Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BeatCal
GUW is no wonder you are a wonder as you know more than the FAA, NSTB, FA unions and others. Go back to insulting the TSA ("another example of the TSA being unsuitable for an open, democratic country")
As you are in the air alot, perhaps you should ask your friendly FA what they think and how often they have seen object being held "fly"
Rely upon an FA to know about that which goes on flights? I fly more than most FAs. The FA unions are some of the worst of the lot in scare-mongering, so you can bet that I'll take what FA unions say with a grain of salt and then some unless
and until their claims are scrutinized and backed by empirical data.

I hold no pretenses about knowing more than well resourced institutions, but I -am well capable of knowing or finding out when narratives being peddled on FT in the name of safety or security are anything but wholly accurate. And I have not been shy in identifying the scare-mongering and inaccuracies that are part of some narratives on FT, including in this thread.

Unlike perhaps some others, I'm perfectly fine with finding out when my posts include inaccuracies. But I've yet to see that kind of thing take place in quite some days and then some. You're welcome to try to start if you can show that FAs sell cars seats on flights or that 9G forces are all that commonly causing passenger injuries in-flight on flights that don't crash.

Isn't parental/caretaker cellphone use around small children more of a danger to children than parents flying their child around as a lapchild is? Ban cellphone ownership by parents of young children? No cost too great to try to achieve the mythical zero risk?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rely upon an FA to know about that which goes on flights? I fly more than most FAs.

U You're welcome to try to start if you can show that FAs sell cars seats on flights or that 9G forces are all that commonly causing passenger injuries in-flight on flights that don't crash.
FAs do know how many things go "flying"
I stated that they don't sell on-line, but their stores do and they developed the restraint.

9 g is the physics. Do the equation yourself!

Done with you!!!

and yes turbulence is the cause of most injuries on flights that don't crash.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

FAs do know how many things go "flying"
I stated that they don't sell on-line, but their stores do and they developed the restraint.

9 g is the physics. Do the equation yourself!

Done with you!!!

and yes turbulence is the cause of most injuries on flights that don't crash.
Most injuries on flights are minor, and a substantial proportion of those have little or nothing to do with in-flight turbulence. As turbulence becomes more extreme and involves the element of being less expected until it hits, injuries related to turbulence increase. But most in-flight injuries are also not leading to hospitalization or morgue visits upon plane touching the ground.

A child on a lap on a plane is far less likely to end up hospitalized for a plane-related injury than a child in a car seat ends up hospitalized for a car-related injury. Without a doubt, child restraint systems are designed and do generally reduce the risk of injury or death (when used properly) for the risk for which they are meant to address,, but that doesn't mean that people are necessarily being negligent by flying with a lap child. We don't live in a world of zero risk and infinite resources to eliminate any and all risks; and also some risk-mitigation efforts aren't free of risk-aggravating side-effects.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Most injuries on flights are minor, and a substantial proportion of those have little or nothing to do with in-flight turbulence. As turbulence becomes more extreme and involves the element of being less expected until it hits, injuries related to turbulence increase. But most in-flight injuries are also not leading to hospitalization or morgue visits upon plane touching the ground.

A child on a lap on a plane is far less likely to end up hospitalized for a plane-related injury than a child in a car seat ends up hospitalized for a car-related injury. Without a doubt, child restraint systems are designed and do generally reduce the risk of injury or death (when used properly) for the risk for which they are meant to address,, but that doesn't mean that people are necessarily being negligent by flying with a lap child. We don't live in a world of zero risk and infinite resources to eliminate any and all risks; and also some risk-mitigation efforts aren't free of risk-aggravating side-effects.
A broken bone or a concussion is minor???? And per the FAA, a substantial number are caused by not being belted in.
VERY few kids in proper car seat in autos get injured except for side impact when they are not it the middle seat.
You really sound like a person from the 70s who fought car seats.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:12 pm
Suspended

A broken bone or a concussion is minor???? And per the FAA, a substantial number are caused by not being belted in.
VERY few kids in proper car seat in autos get injured except for side impact when they are not it the middle seat.
You really sound like a person from the 70s who fought car seats.
Broken bones and concussions are most injuries that happen on planes? No. Most injuries on planes are minor injuries.

Kids in car seats in cars do sometimes get injured in car accidents even when the car seat is in the middle seat.

