Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Having the car seat is really beneficial, IMO. Children like familiarity, and nothing provides that for a multi-hour plane trip like the kid's car seat. Nearly all are FAA approved, and most fit on airplanes. I'd bring it, since it will help induce rest and sleep much better than just buckling him into the full-size airplane seat.
Excellent advice! Thanks so much.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"There has not been a preventable commercial aviation fatality of a child under 2 in 16 years," says FAA spokeswoman Alison Duquette.
This is the key point folks should take from this article. Things are fine the way they are, no need to force anyone to do anything.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
But ask him how many permanently brain injured children!

I have taken care of three over my career in pediatric surgery. All from flying objects when the plane dropped after hitting an air pocket
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Can anyone recommend any uk car seats that definitely fit in economy seats?

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by Byrneand

Thanks
Are you flying a U.K. airline? Most U.K. car seats need a shoulder belt to install and are therefore not air travel approved. Hopefully, someone there can help out. I used U.S. car seats and tried to fly Lufthansa or a U.S. company to avoid this problem.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓

Thanks
More information please! What airline are you flying and what is the plane type?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA

Thanks
The Britax website's FAQ lists a couple of models that are, approved by a (small) number of airlines; worth checking with the airline in question if they wilkl allow them onboard. Other manufacturers are out there of course but Britx have been our go-to brand for most of the the time. The Maxi-Cosi Pebble appears to ber certified as well, but again check with the retailer and airline as YMMV.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:34 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Britax's Eclipse is certified for Airplane use and available in the UK, there are also a couple of infant carriers including Maxi Cosi's Pebble
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:49 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Quick question: do you have a model which would be suitable from 9kg onwards, which is approved for airplanes and is less than 42cm wide, available in Europe?

This comes from the fact that my usual airline is klm, and they say you can bring an approved sear which fits between the armrests, i.e. 42cm wide max. I've checked for example the brita eclispe which is 45cm wide and thus too wide :-(
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:09 am

I might have missed it in the 18 pages of replies, but can anyone tell me if any car rental companies have car seats available for use? We're going to Hawaii this year, and I'd rather not take my daughter's bulky booster on the plane. I was hoping we could rent a booster along with a car at our destination, but if that's not possible, I may buy a cheap backless booster that will be easy to transport for the trip.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
I might have missed it in the 18 pages of replies, but can anyone tell me if any car rental companies have car seats available for use? We're going to Hawaii this year, and I'd rather not take my daughter's bulky booster on the plane. I was hoping we could rent a booster along with a car at our destination, but if that's not possible, I may buy a cheap backless booster that will be easy to transport for the trip.
If you just need a booster then its cheaper you bring a cheap one and even consider just leaving it in the rental car on the flight home. e.g. Avis charges 13$ per day, most others in the same range.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
Never rent. You don't know the history of the seat or whether or not it's clean (or available).

If she is big enough look at the Bubble Bum at Wal-Mart. It's an inflatable backless booster. Get it now and test it. A friend got one with a hole in it. So test it before your trip. You also want to test if your daughter to make sure it's likely shell sit properly in a backless booster. Some kids need the extra reminder of the back to not squirm.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:24 am

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I'll get one to bring along.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree with the "never rent" advice - I do it from time to time, but I know the risks in advance. There's always a chance that the seat you get will not be the best, or that it won't even be available. You need to have a backup plan if that occurs. If you're willing to accept that risk, renting is a great option, particularly for those of us who travel solo with our kids. So far, I've never had a problem renting.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
There is a cost/benefit also. If you're going to be there for some length of time, you could consider renting for a day, buying a cheap carseat from Walmart, and returning the rental. It could end up being cheaper and you could just leave it in the rental at the end.

Or you could try the bubble bum or something like the saferider vest. We have one and I really like the fact that it properly positions the seatbelt, particularly around the neck. Downside is that the kid is sitting much lower in the seat and may not be able to see out the windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.