let's play guess my ailment!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

let's play guess my ailment!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do keep us up to date on this. I have a friend going through a bunch of health issues at the moment (male and different issues) but I think about you when talking to him.

Its frustrating. I wish there was a magic pill/wand to fix or even diagnoss some of this .....

RJ
Old May 14, 2013, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by annerj
Do keep us up to date on this. I have a friend going through a bunch of health issues at the moment (male and different issues) but I think about you when talking to him.

Its frustrating. I wish there was a magic pill/wand to fix or even diagnoss some of this .....

RJ
Thanks. I still need to get my other bloodwork and the echo is Friday.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
The rheumatologist said I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis, but that's it. Next step, rule out any heart issues, then see an endocrinologist.
Was fibromyalgia discussed?
Old May 15, 2013, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yes, but I'm assuming now that the rheumatologist said I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis, I'm assuming she'll say everything is related to that. Although, I don't think it explains my muscle pain.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Yes, but I'm assuming now that the rheumatologist said I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis, I'm assuming she'll say everything is related to that. Although, I don't think it explains my muscle pain.
It's quite possible to have both, and a good doc will recognize and treat each one.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

It's quite possible to have both, and a good doc will recognize and treat each one.
I think the bolded part may be a problem, or at least I'm feeling like it may be a problem.

Once I have all of the test results, I'll schedule another follow-up, and ask about that, plus ask for a referral to an endocrinologist, assuming these tests show no reason for this. In fact, I probably should call now to schedule a follow-up for the week of Memorial Day.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Bloodwork was drawn yesterday, and the echo was this morning. It'll be read this afternoon, and then by Monday, my doctor's office should have the report. I have a follow-up appointment scheduled for Thursday afternoon.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I'm getting a bit annoyed--I was told they'd have the echo report on Monday morning, and when I called yesterday afternoon, it showed as pending. They're supposed to call me when they have it, and now I'm starting to worry.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I called again today, and they finally have the results back--it's normal. So, now, I have my follow-up tomorrow, and will ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Had my follow-up appointment yesterday. Yet again, she suggested anti-depressants. I politely declined, because, like I told her, I know that's not what it is.

I did finally get a referral to an endocrinologist, although she told me, "If they see that you have normal labs, they may not see you." Really? If that's the case, I know they aren't the doctor for me.

She seemed to rule this out, as the rheumatologist didn't mention it, so she's figuring that if he didn't mention it, I can't have it. *sigh* Looks like, depending on the endocrinologist, I may be making a drive out towards PHL one of these days.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:51 pm

I am not an M.D. I have no idea whether your particular M.D. might be able to defend her reasoning before a committee of peers (professional judgment and all that). I even have no idea of how often the evaluation of depression or whatever turns out to be the actual cause.

But I have an opinion, and, uninformed as it may be, it is strong, and fortified by years of describing various symptoms.

In all those years I have been told maybe two-three times the equivalent of, "it's all in your head."

And each time the.doctor.has.been.wrong. Also--IME only, the doctors who have said that haven't turned out to have been that outstanding in reputation over the years. Anyhow, when told that, eventually I got the diagnosis that the (delete discourteous epithet) did not find and should have found.

In my opinion--again, my definitely uninformed opinion--the diagnosis of psychosomatic can be used to justify stereotypes (guess which sex is diagnosed more often with depression and/or anxiety--go ahead, just guess) or to cover up for a clinician's inability to come out and say, "I haven't a clue."

I have learned to move on. They get one chance at it, and then I'm gone.

BTW, that almost never happens any longer. Reason: I can identify the patronizing ones by a mile. I also research carefully and get the ones with good patient reviews, the ones with excellent hospital affiliations . . . IOW, I have gotten good over the years at identifying top doctors.

Not saying yours isn't, not saying yours might not be right . . . only saying that I would have been gone a long time ago. I don't have to stay within a narrow list of providers, however and if that is your case, perfectly understandable. If not, you don't owe eternal patience and your soul and your beloved dogs to this person.

Anyhow, kudos for your patience, patient. (Trying to make light of it, but in spite of the joking, I am very sympathetic. It is a problem that doesn't really get enough attention--IMO, that is. And yes, I do know that the mind and body are interconnected, and sometimes the diagnosis is justified--only that it is overused and sometimes misused--IMO.)
Old May 25, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
I am not an M.D. I have no idea whether your particular M.D. might be able to defend her reasoning before a committee of peers (professional judgment and all that). I even have no idea of how often the evaluation of depression or whatever turns out to be the actual cause.

But I have an opinion, and, uninformed as it may be, it is strong, and fortified by years of describing various symptoms.

In all those years I have been told maybe two-three times the equivalent of, "it's all in your head."

And each time the.doctor.has.been.wrong. Also--IME only, the doctors who have said that haven't turned out to have been that outstanding in reputation over the years. Anyhow, when told that, eventually I got the diagnosis that the (delete discourteous epithet) did not find and should have found.

In my opinion--again, my definitely uninformed opinion--the diagnosis of psychosomatic can be used to justify stereotypes (guess which sex is diagnosed more often with depression and/or anxiety--go ahead, just guess) or to cover up for a clinician's inability to come out and say, "I haven't a clue."

I have learned to move on. They get one chance at it, and then I'm gone.

BTW, that almost never happens any longer. Reason: I can identify the patronizing ones by a mile. I also research carefully and get the ones with good patient reviews, the ones with excellent hospital affiliations . . . IOW, I have gotten good over the years at identifying top doctors.

Not saying yours isn't, not saying yours might not be right . . . only saying that I would have been gone a long time ago. I don't have to stay within a narrow list of providers, however and if that is your case, perfectly understandable. If not, you don't owe eternal patience and your soul and your beloved dogs to this person.

Anyhow, kudos for your patience, patient. (Trying to make light of it, but in spite of the joking, I am very sympathetic. It is a problem that doesn't really get enough attention--IMO, that is. And yes, I do know that the mind and body are interconnected, and sometimes the diagnosis is justified--only that it is overused and sometimes misused--IMO.)
She seems to be nice enough, but I am very tired of the depression suggestion.

I was talking to a coworker about some of this (not because I wanted to, but because the boss tends to favor her, and she suggested that he's concerned my doctor's appointments have been interviews), and her father has suffered with depression for a long time. She found the doctor's suggestion extremely funny. She also pointed out that it's not necessarily easy to start or stop anti-depressants, and it's not like the side effects are enjoyable.

I have an appointment set up with the endocrinologist for July 10 (the soonest they could see me), so we'll go from there. If nothing else, I think it may be time to set up an appointment with a PCP a friend suggested that's close to home, to have a discussion, and see if she's not so dependent on one diagnosis.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
How about primary biliary cirrhosis? My sister was recently diagnosed and one of her main symptoms was fatigue, almost crushing fatigue in middle of work day. It is an autoimmune disease that attacts the liver. Blood work to check AMA level (anti-mitochondrial antibody) and liver function tests. Has a familial component so I had AMA drawn as well (gratefully negative), and had results back in couple days.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
How about primary biliary cirrhosis? My sister was recently diagnosed and one of her main symptoms was fatigue, almost crushing fatigue in middle of work day. It is an autoimmune disease that attacts the liver. Blood work to check AMA level (anti-mitochondrial antibody) and liver function tests. Has a familial component so I had AMA drawn as well (gratefully negative), and had results back in couple days.
Standard liver function tests were normal. Hope your sister is improving!
Old May 28, 2013, 6:34 am
Original Poster

When I was at Dream Dinners on Friday, the owner, who only sees me every few months, and one of the employees who sees me every month, both commented that I looked very tired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.