Community
Wiki Posts
Search

let's play guess my ailment!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I had my blood drawn today, and have a follow-up appointment on May 8th. I'll get a copy of them about the same time the doctor's office does, so I'll be able to see them prior to that.

Originally Posted by l'etoile
If nothing else, this story is interesting (picks up at page 3). One little tidbit from it was, though we tend to say we sleep better when we're not alone in bed, we actually do sleep better alone. So maybe you're on to part of it.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_kolbert
I know his snoring keeps me from falling asleep at times, so I have to wonder if it disturbs me enough to wake me at night.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I'm waiting on the lab results still. They hadn't sent them after 5 business days, so I called, and I should have them within an hour.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Everything is normal... TSH is lower than last time.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by kipper
The doctor keeps pushing, and has pushed depression since I complained about being fatigued last year. Apparently, it's abnormal for me to insist that's not it or something, because she keeps pushing that, and I keep insisting that it's not. I'm generally happy and content, but apparently, that's just wrong.
What you most need is a new doctor with less ego and a more open mind.

I had a doctor like yours, he keep insisting my health problems were menopause or all in my head. For 7 months I kept getting worse and he kept up with the condescending garbage. Turned out to be cancer, and by the time I got to the oncologist, he said I was within a couple weeks of dying because of how rapidly the cancer was spreading by then. Fortunately it was treatable, or I wouldn't be here now.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything is normal... TSH is lower than last time.
Sleep study

New Doctor
Old May 3, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
What you most need is a new doctor with less ego and a more open mind.

I had a doctor like yours, he keep insisting my health problems were menopause or all in my head. For 7 months I kept getting worse and he kept up with the condescending garbage. Turned out to be cancer, and by the time I got to the oncologist, he said I was within a couple weeks of dying because of how rapidly the cancer was spreading by then. Fortunately it was treatable, or I wouldn't be here now.
I'm leaning towards a new doctor.

Glad to hear that in your case, the cancer was treatable!
Originally Posted by annerj
Sleep study

New Doctor
Probably both.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:15 pm

Had you thought about checking with an endocrinologist anyway, if your insurance permits? Maybe it could be something else in that general area?
Old May 6, 2013, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
Had you thought about checking with an endocrinologist anyway, if your insurance permits? Maybe it could be something else in that general area?
My insurance does permit it, so that may be a step as well.

The doctor did mention that fatigue and such could be some sort of heart issue. In doing some research online, I did find a bunch of thyroid issues that wouldn't show up in a normal blood test.

I think, at my appointment, I'm going to ask that we make sure it's not some sort of heart issue (I'll feel better mentally knowing it's not that), and if we can explore some of the thyroid issues that wouldn't appear in a normal blood test.

If she says no to the thyroid issues, then I'll go to an endocrinologist.

Articles like this one are why I'll feel better mentally if we rule out any sort of heart issue.

Last edited by kipper; May 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

We're going to rule out any heart issues, and she's sending me to a rheumatologist.

More lab work for probably Friday, and I'm trying to schedule everything else ASAP. Depending on all of that, I may still go to an endocrinologist, although a friend who works in the medical field suggested another PCP, so I may go and see her.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:52 pm

I was at the doctor's office today, again complaining about fatigue. She's ordered more bloodwork, since it's been over a year since I've last had any tests. My symptoms are:
fatigue, not being able to lose much, if any weight, even though I'm following WW, headaches, dry skin, hair loss, joint/muscle pain
[snip]
We're going to rule out any heart issues, and she's sending me to a rheumatologist.
[snip]
?
Old May 9, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
?
I know, I know, but depending on what they say, I may end up going to see a different PCP or an endocrinologist as well. I say joint pain and my PCP figures I should see a rheumatologist.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Wow, they move fast... Appointment with the rheumatologist tomorrow afternoon, and an echo next Friday, at 6:30 AM. Lab work Monday at 6:30 AM.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UAPlatinum/* gold, United Club, KE 'morning calm'/skyteam elite
Autoimmune Thyroid?

So.... Im going with Thyroid as well; here are my questions, as I only scanned the subsequent posts very quickly:

I see that your Dr ran TSH; but did he (she?) also run:

-your actual thyroid hormone levels? (these would show up on the blood test as T3, T4, FreeT3 or just FT3....)
-antibody tests: Anti-TAb, TSI, and the other tests that suggest possible autoimmune thyroid issues?

the reason I ask is that you mentioned you had very low vitamin d, which tends to happen in people with autoimmune issues. often if your body is making antibodies against your thyroid, you can feel awful even if your numbers (particularly just TSH, which is really just a preliminary test) are in range.

Disclaimer: Im not a DR.... I don't even play one on TV, but I do have one of the autoimmune thyroid issues, so your complaints sounded familiar to me. A website that's been helpful for me has been : www.thyroidboards.com Its kind of the fylertalk of thyroids

Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon & that your Drs can get to the bottom of this ASAP!
Old May 9, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

In July 2012, my T4 was 1.1, and my Thyroglobulin Antibodies were <20 while my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies were <10.

Since then, she's not ordered those again, or anything other than TSH.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

The rheumatologist said I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis, but that's it. Next step, rule out any heart issues, then see an endocrinologist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.