Your last sentence above is not a characterization of me. I'm one of those people who help to have children seated in cars designed for rear-facing use way longer than is common in the US and in much more securely attached car seats than is common in "the land of the free and the home of the brave".
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Appreciate the dialog here, but to bring this back to my original question - seems like in business, a toddler in a car seat as about as safe as a toddler strapped using the regulation seat belt. Especially if she needs to be on two back to back 10 hour flights.

In case a car seat is still the consensus (or if my wife strongly feels that way), will this car seat pass muster with airlines, specifically UA and LH?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX8PM16?ref=emc_b_5_t&th=1

Thanks,
PIT_Flyer
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
Appreciate the dialog here, but to bring this back to my original question - seems like in business, a toddler in a car seat as about as safe as a toddler strapped using the regulation seat belt. Especially if she needs to be on two back to back 10 hour flights.

In case a car seat is still the consensus (or if my wife strongly feels that way), will this car seat pass muster with airlines, specifically UA and LH?

Thanks,
PIT_Flyer
I almost got thrown off a flight because a flight attendant demanded to see the flight worthiness of our Britax car seat. I found a sticker on the side of the seat that placated the FA after a stressful few minutes. I would memorize the location of that sticker and what it says, just in case you meet her on your flight.

I found my kids slept better in a car seat, but this was in Y, before I found Flyertalk. They couldn't unlatch themselves during takeoff or landing either.

By the way, there's possibly a recall on your car seat: https://pages.email.gracobaby.com/my...arness-recall/
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM
It amazes me how many people on this board argue against a car seat. My kids were the most important part of my life. I and other pediatric trauma surgeons report child abuse when we see an infant brought in who was not restrained
You report parents for that? Wow, you must have a real inflated sense of self.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frankmu
I almost got thrown off a flight because a flight attendant demanded to see the flight worthiness of our Britax car seat. I found a sticker on the side of the seat that placated the FA after a stressful few minutes. I would memorize the location of that sticker and what it says, just in case you meet her on your flight.

I found my kids slept better in a car seat, but this was in Y, before I found Flyertalk. They couldn't unlatch themselves during takeoff or landing either.
I've seen more than a couple of parents/guardians of young children have problems with FAs -- even on US carriers -- over wanting to use car seats or CARES system even when having their own ticketed seat for the infant/toddler. The labels showing FAA-approval are useful, but even then you may have to deal with FAs who can't believe it's allowed even when the FAA is fine with it. On some carriers, this has meant telling the FAs to go look it up in the airline manual. Reminds me of the quote: "by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail". So indeed prepare for use of CRSs in-flight before even getting to the airport.

There are children who do manage to play like Houdini in getting at least part of their upper torso out of child-restraint systems -- and that's an issue with CARES and with car seats. In-flight it's an issue in it's own way, but on the ground in an automobile, it should be a far more concerning issue.

It amazes me how many people on this board argue against a car seat. My kids were the most important part of my life. I and other pediatric trauma surgeons report child abuse when we see an infant brought in who was not restrained
Talk about possibly shooting first -- by reporting child abuse -- and asking questions later, if ever. Sometimes there are pretty good reasons for why a child may show up in a hospital/clinic for emergency care by getting there in a vehicle without a car seat. Do you do the same child abuse reporting when you observe or find out an infant or toddler on a flight was not in an FAA-approved CRS? It sounds like it. And when you see a boy come in who has been circumcised as an infant/toddler, does that get reported too? And how about when you see someone smoking cigars or cigarettes around a little child, perhaps even when in a confined space with the young child? And how about when a parent is drinking alcohol around the young child in their house or garden or at a restaurant or around a pool?

I understand the duty of reporting child abuse when there is child abuse; and I also understand the feeling of disapproval when seeing other behavior considered harmful taking place; but some people may risk coming across as "the boy who cried wolf" if they keep firing off what may be indiscriminate accusations of child abuse or when playing up a risk without looking at the broader context applicable to the well-being of a person.

Your "kids were the most important part of your life"? That's an interesting way to put things.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 27, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Kids in car seats in cars do sometimes get injured in car accidents even when the car seat is in the middle seat.
Per the national trauma data bank it is extremely rare. Such as when a car goes over a cliff
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer

Thanks,
PIT_Flyer
Well, generally when a child is around 40 lbs., he’s big enough to use the plane’s seatbelt, especially if the seatbelt is anchored forward of the bight. What’s that you say? That’s tech talk meaning that the seatbelt comes out of the plane seat a few inches in front of the crack of the seat.

