Face Masks

Old Feb 24, 20, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Face Masks

I was wondering about wearing a mask on airplanes and crowded places during travels. I've never used one, and am rather uninformed what types are available. Obviously the objective is to prevent inhaling airborne pathogens (viruses) and aerosols (liquid droplets). If anyone used masks and perhaps tried with more than one type, please share your experiences. I'm US-based and could also use info on sources of such protection.
Old Feb 25, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold,
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
I was wondering about wearing a mask on airplanes and crowded places during travels. I've never used one, and am rather uninformed what types are available. Obviously the objective is to prevent inhaling airborne pathogens (viruses) and aerosols (liquid droplets). If anyone used masks and perhaps tried with more than one type, please share your experiences. I'm US-based and could also use info on sources of such protection.
Cant help with answers to your Question. and I somewhat understand your concern given the current Corona Virus deal, But... when I encounter someone wearing a mask the first thoughts to my mind are A: is this person protecting themselves from outside exposures? OR B: is this person Sick and trying to not infect those around them???
I don't fly a lot and only Domestic, and don't recall having someone on a flight wearing a mask. wrong as it may be... if you sat next to me wearing a Surgical Mask I think I would be very uncomfortable ! RT
Old Feb 25, 20, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadtriper View Post
... A: is this person protecting themselves from outside exposures? OR B: is this person Sick and trying to not infect those around them???
A face mask is supposed to help with both cases. Oftentimes mask wearers would not know in which category they are. People infected with corona viruses (including common cold) are highly contagious long before they start showing any symptoms.
Old Feb 25, 20, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Masks do an ok job of protecting others from something you have. Not so much the other way around. General non-hysteric advice is to forget about face masks and wash your hands frequently and not touch your face so much.
Old Feb 25, 20, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's been some discussion of masks, including types/brands/availability/prices, in the [moderator edit] Corona Virus thread in the China destination forum. You can find some of the relevant posts in that thread by searching for "N95" (use the quote marks because it's too short).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 2, 20 at 3:17 pm Reason: Please don’t use a “shorthand” only understood by people familiar with the thread in the China forum.
Old Feb 25, 20, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
... General non-hysteric advice is to forget about face masks and wash your hands frequently and not touch your face so much.
This advice is not applicable to primarily airborne pathogens, and not in competition with face masks. This thread is about the latter.
Btw, the current hypothesis is that Covid-19 is not spread via contact with solid surfaces. But it's too early to be certain at this point.
Old Feb 25, 20, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
I think you should just stay in self imposed quarantine until this all passes. It's probably the best advice unless you want to walk about like a scuba diver. I am enjoying sneezing and saying "I just got back from Asia". Remember, humour is the best medicine.
LondonElite and MaxVO like this.
Old Feb 25, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There's been some discussion of masks, including types/brands/availability/prices, in the Corona Virus thread in the China destination forum. You can find some of the relevant posts in that thread by searching for "N95" (use the quote marks because it's too short).
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at that thread. Funny I happened to have a 3M paint & dust mask from Home Depot (similar to N95). I thought it was rather useless even for the intended purpose, b/c the air was just going around the mask and fogs up my eyeglasses.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 2, 20 at 3:19 pm Reason: Conform to edited version of quoted text
Old Feb 26, 20, 6:21 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at that thread. Funny I happened to have a 3M paint & dust mask from Home Depot (similar to N95). I thought it was rather useless even for the intended purpose, b/c the air was just going around the mask and fogs up my eyeglasses.

And there you have your answer.

Unless you're going to be spending the money on a mask and filters that seal and stay sealed you're simply wasting your time and money.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Feb 26, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
as much as most of us need/want to know: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi.../respsars.html
squeakr likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 7:06 am

I have ordered some NBC masks issued to NATO troops. This is a full face, latest-model. The filters are in date.

I'm sure there are some ex-Military here. I wouldn't want to be one of those silly pax taking a mask off in a restaurant to eat, waving it around in the air, tied to their waist etc. What practical advise would be offered? I imagine I will be forced to remove it at airport security which is going to be an issue.

When taking the mask off, would it be best to clean the surfaces before I take I remove it with a high alcohol solution (60%+)? -because the surfaces could easily be contaminated, though I am conscious that the virus can apparently survive for around 10 hours on a surface.

There is a drinking system so that should alleviate the need to remove it to stay hydrated and of course I would never be eating in public etc.

My big worry is my grandparents and I hope they will use them to go about their lives for the time being. I'm sure it will bring back memories for them!
Old Mar 2, 20, 8:24 am

The mask is not quite as pointless as not drinking Corona beer (that's a true thing, I'm sad to report), but it's close - UNLESS you bought the right one and UNLESS you know how to use it.

From Hong Kong, some practical info:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/03/0...-immunologist/
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:04 am

Please don't https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...k-coronavirus/
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Folks,

The Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is the place for asking questions and offering advice to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.The forum guidelines are that members restrict their postings to safety related information that should be known when traveling. Appropriate topics for the TS/S Practical forum include travel documents, prohibited/permitted items, personal safety while traveling and techniques for securing personal property while traveling.

As this thread has evolved into a debate of the effectiveness of the use of face masks to protect against the COVID-19 virus, the Travel Health and Fitness forum, where travel medical issues are generally discussed, seems to be a more appropriate home for it. Please follow this thread as it moves there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: