Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

anyone else like diet soda after a long workout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I never drink soda.

With one exception. After a long run (over 15 miles or so), I like to stop in at the local 7-11 and get myself a Double Big Gulp of Diet Coke. For some reason I find it to be the perfect rehydrating tool. I get a lot of fluids, it has some flavor, and it helps to settle my stomach (which can be queasy if it was a particularly taxing effort and/or real hot outside). I literally do not have a desire to drink the stuff except for that one bizarre condition.

So I wonder, does anyone else do this? Or am I just a weirdo? I imagine it's not the best post-workout beverage, but it seems to work for me. I don't like the sports drink after a workout.. too much sugar or something.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I often put a diet coke in my car and drink it on the way home or to work after leaving the gym
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I often put a diet coke in my car and drink it on the way home or to work after leaving the gym
Maybe I'm not crazy!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:08 pm

I've definitely had moments in a long run where I'd love a Coke.

I'm not a big fan of Diet Coke. Once in a while, I'll have a Coke Zero. Even more rarely, I'll drink a real Coke, but water it down because the sugar/HFCS content is just over the top for my palate.

I don't keep any Coke variant at home though, and I don't carry money when I run, so I've never had the chance to indulge. My guilty pleasure is lemonade (Newman's Own, similarly watered down) after a run.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:14 pm

After a workout and a meal I will often get that craving. Coke Zero for me.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
After a long workout (going from memory here) - water. Or Diet Squirt. Never a diet coke. Heck, I'm still that way even on minor workouts. h2o first, then diet squirt or diet vernors. but not h2o followed by those. Now weirdly enough, if I find my sugar level is off I reach for the latter two, even though they have the fake stuff. I don't get it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Interesitng you say that as I am always a firm believer in that sometimes you have to listen to your body. I was training for an ultra a few years ago and after my Friday long run (I detest running on a weekend) of about 5-6 hours I would crave Coke (which I never drink ordinarily) and salt and vinegar crisps - and I mean a craving like I have never had for anything else. I guess my body was telling me I needed more sugar and salt.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Interesitng you say that as I am always a firm believer in that sometimes you have to listen to your body. I was training for an ultra a few years ago and after my Friday long run (I detest running on a weekend) of about 5-6 hours I would crave Coke (which I never drink ordinarily) and salt and vinegar crisps - and I mean a craving like I have never had for anything else. I guess my body was telling me I needed more sugar and salt.
Right but what is my body craving, artificial sweetners??? That's the bit I don't get. A regular coke I could understand, but my craving is for diet!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Yep! I think that it is because Diet Coke feels so cold on my tongue which is a wonderful contrast to my otherwise miserably hot body. I think that I also crave the sweet flavor. Nothing will satisfy me like a Diet Coke.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Right but what is my body craving, artificial sweetners??? That's the bit I don't get. A regular coke I could understand, but my craving is for diet!
Yeah, you're right, you're a weirdo !
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Artificial sweetners are actually sweeter than sugar or HFCS. So you probably are craving the taste of sweetness.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:40 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm a big guzzler of water (not too cold) after a workout. Drinking carbonated beverages always felt weird to my body for some reason. (Probably just more habit than anything else.)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Diet coke is chock full o' sodium. Could be up to 160 mg or so in that Double Gulp. That's as much as a small order of McDonalds french fries.

That may well be what your body is craving after a long dehydrating run.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Artificial sweetners are actually sweeter than sugar or HFCS. So you probably are craving the taste of sweetness.
I buy this, or at least as it relates to me.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Diet coke is chock full o' sodium. Could be up to 160 mg or so in that Double Gulp. That's as much as a small order of McDonalds french fries.

That may well be what your body is craving after a long dehydrating run.
But is that specific to diet coke or coke in general? OP says he craves a diet coke.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
But is that specific to diet coke or coke in general? OP says he craves a diet coke.
About the same, but there's just a smidgen more sodium in regular coke

20 oz Coke: 75mg sodium
20 oz Diet Coke: 70mg sodium

A 64-oz double gulp would be well over 200mg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.