Also
If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, the airline is responsible for accommodating the CRS in another seat in the same class of service. The airline may have polices that dictate the specific safe seat locations for specific aircraft. See Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems (PDF) to learn more. However, a CRS may not be used in oblique seats in certain premium class cabins. FAA guidance (PDF) to airlines explains this prohibition.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:01 pm

Car seat allowed on board for a 3.5 year old?

Hi,I am flying Emirates from US to India and I wanted to bring our car seat on board. The rep however says that car seat is allowed on board only for children under 2 years. For 2+ years we are supposed to check in.
Anyone know if this is true? Checking in just damages the car seat,so I don't want to do it,and I feel a car seat would be so much comfy on a long haul flight.
Suggestions?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

Talk about possibly shooting first -- by reporting child abuse -- and asking questions later, if ever. Sometimes there are pretty good reasons for why a child may show up in a hospital/clinic for emergency care by getting there in a vehicle without a car seat. Do you do the same child abuse reporting when you observe or find out an infant or toddler on a flight was not in an FAA-approved CRS? It sounds like it. And when you see a boy come in who has been circumcised as an infant/toddler, does that get reported too? And how about when you see someone smoking cigars or cigarettes around a little child, perhaps even when in a confined space with the young child? And how about when a parent is drinking alcohol around the young child in their house or garden or at a restaurant or around a pool?

Physicians are mandatory reporters under the law:
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/manda.pdf#page=3&view=Standards%20for%20making%20a %20report
"All States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands have statutes identifying persons who are required to report suspected child maltreatment to an appropriate agency, such as child protective services, a law enforcement agency, or a State’s toll-free child abuse reporting hotline."

Transporting an infant in a vehicle without a safety seat is in most circumstances a violation of the law. Mandatory reporters have a legal obligation to report "situations in which the reporter has knowledge of, or observes a child being subjected to, conditions that would reasonably result in harm to the child." - transporting an infant without a safety seat falls in that category according to the training I've had a mandatory reporter. If an investigation is deemed necessary, there would be someone to evalutate those "pretty good reasons" you mention, but they'd have to be pretty extraordinary to excuse violations of car seat laws. It is not the role of the physician to determine if those excuses are good enough.

So you can throw in lots of irrelevant and biased situations, but a physician who sees a child in their professional capacity must report violations of the laws pertaining to safety seats.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Physicians are mandatory reporters under the law:
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/manda.pdf#page=3&view=Standards%20for%20making%20a %20report
"All States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands have statutes identifying persons who are required to report suspected child maltreatment to an appropriate agency, such as child protective services, a law enforcement agency, or a State’s toll-free child abuse reporting hotline."

Transporting an infant in a vehicle without a safety seat is in most circumstances a violation of the law. Mandatory reporters have a legal obligation to report "situations in which the reporter has knowledge of, or observes a child being subjected to, conditions that would reasonably result in harm to the child." - transporting an infant without a safety seat falls in that category according to the training I've had a mandatory reporter. If an investigation is deemed necessary, there would be someone to evalutate those "pretty good reasons" you mention, but they'd have to be pretty extraordinary to excuse violations of car seat laws. It is not the role of the physician to determine if those excuses are good enough.

So you can throw in lots of irrelevant and biased situations, but a physician who sees a child in their professional capacity must report violations of the laws pertaining to safety seats.

None of the stipulated situations in my post are irrelevant; and all the situations that involve proverbially shooting first and asking questions later are biased, as there is a judgment call on reporting somethings but not other things that also posed a potential risk for the well-being of a child.

There is no such mandatory reporting requirement for children being flown without a car seat, and doing so is just a biased judgment call.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:09 am

None of the stipulated situations in my post are irrelevant; and all the situations that involve proverbially shooting first and asking questions later are biased, as there is a judgment call on reporting somethings but not other things that also posed a potential risk for the well-being of a child.
When the topic is child safety seats, yes, your comparisons to circumcision and cigarettes are completely out of place, bordering on a rant.

And feel free to keep arguing but the law requires children under certain ages/sizes to be restrained in car seats in most circumstances and if a mandatory reporter discovers that a child is not being properly restrained in a motor vehicle they are required to report that in most states. That's where the "mandatory" part comes in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.