerance is higher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.